BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting info regarding SMGIII from Autobahnraser:

Some (new) info that I learnd from the manual:

- According to the manual each gear has a given speed range. If you fall short of the particular speed range SMG shifts down automatically (in all drive modes). Apparently you can't stay in 6th gear (for a long time) while driving 50 km/h, for example.

- After each use LC is deactivated for a defined distance (not time, as I thought) that must be covered before it is active again.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Gustav said:
- After each use LC is deactivated for a defined distance (not time, as I thought) that must be covered before it is active again.[/i]
That is very very interesting....

·
Registered
375 Posts
Saw on some review somewhere that you have to drive 4km before LC will activate again.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Driving impressions:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56891

"SMG3 exceeded my low expectations. On the first day I missed my manual tranny badly, but I am more and more growing on SMG3. Anyway, driving with stick and clutch gives you slightly better control if you want to feel your way to an obstacle while parking the car. I am also able to shift smoother with a manual tranny and faster than the drive mode S4 can do. Driving with a stick is more demanding but not necessarily more fun! However, SMG3 – in contrary to the unsavory SMG offered for the 645Ci - is a good transmission. If you choose automatic mode D with the lowest shift speed 1 the car starts in 2nd gear and won't shift down from 7th to 6th gear before you fall short of 60 km/h. Above ~50 km/h it works as smooth as an automatic transmission (if you don't floor the accelerator). Only at very low speeds it feels jerky to people that are not used to SMG3. I still have to experience S5 and S6!
"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts