BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer changed me this week the elements to eliminate the VANOS-diesel-sound, it took 3 days.
Result : OK, no more diesel sound even when engine warm, and no more at startups.

That's the first time they install this 2nd version, but they told me that the 1st version wasn't very successful, customers had the noise again after ~5000 miles.

They don't know if the 2nd will be more successful, all they know is that BMW tols them that they finally found the solution with this 2nd version.
Of course I'll post if the VANOS noise come again... (Hope not !)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
...and maybe a synopsis of what actually gets changed

(I'm also fishing for message 10000 here...let's see...)

·
Registered
158 Posts
FOLKS:

this is at least the second time (third? fourth?) that someone has had a "magical VANOS fix" installed and provided zero hard data on it here (except to say "magic happened", which while interesting, isn't entirely useful).

personally, i'm fairly convinced there is no such fix - especially given that BMW keeps telling us there is no such fix.

some hard data would be WAY useful, please.

SAB

------------------
'00 M5
'01 M Roadster (on order)
98.5 A4QS (it snows here)

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
In addition to part numbers how about some pictures Tom.

My car has no vanos problem, I love the sound of the engine.

Oil comsumption isn't bad either. Rick reports oil consumption down after 5000 miles as expected for a high perfomance engine.

Open your oil filler cap and see "vanos" chains and maybe you can see how that distinctive sound is made.

Vanos provides the extra torque at low rpms we all love. Get happy and quit
worrying.

------------------
Jim
07/00 M5 Titanium over Red

[This message has been edited by Jim Dolan (edited 26 October 2000).]

·
Registered
216 Posts
SAB,

So far, all the "magic fix" that you referred to posted on this site were done by people outside of the USA.

I believe it's only BMWNA that you've talked with that had always denied knowledge of such a problem.

I on the other hand would trust such problem does exist but no fixes were provided in North America.

I won't go as far as doubting other people's posting (why should they collectively lie to you?) especially when the disel noise is really driving me nuts whenever mine idles.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I won't go as far as doubting other people's posting (why should they collectively lie to you?) especially when the disel noise is really driving me nuts whenever mine idles.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Brian, why don't you upload a sound clip of the noise. Maybe in your case your right. But this is a performance engine, not a luxury car engine. It's expected to be loud.

------------------
Jim
07/00 M5 Titanium over Red

·
Registered
263 Posts
I´ve had my VANOS fixed about 3 months ago - and it did´nt help AT ALL !!! I was told by the dealer that my kit infact was the 2nd VANOS repair-kit....but as I see it - the problem can´t be fixed, and is given BMW M grey hairs. The Z8 has the noise as well.

If you really DON´T have the noise anymore PLEASE POST THE P/N ASAP !! Thanks...

I hope to visit the M-factory soon, and I will bring up this subject to hear if there´s hope for us "diesel" M5 owners.

Don´t get me wrong - I LOOOOVE my M5, but i HAAAATE the 530D sound of it...

Nille

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Some people are sooooo touchy...

Mine has a light diesel sound to it, doesn't bother me, maybe there are cars that are louder but I haven't encountered one.

·
Registered
158 Posts
my apologies - i didn't mean to imply that anybody was making this stuff up!

just frustrated that nobody on planet earth seems to be able to get hard data about this.

sab

------------------
'00 M5
'01 M Roadster (on order)
98.5 A4QS (it snows here)

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Can anyone say with any degree of certainty that if you have this noise, over the long run, will it harm the engine? If its just an annoying noise then I can live with it until they resolve it- if its gonna damage the engine, then I want them on it pronto!

ME

·
Registered
77 Posts
Although I have less than thirty miles on my '01, I did immediately listen for the sound as soon as I picked up the car due to all the notes on this board about it. I am very familar with what a diesel sounds like so I was able to pick it out right away.

My brand new '01 does have this sound, but it is very low volume and you would have to be listening for it to hear it. It is nowhere near annoying at this point. My hope is that it isn't a sound the gets louder as the engine wears. Time will tell.

Mark

·
Registered
73 Posts
I hope anyone could help. My 2001 m5 just got 68 miles ,but when i start up the engene i can hear from the engene has high and low kind of like 2 tone sound after the car warm up it dissapears. is that call the "dissel"sound?
i called the bmw mahattan they say that's just bc m5 has two fan. i don't know if that is true

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
All,

I am headed to the M5 Driving Experience this coming week (Thursday and Friday)...and I plan on holding someone at BMW NA hostage in Spartanburg until I get a straight answer on this VANOS issue! Of course, I am kidding on the hostage thing... but I do plan on grilling them and giving them a piece of my mind on this!!!!!

I will let you all know what the official line is from BMW when I return?...

details to come?....

Andy M.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts