BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from an amazing Spring Saturday near Birmingham, AL for a DE at the relatively new Barber Motorsports Park.
First and foremost, this is the Augusta of race tracks. From the museum to the artwork in and around the race track, this place is spectacular. In the infield, there is actually a giant bronze spider that must be at least 40' wide with different colored grass for the web. Really! No cost was spared for what was supposedly only to be a museum that quickly turned into a full fledged race track and museum.
Upon arriving Saturday am, my friend (96' M3 track car) and I began changing wheels/tires and preparing for a great day when to our amazement, several large rigs carrying various Ferraris arrived. By 9:00 am, there must have been over 35 Ferraris ranging from 308's to Testarossas to 360 Spiders, 8 or so race ready Corvettes, a few 911's, 2 Mustang GTs and only one other M5.
Being a very technical track, I was more thankful than ever that I had just last year finished the PDE Masters School here. It was like coming home again.
The layout is 16 turns, 45' wide with 80' of elevation changes and 2.4 miles of the most pristine pavement I have ever seen. Although the seams in the pavement are visible, you never feel a thing when transversing over the seams. In fact, a local mentioned Mr. Barber, having just finished his track, invited some of the worlds best motorcycle racers to come and preview the track. After reporting back to Mr. Barber that this track was better than 80% of all tracks, Mr. Barber tore up the asphalt not content until his was the best.
In addition, I was amazed to see the tire walls around the track were not old, used tires, but brand new shiny tires. How could this be? Turns out that these were the Firestone (Ford Explorer) tires and rumor has it that Firestone paid Mr. Barber $1 each to take them off their hands.
You can actually turn a lap here courtesy of PDE, http://www.porschedriving.com/the_track.asp

Unfortunately or maybe fortunately, all of the Ferraris ran in group 1, while everyone else ran in group 2. Although the M5 is a bit heavy for this type of track, it was a blast nonetheless! I ran seven 30 minute sessions and then noticed my left front track tire was corded. And this is after 2 days at Road Atlanta. By the way, I'm a big fan of Road Atlanta, but my heart belongs to Barber.

So, if you are so inclined and anywhere near Birmingham, AL, I highly suggest do whatever it takes to get into one of the DE's being held at Barber. You will not be dissappointed.

TripleD

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Wow that really is a nice track...From looking at it from the car it seems like the m5 would do pretty well on it in my mind.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts