BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

$24,000 for rod bearings and actuators, this is why no one trusts dealers

4K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  Alan Arnesen 
I think that you are misinterpreting the quote. Sometimes dealers simply don't want to do a job for one reason or another. As such, they generally don't refuse to do it, they simply put up a very high quote and assume that the customer will turn them down and go somewhere else. My guess here is they don't have any techs that have done this, or possibly have any experience with this engine. They prefer to do jobs that they have done many times over, therefore they can assure high probability of success with low risk. For something like this, they are taking on a lot of risk that the tech will screw something up and grenade an expensive engine, and therefore they really don't want to do this. However, if the customer is crazy enough to pay them $20k for rod bearings, well then it may be worth it for them.
THIS.

I am a maintenance tech at a BMW dealership and rod bearings isn't a job any of our member/certified/master techs have done before. You have to understand that BMW dealerships main work is performed on vehicles under factory warranty and CPO warranty. Warranty work doesn't approve "preventative maintenance" so components have to fail in part or as a whole for repair approvals. If a engine fails, we don't rebuild it, we just install a crate engine. When it comes to customer pay, most customers are disgusted at our price quotes for 3 reasons, 1-our labor rates are pretty high-BMW dealers average $190 a hour. 2-our FRU (flat rate unit)how many hours of labor we quote for the repair is too high. 3-we only use OEM BMW parts which can be very expensive on late model cars due to lack of production and stock. For these reasons, MOST customers take their out of warranty vehicles to independent shops who aren't governed by BMW rules like dealerships are, and can do repairs for much cheaper than we can. That's my TED talk for the evening.

Oh, so I'm going to like the high $$$ rate better when it's no longer a $3,000.00 bearing job but now a short block? Are you in a legal weed state by chance?
i am in a legal cannabis state but that has nothing to do with this. Remember I am a technician and have absolutely nothing to do with the BMW business model you hate. We simply quote the repairs Parts list and amount of time BMW says it takes to do it. Then perform said repair. Moreover, the service advisor should have given you a itemized breakdown of the repair quote so you would know exactly what the money is being spent on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.