BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
another thing i am a little confused about. which diff. is the best for the money. dinan or rds sport? and whats the difference between the two?
and remember this beast will be supercharged in a few months.

emperor

ouich:confused3:eek:oohhh::viking:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
At the time, I went with the Dinan Diff and had my local dealer do the install along with some other stuff. I am guessing, but I suspect Dinan does not make the diff, but buys it from another manufacturer. I am happy with it, have not had any problems (knock on wood). One thing I did do was at about 1200 miles on the new gears, I had the Diff gear oil changed just like if the car was brand new. Ant wear in metal gets flushed out. :1:

Good Luck on your project.. don't forget, pictures to share!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,997 Posts
If your supercharging the car i woun't go with a new diff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WHY NOT? PLEASE ELABORATE ON WHY YOU WOULDN'T CHANGE THE DIFF. IF YOU WERE SUPERCHARGING THE BEAST.

EMPEROR
:M5rev: :M5launch:

Jayson said:
If your supercharging the car i woun't go with a new diff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,997 Posts
EMPEROR said:
WHY NOT? PLEASE ELABORATE ON WHY YOU WOULDN'T CHANGE THE DIFF. IF YOU WERE SUPERCHARGING THE BEAST.

EMPEROR
:M5rev: :M5launch:
When you add the supercharger say you end up with around 600hp at the crank, thats 200 more than stock and will make the engine rev much more freely, if you have the higher diff with that, your just gonna end up with more shifting, taking away some of that added quickness. If you really feel you want it i say save it for after. Really you may end up looking to do a custom diff or completly custom gearing to go with the new power to complement it better...Really though this is gonna take some r/d work once the blower is on and setup and completely tested...and hopefully who ever is doing the work for you is thinking about these things. when you really look at changing a cars performance you have to do more than just the engine...ie traction becomes key, all the power in the world means nothing if you dont' put it down. suspenpension becuz you can't take more speed into a corner if the suspension is maxed out...that just means more braking and then of course you have the brakes as the result...you can see where i'm going i'm sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate your input on the matter as i am not that familier with the diff. i would like see what people who have already superchargered their beasets have to say about this topic.

emperor:M5launch: :M5rev:


Jayson said:
When you add the supercharger say you end up with around 600hp at the crank, thats 200 more than stock and will make the engine rev much more freely, if you have the higher diff with that, your just gonna end up with more shifting, taking away some of that added quickness. If you really feel you want it i say save it for after. Really you may end up looking to do a custom diff or completly custom gearing to go with the new power to complement it better...Really though this is gonna take some r/d work once the blower is on and setup and completely tested...and hopefully who ever is doing the work for you is thinking about these things. when you really look at changing a cars performance you have to do more than just the engine...ie traction becomes key, all the power in the world means nothing if you dont' put it down. suspenpension becuz you can't take more speed into a corner if the suspension is maxed out...that just means more braking and then of course you have the brakes as the result...you can see where i'm going i'm sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,997 Posts
EMPEROR said:
I appreciate your input on the matter as i am not that familier with the diff. i would like see what people who have already superchargered their beasets have to say about this topic.

emperor:M5launch: :M5rev:
I understand, but let me add this just so you know where i'm coming from...although i did not supercharge my m5, i did supercharge another car and went through all of this...So I do know what your going through. Also consider carefull the money you are going to put into this car it may be better to spend it on somthing already faster and better in certain area's...IE a Noble M12. Not trying to change your mind just making you aware to consider that in the end it may still not be what you want even if it is a monster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jayson i didn't mean it that way. i really appreciate your honesty and the info you have provided. it's just so much to think about. here is my dilemma I have a 2001 X5 4.4is and I am getting a 2005 760LI in about a month or so, just waiting for it to come in. so I figure that i tweak out the M5 for pleasure and to make it more of a track car and faster car. i most likely will be getting the M6 8 months after it come out. but until than i want somethjing awesome and something that i can be proud of as far as the upgrades go. as you can tell I am total BMW nut. what do you think of my other issues on my other threads.

emperor
:M5rev: :M5launch:


Jayson said:
I understand, but let me add this just so you know where i'm coming from...although i did not supercharge my m5, i did supercharge another car and went through all of this...So I do know what your going through. Also consider carefull the money you are going to put into this car it may be better to spend it on somthing already faster and better in certain area's...IE a Noble M12. Not trying to change your mind just making you aware to consider that in the end it may still not be what you want even if it is a monster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,997 Posts
EMPEROR said:
jayson i didn't mean it that way. i really appreciate your honesty and the info you have provided. it's just so much to think about. here is my dilemma I have a 2001 X5 4.4is and I am getting a 2005 760LI in about a month or so, just waiting for it to come in. so I figure that i tweak out the M5 for pleasure and to make it more of a track car and faster car. i most likely will be getting the M6 8 months after it come out. but until than i want somethjing awesome and something that i can be proud of as far as the upgrades go. as you can tell I am total BMW nut. what do you think of my other issues on my other threads.

emperor
:M5rev: :M5launch:
No problem I didn't take it that way, just wanted you to understand or anybody reading this for that matter i do have some backround, i'm not pulling info out of my bum :)
I dig what your saying, it's a tuff choice, for me i think at this point in my life i'd buy a dedicated track car if i really wanted to be fast out there...but right now taking the m5 and upping certain areas and tracking from time to time is enough....It's all up to you and how far you want to go , and thats my advice, just beaware of how far you want somthing to go and what you will really use it for...sometimes slower on the street is more fun because it becomes harder to use the limits as they increase.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top