BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use my M5 for my daily driver and have been considering another car for the weekend. The car that intrigues me the most is an older Ferarri ('87 -'91) with a 12 cylider engine. I think they look cool but don't know of any problems or issues with the car. I would like to keep the cost below $100m. Any recommendations or thoughts about this car or other vehicles I should consider?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by TC:
I use my M5 for my daily driver and have been considering another car for the weekend. The car that intrigues me the most is an older Ferarri ('87 -'91) with a 12 cylider engine. I think they look cool but don't know of any problems or issues with the car. I would like to keep the cost below $100m. Any recommendations or thoughts about this car or other vehicles I should consider?
The only 12 cylinder Ferrari made during that time frame was the Testarossa. I had a 1986 TR and it was a money pit ! The 15,000 mile service on the car cost around $4000.00 with the 30,000 mile service costing over $7500.00. That is if nothing is found wrong with the car. If somethings wrong, the price goes up from there. It was a blast to drive but not worth the expense in my opinion. For the price range you are willing to spend I would go back a little farther and get a late 60s 12 cylinder such as a 365GTB4,330GTC, 365GTC or 365GTC/4 . They all give you that great Ferrari 12 cylinder sound with out the highest maintenance cost. They will still cost more to maintain than a BMW though. For that price I would go with an 8 cylinder 355 instead. It is faster, handles better and cheaper to own. While it doesn't have that 12 cylinder sound, it still sounds sweet! I suggest you subscribe to the Ferrari Market Letter to see what the current market is like. You can contact them at 770.381.1993 or www.ferrarimarketletter.com. Good luck.

------------------

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by TC:
thanks!! I'm not interested in a car that I share with a mechanic!!
You could go with aViper then. I had a 1998 Viper GTS that I sold just prior to buying my M5. It was a blast to drive and cheap to own. Very reliable and no extra maintenace cost.

------------------

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree that a 330 GTC is a beautiful and affordable 12 cylinder Ferrari.

But if you are looking for reliability as well as performance, I'd recommend a late model 911. Fun, fast, strong.

Steve

------------------
'00 M5
'99 R1100S
'66 GT350H/Paxton
'85 911

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
How about a '71 Pontiac GTX 440?

·
Registered
255 Posts
You must mean a Plymouth GTX 440.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Righto...sorry. A buddy of mine just scooped one from an estate sale in Alberta. Brute force and ignorance...a beaut!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Parkerfe.....

Hopefully you re-follow this thread. HOw did you like the Viper? Why did you sell? I'm thinking of a Viper as well. I hear maintenance is low. And it's an extremely reliable sports car. The V10 is flawless. After all these years, it better be.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi,
I could get you a R34 SKYLINE GT-R Vspec if you want (around 80k)...street legal and all paper work done....My friend has a blue one and I swear that it gets more attention than a 360 modena....

just a thought...

2000 alpine white M5
1994 supra TT (400 rwhp)

·
Registered
765 Posts
I think M1 would be really original if you could find one and would have a great value as a collectors item.
have you considered any aston martin?

------------------
SL

·
Registered
216 Posts
Depends on where you live, the centre console of an M1 has known to be too small to accomodate both the heat and the air conditioning system.
I think from stock, the air conditioner is missing but there are after markets' you could add onto it. But the catch is that you have to take the heating system out.
Heard it from an M1 owner (he has 2 M1s').
But then again, you are really buying yourself a 3 -seires engine 2 generations ago. Why?
I guess it's the look. I once considered it too and the M1 owner I mentioned was willing to sell a very well kept one to me for $40K.
I ended up getting an M Roadster. Fun thingie to drive but knowing the new E46 M3 engine is coming, I quickly sold the M Roadster (for an Audi S4) and have my name lined up for the new M Roadster 2001.

Hey, the phrase :
"So, which M do you want me to beat you with?"
makes it all worthwhile!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Brian,
I don't quite understand what you mean by 3 series engine...M1 has 6 cylinder 3.5 l, with 277 bhp, and the car is able to do 0-60 in 5.5 secs, with top speed of an excess of 160 mph, not bad for early 80's - late 70's.
your friend has been very lucky to have two because i think only about 450 were produced.
and why? because its was an advanced car for its time and still is an excellent piece of machinery. it is a true supercar.
Sorry, I suppose that we are talking about different cars, you probably meant Z1.

------------------
SL

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by xlr8:
Parkerfe.....

Hopefully you re-follow this thread. HOw did you like the Viper? Why did you sell? I'm thinking of a Viper as well. I hear maintenance is low. And it's an extremely reliable sports car. The V10 is flawless. After all these years, it better be.
I only have so much garage space and with my new M5 taking up a slot, the Viper had to go. It was a wonderful car for what it was. It was unrefined, loud,amd a brute to drive....but...man could it move ! I miss the car and all the looks it got from everyone, young..old..male..female..it didn't matter. The only real expense to owning the car was having to replace the rear tires every ten thousand miles or so. The 490 lbft of torque would eat up the rears. i would own one again, but for now the M5 will have to do.

------------------

·
Registered
216 Posts
Oops!

You're right KnightRider.
My mistake.
I was thinking of the Z1 cause TC was talking about a second car. I wouldn't dream of having an M1 as a second car but something to be babied and collected.

Another friend of mine at one point of time did have an M1 (he's now also an E39 M5 owner who at one point of time was on this board) and as far as I know, every midnight when he woke up from a sweaty nigthmare, still cries for selling the M1 :p

·
Registered
765 Posts
i think its an amazing car for its time and now too
i just thought TC was looking for an unusual and rare car
i wish BMW would reconsider it and build a supercar to show others how to make it properly

------------------
SL

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the comments. I visited the Ferrari dealership this weekend and looked at a '91 Testarossa and a '95 512 M along with the rest of the toys. I talked with the owner and he presented me with a real dilemma. He noticed my M5 and said that I would be disappointed with the Testarossa given the power and handling characteristics of the M5(he races an M3). He said that I should look at an older Ferrari but that puts the price in the range of a new Porsche turbo (would be the hands down winner in that comparison).

The M5 has really spoiled me. I am not interested in a slow and nostalgic car - I would rather ride a horse. So unless I can find something that is close to the M5 in performance, I will be a two horse garage (my wife drives a '99 E55).

Sveilside - thank you for the info but I have never heard of a R34 Skyline GT-R, what is it?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Saw a supercharged 99 M Coupe in Roundel. Claims a 12.9 1/4 mile, full suspension, etc. Kind of weird looking but sounds like a great track car. He was asking $39k or something.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong (again), Sveilside, I think the Nissan R34 Skyline GT-R Vspec is a stock highly modified Skyline GT-R that packs some 500hp and importing that into North America would mean you need to take the engine apart into more than 3 pieces and import them as used parts and have them reassembled. Moreover, I think the whole Skyline line of cars were not imported into North America, so I guess more paperwork?

Although I don't live in the US, I am definitely interested in getting one of those across the sea.

Please email me at [email protected] and see if we could further discuss this?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts