BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I derestrict the car without voiding the BMW warranty?

I presume that it's a straightforward ECU remap (once available).

How can they limit us to 155mph?! It's a sin :crying:

·
Registered
383 Posts
I think the limiter will be a little higher, as in the test cars. My E39 was indicating well over 160 before the limiter came in, might be because of spedo accuracy tho so not sure?

I dont think there will be the option like the CSL had offered, but we can keep our fingers crossed.

So it will be down to chipping technologies to remove this limiter. I think some of the newer chips can be used and the BMW testing kit wont pick it up as an aftermarket chip.

I'm thinking about going another way this time, keep the car stock for 3 years, then place a deposit on the next gen M5 and speak to BestPower about mods for the E60. I'd hate to have to replace something and find the warranty void:(

Sacha...

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...which brings me back to the original question - I want 205mph and I want my warranty intact - is it at all possible?! ??????

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
...which brings me back to the original question - I want 205mph and I want my warranty intact - is it at all possible?! ??????
If it is, I am betting SMW is working hard to find how that is possible. They know that removing the limiter might not be a reason for problems but if you did it they will want to know and void your warranty because there is a bigger profit for them in that and also it transmits the message that you shouldn't change what they tried so hard to achieve.

I hear some changes to ECU are not detected and this has been wildly used for chipping especially turbodiesels in europe.

·
Registered
289 Posts
António Duarte said:
I hear some changes to ECU are not detected and this has been wildly used for chipping especially turbodiesels in europe.
OBD-tuning is the name, they don't change your ECU but they reprogram it :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Some of the chips on the ECU can be modified but most things are hard coded to improve responce times. This is why these steath chips were invented, they replace the normal chips but allow elements of the hard code to be modified.

The Stealth chips are an option and would not be identified during normal servicing, but if the motor went bang they would find the modification and void the warranty.

So the only way to keep the warranty is if they offer the same kind of deal as the CSL and I don't think they will.

It's a decision for you to make Ashok but do you think that if there is a mojor warranty claim, say to rebuild the engine, that BMW wouldn't want to understand what went wrong. They would check and probe every element of the car including checking the ECU against the expected default settings. And remember these new cars have black box type recording devices now. There have been a few big stories about what the cars are keeping track of now days.

·
Registered
424 Posts
is 170mph not enough??? :15:
the fastest i went was 120mph an that was on a track-type road....
but i would still like to derestric my car! its more about the feeling what your car can do, isnt it?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Ashok Arora said:

Gonna need 650+HP to hit that mark bud..

V

·
Registered
336 Posts
It is possible that the re-programming of the ECU can be brought back to stock. I know with my Renntech upgrade if anything went wrong I could get it back to stock. As someone else said though, these black boxes are becoming very prevalent. They may be able to record speeds, if so they might wonder how you were doing 185

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Ill bet its possible to do something so it doesnt look like it was modded, but if the dealer or the ever present "they" started talking with your computer they would find out when and where you were and how many g's you pulled, etc. My dealer told me a story of a guy who wrecked a car on an extended test drive in the rain. He said he did not drive aggressively, they downloaded the telemetrics and it showed all the pertinent data: he was driving like a maniac.

Aside from rev and engine issues, also consider that BMW (at least in the US) says the speedo spec is something like +/-3% + 5mph. So at 200mph that could be +11mph- indicating 205, when you are "only" going 194. I imagine that 194 would not be sufficient because of the fixation on 205 (the max speed reported if delimited).

I would also point out the inherent danger in going this fast that the brakes are probably not up to the task and potentially worse, the tires. I think SL65 is limited to 186 or something like that because no one makes tires for the car that are rated any faster. Im no expert, but I would think tire wear, brake effectiveness, etc are exponential, especially at those hyper speeds.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes, BMW claims 205mph unrestricted and there is no reason for us not to believe that. As for knowing what the car can do vs actually doing it i think that if you're not really going to use the speed above 155 then removing the limiter might become a too high price just for "being able to" go being 155.
It depends the kind of roads/highways you drive and trafic.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ashok Arora said:

Wouldn't the answer be Dinan? I was under the impression that he so meticuously engineers his mods that he is confident enough to match the factory warranty. It may take even longer than it did for the E39 for him to unlock the secrets of that 32 bit 200 million calculations per second mega processor, but my money is on Steve!

:3: simmikie

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I don't think Dinan is available outside the US. Also, while Dinan does offer some level of comfort, they are not the only game out there.

·
Registered
246 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
I don't think Dinan is available outside the US. Also, while Dinan does offer some level of comfort, they are not the only game out there.
Agreed, there are many teams on the field of play! There is, however, only one champion!

M' I am sold on this guys approach to rengineering, purposeful and meticulous. I read where it took almost or over 2 yrs to develop the software to reprogram the ECU in the E39 M5. I am sure he could have produced a half assed solution just to get something to market and start making money, but he didn't. He stayed the course until he believed it was the best it could be, and that's all I need to know.

I've read some references on this board to Dinan challenging warranty claims, and at the risk of stepping on some toes, you know the saying, there are two sides to a story and then there is the truth. Perfect?? What made by man is? I think though Dinan could be the answer to Ashoks question: Is 205 mph and a warranty posible?

What a great world we live, where this debate is even feasible!

:viking: simmikie

·
Registered
369 Posts
mumbasic said:
205 mph - no way, BMW says that this stands on the tacho, nothing more
the M5 e39 went 185mph delimited. the new one has 107hpo more, much better aerodynamics and the sevenspeed gearbox, which gives you better gear ratios at all speeds. and 205mph is about 10% (exactly 10,81%) more than the old car was able to reach. for me it sounds possible. but if it is "only" 200mph... who cares? i am sure top speed starts with a 2.

also it was confirmed from bmw.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Ashok Arora said:

I bought a Vmax-Module for my E39 M5 five years ago by www.fn-automobil.de.

A Vmax-Modul is not performance-enhancing like chiptuning (www.hs-elektronik.com); it just bypasses the speed-limiter. I had to pay 1.392,-- DM (712,-- €) for it. My E39 M5 now reaches an effective speed of 296 km/h and a tacho-speed of 300+ km/h.

Before signing the E39 M5 contract I informed my dealer about my intention and he assured me that I would not lose any warranty. He kept word!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Ashok, The bottom line is if you mess with the ECU and the engine blows up then if BMW consider this to be a contributing factor then the warranty is out of the window. IMHO not worth the risk even if the tuner says they will warranty it as I bet they respond differently when they are faced with the costs of replacing a V10 engine.

If you are really committed to doing it then am sure there will be a number of tuners willing to take your money.

By the way wondering why you havent done it to your E39 M5 or have you?

·
Registered
304 Posts
9852147 said:
the M5 e39 went 185mph delimited. the new one has 107hpo more, much better aerodynamics and the sevenspeed gearbox, which gives you better gear ratios at all speeds. and 205mph is about 10% (exactly 10,81%) more than the old car was able to reach. for me it sounds possible. but if it is "only" 200mph... who cares? i am sure top speed starts with a 2.

also it was confirmed from bmw.
That´s sounds interesiting. Why other cars like 996 tt reach only 305 km/h (190 mph) or the Lamborghini Gallrado also don´t reach 205 mph. Both cars are much more lighter and have a better weight/power ration?

A M5 with more then 180 mph is too dangerous. This car even don´t have any down pressure.

I think a lot of person have never driven more then 180 mph. They don´t know what it does mean to have a car in this area with up pressure, like the M5 will have.

Is it so important to have a car which can run 200 mph, but you can´t do it because it is too risky?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts