BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car had brand new springs and shocks fitted by BMW last year. But im not that impressed with the handling nor the ride quailty. Its a bit fidgety to be honest and boats a bit round corners. Is this normal?

What can be done to cure this?

Can worn Anti Roll bar links cause this?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Cyrus

I have driven several 3.6 M5s of mileage 50k to 120k miles. All had a very heavy feel to them and bumps are absorbed with a heavy damped feel to them. The car should not have secondary harmonics when encountering bumps. If it does, depending on speeds, it could be a multitude of items.

From your description that your car tends to boat (wallow like sawing on the steering wheel aka nascar style through a constant radius corner) through corners then I believe you may have loose or soft bushings allowing the suspension components to have geometry changes. This will definitely make the car feel sloppy in mild to heavy steady state cornering.

HTH ;)

Greg A

1995 M5

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply,

It does have a really heavy feel to it, maybe IM being too fussy here, i was driving over some very uneven surfaces (central London).
The boating issue, I just took it out and went round some roundabouts etc.......I think Im just too used to the E30 having Zero roll with the H&R suspension. The M5 does change direction very quickly and only leans a bit......

I will go and change the thing(s) that are causing the clonking noises at the front, then I will report back.

·
Registered
46 Posts
M5 is a very heavy car. Smooth input to steering and throttle to get the best handling. Not a M3 by any standard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts