BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Motorsport 3.91 ring and pinion set at a local shop. The installation went flawless without any whine. The problem now is that I’m getting the yellow transmission malfunction light each time I reach 49 to 51 mph and the clutch start slipping. As soon I’m out of that speed range the light goes out and the beast goes back to normal.
I took it to the stealer and they replace the rear speed sensors(34-52-2-282-781) and I think they re-flash the car to the latest software. They told me it was fix, but the car is still the same.

My beast is a 2010 E60 M5 SMG

Codes: 520B, 5201, 5202

Any help appreciate it…

Thanks,
Edward

Attachments

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Did you perform the double paddle pull SMG reset afterwards? This calibrates the wheel speed sensor for the rear which provides input to the SMG. It is recommended any time tire diameter changes and a diff swap would by be sensed in the same manner.

The error translates to "implausible signal" for the left rear wheel speed sensor.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did it the first time it came out of the indy, but not after I took it to the dealer. I will try it right now...

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Same thing happened to me after my Dinan diff installation.

It turned out to be the clutch position sensor. Had nothing to do with the diff install. Just coincidence.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
599 Posts
Google FluidMotorUnion for help. They installed mine and know what they're doing.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
I just realized this is not a function of wheel speed , but transmission speed. There is a mid shaft speed sensor on the right side if the trans bell housing. This is the one that feeds the SMG. It could be related to this or possibly a function if programming to recognize the 3.91 properly since the SMG and DME use those values interactively.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Do you remember the codes you had at that time?
Can't say for sure, but I think it is what is circled in red. Maybe Jcolley can provide input on my service receipt.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,988 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can't say for sure, but I think it is what is circled in red. Maybe Jcolley can provide input on my service receipt.
Thanks! I ordered the clutch position sensor today. I will install it this Saturday. I have no code for it, but my problem is very similar to what happened to you...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just realized this is not a function of wheel speed , but transmission speed. There is a mid shaft speed sensor on the right side if the trans bell housing. This is the one that feeds the SMG. It could be related to this or possibly a function if programming to recognize the 3.91 properly since the SMG and DME use those values interactively.

Thanks for giving thought to my problem. Is a very rare one. Besides mdyaman thread, there's nothing documented about it on any forum.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Are you talking about the (14)Pulse sensor crankshaft/transmission 13627525015?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
When you change diff ratios don't the driveshaft speed in relation to wheel speed change ? No one that has done this know if any adaptation or coding has to be done when final gear ratio is changed?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts