BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

3.62 rear end review

6K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  Deepan 
#1 ·
Just checking in to say I've had the 3.62 rear end fitted and oh my gosh, what a transformation,

I don't care what anybody says in the countless threads where people talk of there not being a real difference in overall acceleration from 0-100mph - I'm absolutely positive that my car right now will put lengths on a 3.15 M5 over the standing quarter.

The sheer brute force in the low gears at any throttle input is poetry. So sharp, so angry and the speedo sweeps so nicely. I was impressed with my last M5 which only had alpha N tune and cold air intakes, but this one I'm sure will be very special and super enjoyable on the street and highway. if anybody has any doubts about it - just do it. You won't regret it.

So far with this car, I have:
  • New Bosch lambda's
  • Alpha N tune
  • IAT relocation
  • 3.62 final drive
  • Nankang 295 30 18 AR-1 tyres
  • Adaptations reset

First gear, while short, is just a blur...I love it. Second gear is similarly fast and just sears it's way to around 60mph at 7300rpm. Third and so on...I love it. Traction in first gear is a bit hairy at WOT, but that's part of the fun, isn't it? Hence, why I am running such wide, sticky tyres. Highway driving is equally lovely...a light dab of the throttle is all I need to smoothly, but purposefully overtake cars. Light to medium throttle around town is so satisfying and so much fun.

Next up for me will be fresh spark plugs, cold air intake and then headers in the spring. If I can gain another 40hp at the top end with those, this thing will be sublime!

See less See more
#3 ·
I can't remember tbh. At a guess, somewhere around the 3000rpm mark. It's not a million miles off where it used to be and the car guzzles fuel no matter how it's driven. I'll try to remember to make a note of it and post back.

But don't think about it....do it.

#7 ·
I can see why tbh. I was driving it this evening and the way it pulls in first and second gear is so beautifully forceful. On country roads, it's such a blast! At WOT from 60-100mph it reminds me of my E63 AMG when it was stock. Approx 5.5-6 seconds. The 60-80mph in that car was around 2.2 seconds. This car is in the 2.4 second range now. I believe stock is around 2.7 seconds. Looking forward to getting some CAI's now.

Are the 295 30 18 installed on the stock rear rim?
Indeed, just as Bimmerbear said, it fits, but with a bit of a bulge.

I took some speedo pics for you guys in 6th gear at various speeds, for reference:

Just under 90mph

http://www.ranarahman.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/20191021_211442-e1571708404982.jpg[\img]

Around 80mph
[img]http://www.ranarahman.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/20191021_211448-e1571708489733.jpg[\img]

Around 70mph
[img]http://www.ranarahman.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/20191021_211454-e1571708534635.jpg[\img]

#5 ·
Just checking in to say I've had the 3.62 rear end fitted and oh my gosh, what a transformation,

I don't care what anybody says in the countless threads where people talk of there not being a real difference in overall acceleration from 0-100mph - I'm absolutely positive that my car right now will put lengths on a 3.15 M5 over the standing quarter.

The sheer brute force in the low gears at any throttle input is poetry. So sharp, so angry and the speedo sweeps so nicely. I was impressed with my last M5 which only had alpha N tune and cold air intakes, but this one I'm sure will be very special and super enjoyable on the street and highway. if anybody has any doubts about it - just do it. You won't regret it.

So far with this car, I have:
  • New Bosch lambda's
  • Alpha N tune
  • IAT relocation
  • 3.62 final drive
  • Nankang 295 30 18 AR-1 tyres
  • Adaptations reset
First gear, while short, is just a blur...I love it. Second gear is similarly fast and just sears it's way to around 60mph at 7300rpm. Third and so on...I love it. Traction in first gear is a bit hairy at WOT, but that's part of the fun, isn't it? Hence, why I am running such wide, sticky tyres. Highway driving is equally lovely...a light dab of the throttle is all I need to smoothly, but purposefully overtake cars. Light to medium throttle around town is so satisfying and so much fun.

Next up for me will be fresh spark plugs, cold air intake and then headers in the spring. If I can gain another 40hp at the top end with those, this thing will be sublime!
Are the 295 30 18 installed on the stock rear rim?

#8 ·
Cool.
Do yourself a favor and put on better tires on the car. Nankangs are junk.

#12 ·
Yes, I know AR1s. I guess junk was a bit of a strong word for it, but they are very average tires.

#14 ·
Celicasaur

What 3.62 rear end did you go with?
A guy on eBay was selling one that came out from his E46 M3 ?

Tacho pics again, seeing as I can't edit my post above:

Just under 90mph

Around 80mph

Around 70mph

I can see how it’s enjoyable until you reach 100/110mph. Past that, those forced induction guys will pull and eventually disappear.

for many years I wanted to get stock e39 m5 for daily and keep my S/C M5 for special occasions and this is what I’ll say. Once you go forced induction it’s difficult to go back. However, my F10 is probably the fastest thing I’ve driven, but being an M fan I have mixed feelings about the F10 being an M car and am now considering to go back to the v10 that I regret selling.

Didn’t mean to go off topic, but if anyone wants to begin the e60 and F10 debate, feel free to start a new thread.
True. Truth be told though, I'm an N/A guy and I'd not be happy if I used F/I on an engine as beautifully crafted as the S62. Besides, I have other cars which are better suited for going even faster, albeit with turbo's attached to them.

F10...yep, brutally fast when tuned (they trap over 130mph don't they?), but not as 'special' as the E39 or E60 M5s. I must admit, I'm getting a pretty bad itch for an E60 M5 nowadays. That high rpm surge from the S85 is the money shot! :) Modern cars just don't do it for me, no matter how fast they are.

#13 ·
I can see how it’s enjoyable until you reach 100/110mph. Past that, those forced induction guys will pull and eventually disappear.

for many years I wanted to get stock e39 m5 for daily and keep my S/C M5 for special occasions and this is what I’ll say. Once you go forced induction it’s difficult to go back. However, my F10 is probably the fastest thing I’ve driven, but being an M fan I have mixed feelings about the F10 being an M car and am now considering to go back to the v10 that I regret selling.

Didn’t mean to go off topic, but if anyone wants to begin the e60 and F10 debate, feel free to start a new thread.

#16 ·
911?

#19 ·
Cool. F10 I don't really care much about. I don't know if I could ever let go of E46 again, though. I have done it 3 times, and every time I'd go and buy another one withing months (sometimes weeks) of selling. I think I will always have E46M in my stable.

#23 ·
Thanks. I got 285’s to fit with heavy rolling and neg camber but thought that was limit on width. Would love to fit 295’s. Looks so good from rear.

Want to stay with stock wheel though.
There was a guy a while ago who had an LS swapped (I think) 540 and was able to fit 315s in the rear on widened M-Parallels. I remember him not recommending it to anyone because he had to remove the fender liners and do non-standard suspension modifications.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.