BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read in a Swedish newspaper today that BMW, Audi and Lexus has taken decision to sell their cars without the 250 km/h speed limiter!

Apparently there has been a meeting between the 3 manufacturers, where they agreed on this together.

327 km/h for the M5 then? Maybe not, but 300 km/h probably.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Hmm, that sux, for us :sad1:

Called dealer a few days ago, we asked about speed limiter, and few days later he called back saying BMW would not remove it for you and if you got it removed you will loose your warrenty. :sad1:

·
Registered
714 Posts
MortenDK said:
Hmm, that sux, for us :sad1:

Called dealer a few days ago, we asked about speed limiter, and few days later he called back saying BMW would not remove it for you and if you got it removed you will loose your warrenty. :sad1:
not really sure about this. many people have derestricted their bmw's (not E60 M5) and their warranty is still honoured.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
The Sunday Times ran a piece saying the same thing. I guess it's standard for '06 models and a retrofit for '05 cars.

·
Registered
123 Posts
From a legal point of view unless the conditions of the warranty stipulate that removal of the limiter invalidates it, I think BMW would be in a sticky position. Why when they advertise the cars capabilites upto 205 mph shouldn't it be warranted if he driver desires it's removal? Does BMW have a concern about the reliability of its components if >155mph is reached- if so we should all be a little concerned.

P
:rolleyes:

Ashok Arora said:
The Sunday Times ran a piece saying the same thing. I guess it's standard for '06 models and a retrofit for '05 cars.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Not sure it is all good news as I think it will just build up the pressure on governments to introduce more intrusive monitoring and clamp down even more on speeding. All you need is some big accidents were someone in a BMW or Merc was doing 180mph for the anti-spoeed lobby to get even more frenzied!!.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The German government has said they'd slap a limit on the autobahn without the 155mph limiters...hope that doesn't happen now...

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I dont think that will happen,

BMW, Audi and mercedes are only doing this to their top of the line models,

models such as the 545i will still have the limiter,

all the best
adam

p.s i hit 160mph in the m5 about 30times yesterday, and it is the most annoying thing ever, the sooner it goes, the better.

·
Registered
623 Posts
300 for new M5 is a joke! In existing E39 we reach 300 of course without limiter and some minor changes.

I’d love to see that 205 mph in E60 :haha:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Adam said:
I dont think that will happen,

BMW, Audi and mercedes are only doing this to their top of the line models,

models such as the 545i will still have the limiter
and obviously Porsches et al have been driven around at 170mph + for a long while

·
Registered
646 Posts
Read in UK's Autocar magazine last week (or was it The Sunday Times?) that UK M5s will from September 2005 come without the limiter! Yesss!! :hihi:

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
What do the write exactly? Thanks for your help!

M5saloon said:
Read in UK's Autocar magazine last week (or was it The Sunday Times?) that UK M5s will from September 2005 come without the limiter! Yesss!! :hihi:

·
Registered
646 Posts
From "The Sunday Times" 17th July 2005 -

Top marques scrap speed limiters

BMW, Audi and Mercedes are withdrawing from an agreement to limit the top speeds of their cars in a move that is likely to anger safety campaigners.

In recent years some manufacturers agreed to comply with a voluntary code to restrict the top speeds of high-performance cars to 155mph. Without electronic limiters, cars such as the BMW M5 and Audi RS4 are capable of speeds exceeding 186mph. Car makers such as Porsche refused to follow suit and with competition in the premium car sector tougher than ever, speed limiters are now regarded as a drag on sales.

By September, some models in BMW's sporty M range could offer top speeds of more than 199mph. Audi also plans to allow speeds above 155mph on the R9, which is due to arrive in showrooms in late 2006.

BMW initiated the informal agreement in 1987 in a move designed to fend off efforts by German politicians and safety campaigners to impose a top speed limit on the autobahn. German motorways are the only roads in the European Union that currently have no upper limit.

A spokesman for Lexus said it would follow the lead set by the German manufacturers and would remove speed limiters to protect sales. "If we want to attract the sort of people who buy Porsches and Ferraris, our high-performance cars need to have the same sort of capabilities," he said. "The market is changing and if other manufacturers are increasing speeds, we will have to follow."

Cheers,
David.

·
Registered
455 Posts
surely if the german government decided to impose new limits because of this, then the limit would logically be 250kph?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
As a practical point, the only way to enforce a 250km/h limit would be the use of fixed cameras - otherwise, if a traffic cop is cruising at 180km/h and someone passes at 300, how on earth will he be able to catch them up?

Wonder if they would allow the 10% threshold like they do in the UK, to allow for speedo inaccuracies!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts