BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Right. The very notion that we should excuse the dealer's disingenuity here because none of its techs has done rod bearings and that's a "high risk" job is ludicrous. Just SAY that: "With apologies, that is not a current model, and none of our techs is skilled in that job on that model. We refer that kind of work to [____] who regularly does it. Here is his/her number. Please let us know how it goes if you do have the work done, as we like to be sure our referrals for this kind of work are solid." That kind of candid genuine response builds trust in the customer such that he or she is likely to come back for other kinds of work that DO fall within the dealer's expertise.

--Peter
Bravo!!!!!

Reactions: herrubermensch
Discussion starter · #24 ·
Me too. Or die in it during a race at VIR.

--Peter
When I die, I want to go out peacefully like my grampa did, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

• Haha
Reactions: EthanolTurbo
Oh, so I'm going to like the high $$$ rate better when it's no longer a $3,000.00 bearing job but now a short block? Are you in a legal weed state by chance?
i am in a legal cannabis state but that has nothing to do with this. Remember I am a technician and have absolutely nothing to do with the BMW business model you hate. We simply quote the repairs Parts list and amount of time BMW says it takes to do it. Then perform said repair. Moreover, the service advisor should have given you a itemized breakdown of the repair quote so you would know exactly what the money is being spent on.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
I agree with everything that has been said here. But don't shoot the messenger here. @IM5ORRY is simply stating the other side of the story, as much as we all hate it. No one here can do anything about it.
Sorry, agree, don't shoot the messenger but sometimes it's better just to keep quiet than to make a post appearing to be DEFENDING their actions and JUSTIFYING them... We still luv ya @IM5ORRY

Reactions: IM5ORRY
"...without an issue present it is really not a job we would recommend doing preventatively."
If I took their advice and decided to not do my rod bearings preventatively, I'd be in trouble. I have zero issues with my car, everything feels great. There was zero indication that they were worn, and oil analysis looked good. However, I still did my bearings anyway, and here are some of the stock bearings:
Tire Automotive tire Wood Tread Synthetic rubber

Like you said, it's the dishonesty that's off putting. It's bad advice to give someone.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
If I took their advice and decided to not do my rod bearings preventatively, I'd be in trouble. I have zero issues with my car, everything feels great. There was zero indication that they were worn, and oil analysis looked good. However, I still did my bearings anyway, and here are some of the stock bearings:
View attachment 964901

Like you said, it's the dishonesty that's off putting. It's bad advice to give someone.
Agree, when I went to the indy, they pulled them and it appeared that one had spun literally that morning on the way to drop it off to get them done..... so all you BMW stealership fan boys out there saying the quote they gave me was justified, take a good look at this first photo and tell me preventative shouldn't be done.

Light Wood Material property Household hardware Gas

Wood Circle Auto part Machine Symmetry

I find the dealers here in Southern Calif to be trustworthy but expensive. I asked exactly the same question as the OP regarding preventative rod bearings and was given the same answer and the same rough quote...and that was 5 years ago at 76k miles. Orig RBs are still in there. BMW labor prices are high as are their OEM parts costs and the costs of their overall investment is shockingly massive. But I knew that going in. Besides, for what other make of exotic car can you find bargain dealership service? Bashing the dealer is useful for creating lively conversations but I understand the dealer business and I find the technicians to be responsible, good and proficient people that are forbidden from doing what indies do.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
I find the dealers here in Southern Calif to be trustworthy but expensive. I asked exactly the same question as the OP regarding preventative rod bearings and was given the same answer and the same rough quote...and that was 5 years ago at 76k miles. Orig RBs are still in there. BMW labor prices are high as are their OEM parts costs and the costs of their overall investment is shockingly massive. But I knew that going in. Besides, for what other make of exotic car can you find bargain dealership service? Bashing the dealer is useful for creating lively conversations but I understand the dealer business and I find the technicians to be responsible, good and proficient people that are forbidden from doing what indies do.
So it appears then that this is a corporate policy/systemic issue, even more reason to be dissapointed.

I remember BMW of Sterling Virginia around my area was willing to match another indy's RB swap quote - I think it was because of my BMWCCA membership at the time. The only thing I didnt like about it was that they were going to use all oem parts. I was just too excited about installing these aftermarket parts I wanted to use instead. Regardless, it was a VERY competitive price. I will actually consider them on my RB next time around. And YES, this dealer is legit and one of the bigger ones in the area.

Discussion starter · #33 ·
I remember BMW of Sterling Virginia around my area was willing to match another indy's RB swap quote - I think it was because of my BMWCCA membership at the time. The only thing I didnt like about it was that they were going to use all oem parts. I was just too excited about installing these aftermarket parts I wanted to use instead. Regardless, it was a VERY competitive price. I will actually consider them on my RB next time around. And YES, this dealer is legit and one of the bigger ones in the area.
Unless it's BE and ARP it doesn't go in my block baby!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: specialized2010
Unless it's BE and ARP it doesn't to in my block baby!!!!!
Meh, Im done with that aftermarket bearing hype. From my experience with my original 90k old RB, I would say any new RB is better than old ones AND also the nut behind the wheel mod is very critical 🤣

Meh, Im done with that aftermarket bearing hype. From my experience with my original 90k old RB, I would say any new RB is better than old ones AND also the nut behind the wheel mod is very critical 🤣
I ran with OE rod bearings for 60,000 miles after my first replacement at 80,000 miles. I went with OE at 80,000 miles to 150,000 miles because that was the only choice at the time. They look pretty good for 60,000 miles.
Window Rectangle Font Urban design Wood

Currently, I'm on BE. Lets see how they look when I pull them at in 20,000 more miles after 50,000 miles of life on a 200,000 mile s85.

Recap of my bearing life:

1. OEM (leaded) 0 to 80,0000 miles.
2. OEM (leaded) 80,000 to 150,000 miles.
3. BE 150,000 to 180,000+ miles (present).

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Another example of a dealer/stealer over quoting... what's next, we come in with a problem and they reply all we can do is jack the key up and put a new car under it'? Quoting a new SMG at $15,000 for a $950 (part price only) SMG pump replacement, what BS...

• Angry
Reactions: herrubermensch
I hate to be the spoiler? I am not a YT fan, 99% terrible content. A full SMG power block including the shift block was $10,000 the last time I checked. I have been through everything on my SMG as all of you know. This forum is legit if you want to own one of these cars and the SMG is the most mysterious due mostly to the software. True if the SMG pump times out you are on a trailer without INPA or ISTA. From a dealer point of view considering labor $15k is not that bad. That said I would never take this car to a dealer.

Many of us fight and fight to avoid this cost but to what end? After all of the time and heartache that I have put in I could have dropped $10k and been done. Never forget this is a $100k car 18 years ago. Most BMW guys drop that without a blink on lesser models. They are all lesser models.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.