BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 3rd owner of an awesome 2003 LMB that I bought in Oct 2012 with ~69K miles, and I've since put 22K on it. I searched for an example that had been well maintained, up to date, and with all records. I am not sorry I did. I just finished an inspection I, and here is a summary of the maintenance that I've done since I took ownership:

• Repaired inside rear view mirror (had glass replaced)
  • Replaced front passenger door lock actuator
  • Replaced thermostat
  • Replaced radiator fluid
  • Two oil changes (M1 0W40 #notanotheroilthread)
Inspection I:
  • Oil change (M1 0W40)
  • 2x Engine air filters
  • 2x Cabin air filters
  • Flush brake/clutch fluid
  • New rear tires
  • Replaced Upper PCV hoses

I've done most of the maintenance myself, except the thermostat. I had the local dealer inspect the car and they recommended replacing the PCV hoses. Most of the miles are highway. I plan to replace the transmission and differential oil soon, as that has never been done.

All in all, am extremely happy with this car and I have no doubt it will last a long, long time with reasonable maintenance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I see a lot of tstat replacements on this forum. I just got mine and noticed it has trouble keeping normal operating temperature when driving on freeway speeds at below 65 degrees ambient temperature.
I am not sure if coolant temp reading too low or tstat struggling to close.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed mine was running cool right away. I was planning to replace the thermostat before it got too cold outside, but it threw a code so I had my Indy do it. Started running in the middle of the range after that, so I concluded it was a bad thermostat.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ya I dont see any coolant temp sensor reading concerns on this forum so I think I have a tstat problem. Its now too hot out to test the tstat.
It opens just fine but it has a difficult time to close back up when it needs to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts