BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have done a search which does not show up that anyone has replaced a 3.6 engine with a 3.8 ?. Is this correct ?

From my best guess efforts I assume you would need the 3.8 engine loom and ecu, the engine in question is from a 1994 car, good service history and low miles, so it does not have the EWS, and immobilizer, so no ignition key issues.
The engine is complete with all componets, so no worry's there.

A 3.8 propshaft, as I have also have sourced a very good 6 speed box, and a shorter Gear linkage, a Short Shift Kit from UUC or Rougue would sort that out.

From what else I can see it is plug and play, not quite as simple as that, but I can not see anything else that would be a major obstacle in doing this.

Reason for all this is that we have a very good 3.6 Car that we have had from new, and is still in very good condition, apart from the engine which is starting to feel a little tired.
The cost of the estimate to remove the engine, regrind the crank, slight skim to the head, new piston rings, regrind in the valves, fit 3.8 Cam sprockets, Upgrade chip, is about circa 2500.00 plus the VAT.
So it will be well over 3000.00 for a car that is worth, well somewhere around 3000.00

The replacement engine and box with all the bits comes to 1650.00 plus the labour which is quoted as 750.00 plus vat, less the salvage on the original 3.6 engine and box, say 1000.00, and 1500.00 or thereabouts, it makes sense.

So has anyone here done the 3.8 for the 3.6 swap ?

Many thanks,

The Gorilla.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Or just sell the 3.6 complete and buy a 3.8 - shouldn't be more than £2k difference in price.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, we did consider this as a serious option, but the 3.6 is quite nice in that it has the full Charcol Black Buffalo hide to all seats, door cards, centre console and the underdash and Glove box.

I have never seen another UK car like it.

It is still in amazing condition, puts a lot of newer cars to shame.

The dash is not like other Uk models either in that it is all colour matched to everything.

So given that 1600 -1800 would give it another good 60-80,000 fun miles then prehaps you can see the dilema.

So anybody got any information of the 3.8 into the 3.6 ?

Regards,

The Gorilla.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Remember that the 3.8 with a six speed box uses a different diff than the five speed cars. You said you have the engine, gearbox and prop-shaft, but you didn't mention the diff.

Make sure your donor engine has all the ancillaries like aircon compressors as all the brackets etc are different on the 3.6. You really need a complete turnkey engine.

I would say that before undertaking anything, call the insurance company, as they tend to add a zero to your insurance quote because they lump bigger engine upgrades in with mods like "Turbocharger" and "Nitrous". You might find both the cost of insuring it and the "not-standard-car" drop in residual value of the vehicle offputting.

I reckon you should just sell as is and buy a 3.8 with recent shocks, if you change at all!!

Ivan.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
The Gorilla said:
it has the full Charcol Black Buffalo hide to all seats, door cards, centre console and the underdash and Glove box.The dash is not like other Uk models either in that it is all colour matched to everything.
Have you any pics or a copy of the build sheet showing the option number?
Be interested to see the difference between Charcaol Black Buffalo and my um... just Black Leather!!
BMW said to me they did three different "blacks" in leather when I tried to get a match for something.

Ivan.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IvanDias said:
Have you any pics or a copy of the build sheet showing the option number?
Be interested to see the difference between Charcaol Black Buffalo and my um... just Black Leather!!
BMW said to me they did three different "blacks" in leather when I tried to get a match for something.

Ivan.
Hi,

0322 Voll - Leder Buffalo Siamgrau 11 7,754,39 Dm.

I can not scan the original Invoice in, but this is the Buffalo Leather as shown on the Car Purchase Invoice, hope it assists.

The Gorilla.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Do not skim the head as there is next to zero tolerance.

I believe a reface is poss but not a skim.

Of course you need to check it out for yourself :byee55amg

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
On one changes to 3.8 from 3.6 because there is simply hardly any difference in real world driving.

I bought my first 3.6 from a member here and he drove Kurt Ramsdens 3.8 and reported back that there was hardly any difference in performance. At the end of the day its only 8% more power and once a 3.6 is well tuned the torque spread isnt that different either.

Bexley Motorworks have driven my current 3.6 and when he came back he opened the bonnet to check if had an 3.8 engine swap. My 3.6 has a performance chip.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi,
It seems I am facing an option either to rebuild or replace my engine. Apparently the block cracked as coolant is leaking through it. I don't think such a condition is possible to repair. In this context, please advise if it is possible to fit a 3.8 engine onto the existing 3.6 powertrain?

Regards

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Eryk_PL said:
Hi,
It seems I am facing an option either to rebuild or replace my engine. Apparently the block cracked as coolant is leaking through it. I don't think such a condition is possible to repair. In this context, please advise if it is possible to fit a 3.8 engine onto the existing 3.6 powertrain?

Regards
Yes its possible.
But..
You will need to change the whole thing including the engine management & the ancilliaries. The coil pack ignition system & wiring is required from the 3.8 too.
I would check for compatibility of air con components like condenser & check the size of the cooling pack radiator just to make sure.

It really has to be all or nothing to be safe.

I think it has been done before so just be thorough & dont take it for granted that ancilliary parts are the same.

Good luck.

Farrell

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks Farrell,

I am trying to be patient and thorough with this, although it does not come easy... It really hurts to have lifted the head and seen what I did - a cracked piston top, ruined cylinder surface, etc. (someone must have botched an engine job at some point before I bought the car), plus the mentioned leak through the block... rebuilding this would clearly be more expensive than buying a replacement engine, particularly with the cost of those valves and pistons...
I have already found a couple of 3.6 engines for sale in Germany, though upgrading to a 3.8 is a little bit tempting... Will keep on browsing over the weekend and see how things sort out.

Best to you

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Just buy a replacement 3.6 engine. Much easier and cheaper.

NO real world driving difference between the two engines in reality according to some very reliable sources who have had both cars. The 3.8 feels more torquey low down but once the 3.6 has been breathed upon with a remap the difference is not felt that much.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks Cyrus

I agree that is a much more reasonable solution, no unpleasant surprises on the way...
I see an allegedly 170,000 km 3.6 engine for 2000 EURO advertised in Germany, does it seem like a sensible offer?
Another one quotes 100,000 km since engine overhaul, demands 2200 EURO. Which one would be more worthwhile looking at?

Regards

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Eryk_PL said:
Thanks Cyrus

I agree that is a much more reasonable solution, no unpleasant surprises on the way...
I see an allegedly 170,000 km 3.6 engine for 2000 EURO advertised in Germany, does it seem like a sensible offer?
Another one quotes 100,000 km since engine overhaul, demands 2200 EURO. Which one would be more worthwhile looking at?

Regards
Who did the overhaul or rebuild ?
Is there paperwork supporting what has been done or a contact to confirm with the company who did the work on the engine.
2000 euros is a good price but you have have some Guarantees even itf its only a month to fit it & run it to check its operation.

Regards
Farrell

·
Registered
38 Posts
farrell said:
Who did the overhaul or rebuild ?
Is there paperwork supporting what has been done or a contact to confirm with the company who did the work on the engine.
Thanks for the suggestion, I've just sent an email asking about these details....

Regards
Eryk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts