BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do so many 3.8's blow up?

Every month I read another 3.8 has put a ole in the side of the block.

Why is this?

Aso, alot of 3.8's seem to go wrong alot more than the 3.6's.

Why is this?

·
Registered
320 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Cyrus said:
Why is this?
Why is this?
-
hearsay and rumours, normally it is the driver/owner who is the problem and not the engine - :byebye:
it just might be that the 3.8 is a little less forgiving to -incorrect- treatment like 'pedal to the metal' with low oil-temp etc. and needs a little more care
with warming up AND cooling down BUT with proper treatment and that
INCLUDES HARD DRIVING the engine will hold, there are cars out there with
400.000 km - also the rpm-limiter does NOT work at down-shift, i.e. down-shift from 5th to 2nd in high speed is NOT a good idea, it can happen to the best though ouich grrrrrrr

·
Registered
191 Posts
The 3.6 is considered more reliable because it is less tweaked. The distance between essential parts of the motor are greater than in the 3.8, and this means that the 3.6 has a greater "screw-up safety margin".

Still, when you hear of the 3.8s getting busted, it is usually because of maintenance carelessness of either the owner or the owner before him...

The 3.8s are more sensitive to maintenance. However, as long as this is carried out properly, these engines should not be a problem and are good for a couple of hundred thousand miles.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Cyrus said:

Why is this?

Why is this?
Where are you hearing of these incidents?
In 4 years of ownership I've only seen/heard of a handful of terminal engine problems with the 3.8.
Nothing compared with the number of E39 M5/E46 M3 engines that are being rebuilt/replaced.

I think the general consensus is that they are very reliable.

Cheers,
Bryn.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Just out of interest I was at the dealers yesterday and I priced an engine, complete less ancilliaries - £8000 odd plus VAT, inc 15% mark up.
I'm just going to top up my oil ! inspection 2 might be in order as well.
cheers,
Phil.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Phlem5 said:
Just out of interest I was at the dealers yesterday and I priced an engine, complete less ancilliaries - £8000 odd plus VAT, inc 15% mark up.
I'm just going to top up my oil ! inspection 2 might be in order as well.
cheers,
Phil.
Mine had a new engine, gearbox, exhaust system about 80,000 miles ago due to BMW 'technician' error.

The total bill including VAT and labour (£80/hr) was £22k - at today's labour rates (£120/hr) I could see it being closer to £25k!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.