BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, it's time for a second update. My original posts can be found here: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1131589

Please read the above post if you want the full background on my story. In brief summary, I had been experiencing slippage and a high clutch engagement point on the original setup. I had called Rob at UUC and he suggested that it was possibly a leaking rear main seal causing the slippage. Turned out that the rear main seal was fine but the clutch disk had some unusual wear patterns (link to pics in old post).

Rob had my mechanic shorten the slave valve pin by filing it down. We also swapped out the disk for a new one. At first, the engagement position seemed to be lower but it has gradually crept upward. It is nearly at the top now. I have not really noticed any slipping but I do smell some serious burnt clutch smell when I get home from a spirited trip.

I've called Rob and he suggested that I might need to bleed the clutch slave/ brake fluid. I have not yet done this. Anyone have any thoughts? I'm really hoping I don't need to drop my exhaust for a third time. It ain't cheap!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
im on my 2nd v8 clutch and i have had no issues with both. 95k on the beast and running strong

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any feedback? Does the bleeding of the clutch slave make sense?

Thanks

·
Registered
723 Posts
bleeding the clutch slave is easy to do and doesn't require removing of the exhaust, so it wouldn't hurt to do it. To me it sounds like something else is wrong however.

Just to be clear, you have the V8 version of the flywheel/clutch upgrade correct? Many people have had very good luck with the V12 package. You are the first I've heard of running the V8 package. If that package uses the same clutch/pressure plate as the directfit product, you may want to research some posts here regarding that setup. There may have been an issue with the pressure plate for that setup which now seems to be resolved.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, I've got the V12 setup

No, I've got the V12 clutch setup. Looks like m5 Deamon has the V8 setup.

I agree that it doesn't sound like bleeding the clutch slave would make much of a difference. Particularly the "burnt clutch smell" that I get after driving hard. By the way, when I drive the car hard, I make sure that the clutch is fully engaged before hitting the throttle hard. In other words, I do not keep my foot on the clutch pedal at all when I am accelerating.

Thanks!

bleeding the clutch slave is easy to do and doesn't require removing of the exhaust, so it wouldn't hurt to do it. To me it sounds like something else is wrong however.

Just to be clear, you have the V8 version of the flywheel/clutch upgrade correct? Many people have had very good luck with the V12 package. You are the first I've heard of running the V8 package. If that package uses the same clutch/pressure plate as the directfit product, you may want to research some posts here regarding that setup. There may have been an issue with the pressure plate for that setup which now seems to be resolved.

Reactions: m5 deamon

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
actually mines a v12 upgrade not the v8 sorry for the typo ouich

1 - 6 of 6 Posts