BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems very coincidental, but the beast just rolled over to 29,000 miles and the yellow "Service Engine Soon" light came on. (almost like it was pre-set to do so)

Since its near 30,000 miles, it looks to be about that time for service. Will this one be the lower price oil change service, or does 30k mean the high dollar service?

·
Registered
837 Posts
billrM5 said:
Seems very coincidental, but the beast just rolled over to 29,000 miles and the yellow "Service Engine Soon" light came on. (almost like it was pre-set to do so)

Since its near 30,000 miles, it looks to be about that time for service. Will this one be the lower price oil change service, or does 30k mean the high dollar service?
I think its every other one for inspections, so if your last one was inspection one then this one should just be an oil change, I think this is how it works, but I could be wrong, Josh

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
As I understand it, the service engine soon light comes on as a function of how many times you start the engine, not the mileage. So, lots of short trips may result in the light coming at a lower mileage than fewer long trips.

Steve
00 M5
87 E30 race car

·
Registered
480 Posts
I think the manual says that the "Service Engine Soon" light means something about the emissions system (catalytic converter) is amiss-- the general service interval warnings are the green-yellow-red lights that show when you first start the car.

Coincidentally, my car's "Service Engine Soon" light also just came on, at 38,500 miles. It is now at the dealers to check it out.

Wilkie

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wilkie said:
I think the manual says that the "Service Engine Soon" light means something about the emissions system (catalytic converter) is amiss-- the general service interval warnings are the green-yellow-red lights that show when you first start the car.

I got the "service engine soon" message at 18,000 miles, and it turned out that it was caused by a build up of carbon in the air ports in the cylinder head. They had to remove the head to clean out the carbon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts