BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying either a 2014 m5 with a competition package (fully loaded) vs. 2014 e63s equally fully loaded with a tune and exhaust ($$). Both cars IMHO are almost identical in real world street performance, but I would give the win to the e63s. Both cars are luxurious, but I would give the win to the m5. My question to all of you is more around reliability / cost of ownership? My mechanic appears to be very biased against the f10 m5 and I wanted to get some more feedback. (FWIW, the m5 I am looking at had the engine replace ~27K miles ago. So this would align to the mechanic's concern.)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am looking at buying either a 2014 m5 with a competition package (fully loaded) vs. 2014 e63s equally fully loaded with a tune and exhaust ($$). Both cars IMHO are almost identical in real world street performance, but I would give the win to the e63s. Both cars are luxurious, but I would give the win to the m5. My question to all of you is more around reliability / cost of ownership? My mechanic appears to be very biased against the f10 m5 and I wanted to get some more feedback. (FWIW, the m5 I am looking at had the engine replace ~27K miles ago. So this would align to the mechanic's concern.)

Thoughts?
General rule of thumb for me, as tempting as it may be to buy a car w/ a "new" engine, I would stay away. I prefer a car that has been properly maintained and hasn't had major issues.

Re: the two cars, the E63s w/ a tune and exhaust is a monster and will beat a stock CP F10 M5. It's more of a brute though, even when compared to the already brutish F10 M5. I think it comes down to personal taste. I love AMG Merc's but M cars have my heart. I was recently shopping these two cars as well and for me, the decision was simple - F10 M5...w/ a Stg 1 Tune. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts