BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I am building finally my toy E24 M6 with S38-B36.

I have 180psi on all 6 cylinders +/- 1-2psi means they are very very even. Is this 180 number OK ?

180psi form 3.6 with 10.0 compression ration I think sound good but extra opinion is always helpful

On my previous E30 M3 3.6 rebuild with 10.5 compression I pulled 220psi all across on compete rebuild engine. Also on my 3.8 I have sitting in my garage ready for my second m3 has 220psi all across.

Hardware will be all new. Chain, all guides, tenssioner, the head will be cleaned form carbon, the valve as well, bearings. I am planning to take the pistons out and do re-honing on the cylinder in order to extend the engine live.

Thanks
Anri

·
Registered
1995 BMW M5 Touring Individual Orinoco over Petrol Mint
617 Posts
A leakdown will tell you exactly how much you are losing. I'd rely more on that than compression numbers which
vary greatly with altitude, ambient temps, atmospheric pressure, etc.

The fact that the chambers are so close is an excellent sign but they could all be worn evenly which is why a
leakdown is better.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Manuel,
You are very right, I will do leak down test tomorrow to see. But in general know if the engine has good and even compression leak down will be good as well.

Anri

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
I would be happy with those figures .

As Manuel says , the fact they are all so even is a good sign .

D

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave,

Yes, I am happy with these numbers as well not to mention after valve job and clean the carbon around the valves it will race another 5-10psi all across.

Thanks
guys

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Anri,

You sold the black E30 S38?

I liked that one.

-Josh
Yes Mr. Joshua its has been sold...

When are you going to complete your project ? I would like to see your work done with dyno.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts