BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not an elitist, but it is clear that most or many M5s are now in the hands of owners who bought them used. That is great! I do notice that the new generation of owners don't care as much about perfection and stretch the realm of modifications into new dimensions. There are a lot of "how to" questions appearing. The mods. I see them doing are things I would never consider, but everyone has his own taste. If I was so well-to-do financially I would have a new Ferrrari or something. I don't. Most of them don't seem so concerned about outright speed and certainly are budget conscious.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Interesting observations. The new members of used M5s do keep the board interesting. I believe us oldtimers can still be some good around here. :1:

·
Registered
58 Posts
i definitely agree that the more 'experienced' owners still have alot to offer the 'newbies' of the board. the diversity of this board is one of the more appealing features that keeps me coming back on a near daily basis.

bryon

:cheers:

·
Registered
837 Posts
I like you old timers, thats why I keep coming back, you know too much, us second hand owners cant get rid of you yet:hihi: , when we the time comes everyone will go to my new forum, 2ndhandm5board.com:typing: , just joking, this is a fun community to be involved with, Josh

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
You will have a hard time losing me. I kept my e36 M3 a good 7 years before selling it. Since I don't care for the styling of the e60 M5, I may keep my current e39 even longer! ouich

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
HBRAMSTEDT said:
I am not an elitist, but it is clear that most or many M5s are now in the hands of owners who bought them used. That is great! I do notice that the new generation of owners don't care as much about perfection and stretch the realm of modifications into new dimensions. There are a lot of "how to" questions appearing. The mods. I see them doing are things I would never consider, but everyone has his own taste. If I was so well-to-do financially I would have a new Ferrrari or something. I don't. Most of them don't seem so concerned about outright speed and certainly are budget conscious.
Are you referring to the guys who are supercharging or should I say trying to S/C their cars ???????????
flame suit is officially on ! LooK OuT! :cool2:

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I think it is really cool to watch the board progress. First the E39 forum dominated, and now with the delivery of the E60 that forum is picking up. Although I doubt this forum will ever get as slow as the E28 forum, it is fun to watch the E60 forum pick up. Watching the mods done to E39's has been a blast though, as warranty issues kept that from happening for a long time.
Dont worry HBRAMSTEDT, you're not an elitist. I've been around for some time and I dont even own a BMW....:haha:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
FAST 5 said:
Are you referring to the guys who are supercharging or should I say trying to S/C their cars ???????????
flame suit is officially on ! LooK OuT! :cool2:
:hihihi: hey man, its innovation and evolution.. in another 5yrs or so, the mild "hot hatches" (audi rs3/golf turbos/civic type-r/ford focus rs/renault clio's etc) will be coming out of the factory with 300bhp... and the next gen (post e60) M5 will most likely have 600-700bhp, whilst Merc will probably have 700bhp std across the range :D

The E90 M3 will most likely be a v8 with 400bhp... revised S62 motor?

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Lets see, I'm now an "old timer"? 1st generation but still learning of course.

Mark

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I think that new car warranty concerns kept some original owners from going wild with mods. Frankly, there are also many more choices than when I got my car 4.5 years ago. I love the new blood, and the board has remained fun and polite. Amazing amount of knowledge and experience on this board!

Bill

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
bmwusa said:
I like you old timers, thats why I keep coming back, you know too much, us second hand owners cant get rid of you yet:hihi: , when we the time comes everyone will go to my new forum, 2ndhandm5board.com:typing: , just joking, this is a fun community to be involved with, Josh
Man, never thought I'd be considered an old timer at 28...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Anzir said:
Man, never thought I'd be considered an old timer at 28...
Its not the age, I will be 28 in six months, its the aquiring of the car new vs second hand. Anyways just a joke, its the diversity on this board that occcupies a few hours of my life daily. But as far as someone calling you an old timer get used to it, most if the pilots I fly with are fresh out of college and are only 23 & 24 and they call me the DOM, dirty old man, I thought I had a few years left in me before people started calling me old, Josh

·
Registered
58 Posts
josh & anzir,

i just turned 30 earlier this week, and it is good to see that there are some other board members / m5 enthusists in our age range. the only other m5 owners that i have met in my area are over 2x my age. while i like the age diversity, i definitely think that the m5 does just appeal to those who have a reason for the back seat - as evidenced by the fact that my next door neighbor who is a 19 year old subaru sti owner, told me the other day that he is looking forward to the day that he can afford a 'real' car like mine :hihi: after running him around in it for the first time, he steps out of the car and announces that 'he has got to get himself one of these!' :M5thumbs:

bryon

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,318 Posts
I'm one of those "old-timers" too at 30. Life began for me with the ownership (I'm joking of course) of my 2001 when I was 27. I still remember that day I took delivery quite well. The days for me will only continue to improve from here on.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Wow, some of the old timers really came out of the woodwork. It is good to hear from them. What happened to the UCSDBoy? It is good to hear from the new owners too!

I wish I could claim exemption to the old timer category in some way like age, but I can't. I'm 42. I look a lot younger, but it doesn't matter, old is old.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The funny thing is that I've noticed a LOT of new faces around here for the past 3-4 months.. it's really weird! It was about 4 years of the same guys, and then a big influx of new members.. but you still see people like greg, atomic80, MAH, MEnthusiast, etc. etc. etc., and of course.. Gustav!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've been lurking on this board from before I received my car in February 2003. It was not a second hand, but I cant really say I am an old timer either. Only started to post for the first time because I saw an offer by CA Automotive I just could not pass up. I had already missed a wonderful group buy for the Tubi Exhuast that I regret to this day. The mod bug hit me hard after Bimmer Fest and I think its going to be a chronic condition.

I have been quietly reading and gathering as much knowledge as I can from all of you... especially the old timers :haha2: . Looking forward to many more posts here at the m5board.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.