BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it's possible to fit 295's on the standard M5 rear wheel? I managed to get a set of 255's on my 97 M3 Evo and they looked great, just wondering if anyone has tried. Would like to have bigger meats than my friends S55 AMG!

Thanks,
Stu.:M5launch:

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Not on the stock wheel no, but you can upgrade the wheels and go larger even up into 315 range.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, looking at the wheel, I reckon a 285 will go on at a push.
Stu.

Jayson said:
Not on the stock wheel no, but you can upgrade the wheels and go larger even up into 315 range.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
You could do it but I woun't spec for a 285 is 10" wide wheel. Bmw did a good job maxing out the tire size for the wheels.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
i ran 285s in the rear with Dinan 9 1/2 wheels and the fender lip rolled -- if you hit the right kind of dip when loaded the tires would rub the inner fender liner -- don't think 295s will work

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Jayson said:
You could do it but I woun't spec for a 285 is 10" wide wheel. Bmw did a good job maxing out the tire size for the wheels.
Jason, you're quite the optomist! I always thought of it the opposite - BMW put the absolute cheapest (narrowest) wheel on the car that it could get away with :3:

But either way you look at it, the tires are maxed out for the rim size, at least according to Michelin specs.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
ELEVENS said:
Jason, you're quite the optomist! I always thought of it the opposite - BMW put the absolute cheapest (narrowest) wheel on the car that it could get away with :3:

But either way you look at it, the tires are maxed out for the rim size, at least according to Michelin specs.

Thats acually what I ment, for the wheel size choosen they maxed out the tire size. I would have prefered a 255 and 295 setup, but really the 245 and 275 is good enough. Think of ferrari, they ain't cheap, but they only run a 225 and 285 on the current 430 and 215 and 275 on the 360, the idea being that gives the better steering.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Jayson said:
Thats acually what I ment, for the wheel size choosen they maxed out the tire size. I would have prefered a 255 and 295 setup, but really the 245 and 275 is good enough. Think of ferrari, they ain't cheap, but they only run a 225 and 285 on the current 430 and 215 and 275 on the 360, the idea being that gives the better steering.
Correct.

Skinner tires = less tramlining = better steering feel.

Also, skinner wheels and tires = less unsprung weight = FASTER, LIGHTER CAR! :)

Just look at the Japanese cars. Look at the NSX... it ran 16" wheels and 17" in back for a while with a width of something in the low 200's. Proof that you don't need 345/25-19's to handle very, very well.

-Matthew

·
Registered
857 Posts
How do wider tires look on our rear wheels? Does the sidewall of the tire go out a lot? I hate that look.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,318 Posts
I have 285's on 10" wide wheels on mine and although my fenders were rolled, I did experience some rubbing especially when cornering hard. I had to get my fenders rolled again, so I strongly suggest that you don't go larger than 285 if you don't have to. 295 would REALLY be pushing it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
295 width you would run on 10.5-11, unnecessary on a 9.5 or 10 width. Even if you made them fit who will actually notice?

Unless you need some personal satisfaction to do this, waste of extra money and worry of rubbing issues IMO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts