BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

$24,000 for rod bearings and actuators, this is why no one trusts dealers

4K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  Alan Arnesen 
#1 · (Edited)
This is why no one trusts dealers!!!!!

Anyone thinking about going to BMW Scottsdale should have their head examined... just stumbled across this in my photos, was a couple years ago so I'm sure it would be closer to $75,000 by now (LOL).... I've since had it done but fun none the less to see what happens when a blond walks into a BMW shop asking for a quote....

Note: yea i bet you DON'T recommend doing them proactively eh, considering the option in charges when it grenades.

Font Screenshot Parallel Number Document

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Yea I love the "she's an idiot and will believe this" We don't recommend preventatives, wait till it blows then we can fix it for you.. part... and to follow his "don't do preventative cus something else can break" mindset, I guess there's no point doing oil changes either.

#6 ·
Holy mother of god. For that price, you could ship your car to Frankfurt, fly over there, chill out with Sreten (M539 Restorations) and have beers while he does your rod bearings, compensate him fantastically, ship the car back and then fly back yourself and still maybe be able to a new set of wheels for it. HA!

Too bad he only works on his own cars.

#11 · (Edited)
That's absolutely outrageous pricing. They clearly didn't want the work. So ridiculous. That's all they had to say. For the total price you were quoted, you could rebuild the entire engine.

--Peter
Pretty disgraceful... that's for sure.... BMW Corporate should know about that "let'er detonate, then come see us mindset"...

#12 · (Edited)
Yea I had BE's put in with new ARP bolts, an SMG Euro tune put in the trans, the front suspension replaced, motor mounts replaced and a bunch of other stuff for a lot less than even $7,500. The idle and throttle actuators I did myself.

What the heck, not my problem they're ridiculous, you don't want to be doxed, don't be dixs, in the event BMW says the quote was BS, here's the original... lol
Font Screenshot Number Parallel Document

#13 ·
I think that you are misinterpreting the quote. Sometimes dealers simply don't want to do a job for one reason or another. As such, they generally don't refuse to do it, they simply put up a very high quote and assume that the customer will turn them down and go somewhere else. My guess here is they don't have any techs that have done this, or possibly have any experience with this engine. They prefer to do jobs that they have done many times over, therefore they can assure high probability of success with low risk. For something like this, they are taking on a lot of risk that the tech will screw something up and grenade an expensive engine, and therefore they really don't want to do this. However, if the customer is crazy enough to pay them $20k for rod bearings, well then it may be worth it for them.

#14 · (Edited)
I'm not misinterpreting the quote as much as you're misinterpreting my reason for posting it... I'm fully aware of how the "quote them too much and they'll walk away" game works, I'm not stupid.. I just didn't expect BMW to pull it and I highly doubt BMW of Scottsdale has never worked on an S85 before....... it's not Ogallala, Nebraska for crying out loud.

#16 ·
It’s doesn’t matter at all if the dealer didn’t want to do the work or was only willing to do it if the customer was charged an exorbitant rate. What matters is they were not HONEST about it. The lack of candor and disingenuity makes them inherently untrustworthy. I wouldn’t give them any work at all after receiving such a bullshit quotation. The apologia for the dealer here is absurd.

—Peter

#17 ·
The apologia for the dealer here is absurd.
—Peter
Amen and for the person above to tell me that BMW won't perform mechanical work to prevent an engine grenading and instead wait and replace the entire thing is absolutely shocking to hear, but not surprising... something they never tell you when you're buying new or CPO.... they're disposable... complete disregard for the owners pocketbook, or common sense. I'm glad BMW doesn't make airplanes because that's the entire maintenance model, replace it BEFORE it breaks...

Disgraceful... I've actually over the last couple days decided to sell it, I've had a gut full of this type of business model....

Reactions: herrubermensch
#27 ·
Sorry, agree, don't shoot the messenger but sometimes it's better just to keep quiet than to make a post appearing to be DEFENDING their actions and JUSTIFYING them... We still luv ya @IM5ORRY

Reactions: IM5ORRY
#28 ·
"...without an issue present it is really not a job we would recommend doing preventatively."
If I took their advice and decided to not do my rod bearings preventatively, I'd be in trouble. I have zero issues with my car, everything feels great. There was zero indication that they were worn, and oil analysis looked good. However, I still did my bearings anyway, and here are some of the stock bearings:
Tire Automotive tire Wood Tread Synthetic rubber

Like you said, it's the dishonesty that's off putting. It's bad advice to give someone.

#29 ·
If I took their advice and decided to not do my rod bearings preventatively, I'd be in trouble. I have zero issues with my car, everything feels great. There was zero indication that they were worn, and oil analysis looked good. However, I still did my bearings anyway, and here are some of the stock bearings:
View attachment 964901

Like you said, it's the dishonesty that's off putting. It's bad advice to give someone.
Agree, when I went to the indy, they pulled them and it appeared that one had spun literally that morning on the way to drop it off to get them done..... so all you BMW stealership fan boys out there saying the quote they gave me was justified, take a good look at this first photo and tell me preventative shouldn't be done.

Light Wood Material property Household hardware Gas

Wood Circle Auto part Machine Symmetry

#30 ·
I find the dealers here in Southern Calif to be trustworthy but expensive. I asked exactly the same question as the OP regarding preventative rod bearings and was given the same answer and the same rough quote...and that was 5 years ago at 76k miles. Orig RBs are still in there. BMW labor prices are high as are their OEM parts costs and the costs of their overall investment is shockingly massive. But I knew that going in. Besides, for what other make of exotic car can you find bargain dealership service? Bashing the dealer is useful for creating lively conversations but I understand the dealer business and I find the technicians to be responsible, good and proficient people that are forbidden from doing what indies do.

#32 ·
I remember BMW of Sterling Virginia around my area was willing to match another indy's RB swap quote - I think it was because of my BMWCCA membership at the time. The only thing I didnt like about it was that they were going to use all oem parts. I was just too excited about installing these aftermarket parts I wanted to use instead. Regardless, it was a VERY competitive price. I will actually consider them on my RB next time around. And YES, this dealer is legit and one of the bigger ones in the area.

#37 ·
Another example of a dealer/stealer over quoting... what's next, we come in with a problem and they reply all we can do is jack the key up and put a new car under it'? Quoting a new SMG at $15,000 for a $950 (part price only) SMG pump replacement, what BS...

• Angry
Reactions: herrubermensch
#38 ·
I hate to be the spoiler? I am not a YT fan, 99% terrible content. A full SMG power block including the shift block was $10,000 the last time I checked. I have been through everything on my SMG as all of you know. This forum is legit if you want to own one of these cars and the SMG is the most mysterious due mostly to the software. True if the SMG pump times out you are on a trailer without INPA or ISTA. From a dealer point of view considering labor $15k is not that bad. That said I would never take this car to a dealer.

Many of us fight and fight to avoid this cost but to what end? After all of the time and heartache that I have put in I could have dropped $10k and been done. Never forget this is a $100k car 18 years ago. Most BMW guys drop that without a blink on lesser models. They are all lesser models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.