BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the forum and cannot find anyone with this code thrown up.

I had the codes for throttle actuator thrown recently so I had them both uprated and renewed. After fitting the car is now throwing the 2b20 code for the throttle valve sensor. Has anyone experienced this and can offer any advice? I have read about the connectors on the loom to the actuators being a pain and wondered if this was the code thrown for that scenario?

Full list of codes:

2B20
2B2D
2B57
2B16
2B5C

Any help gratefully received.

thanks

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
The bank 2 throttle position sensor is on the front of the bank 2 head. It has to be disconnected in order to the lift the wire loom out of the valley to reach the actuators you had replaced.

Just curious, what was the temperature when you had them replaced? The plastic used on BMW's connectors is extremely brittle in very cold temperatures and if a car is let outside in winter, then brought inside for work, the connectors may not have warmed up enough to prevent cracking when disconnected. I would start there and give it a good push to make sure its connected completely.

The other part of the problem is that the position sensor actually contains two sensors. One feeds position back to the throttle actuator to provide the "closed loop" control of the throttle valves and the other feeds directly to the DME to allow "supervision" of the throttle actuator. It's hard to say which error is coming from that code, but it could also be the throttle actuator connector where that signal is fed back in.

Just curious, where did you get your replacement throttle actuators?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply JC, your other posts on the subject have been helpful.

I am in the UK so bank 2 is passenger side. I know the connector you mention. They are yellow internally iirc. There are two on the passenger side and one on the drivers side.

The temperature was high 20's as it was a hot day. Changed them where the car sat so no change of temperature to note really. Was careful with them and thought I had connected them back up again correctly until they clicked. I will have to have the inlets off again and check them. Same for the connectors on the throttle actuators themselves. They were quite tight but again pushing home fully. Nothing cracked that I am aware of, all clips still intact.

The internals were the ones from alpina527 of M3cutters forum. I believe you have been talking about the circuit board failures with him? I did wonder if the two connectors on the housing of the throttle body may not be seated correctly and that was the reason for the errors?

I may also swap the actuators over when I go in there this weekend to see if the error swaps sides. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know this is an old thread but hopefully my additional info might help someone.

I recently replaced my thermostat and ran into the exact same codes when I started up the car.

Turns out when I was prying up the wire loom to remove the thermostat housing, I yanked out the the connector for the throttle position sensor.

Lesson learned, always double check all connections before putting everything back together!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts