BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have agreed to be the caravan leader from the great state of Texas to the 2014 Drive4Corners meet in Colorado.

Below is the route and info for when and what route I will be taking.

I went last year and had alot of fun on the Colorado highways.

Drive 4 Corners BMW Meet

This is the route I have taken many times.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=7806+Roundrock+Rd,+Dallas,+TX+75248&daddr=33.0252996,-97.2608225+to:33.5896015,-97.9166+to:Vega,+TX+to:Capulin+Volcano+National+Monument,+Capulin,+NM+to:Walsenburg,+CO+to:Pagosa+Springs,+CO&hl=en&ll=35.469618,-102.019043&spn=6.127272,11.008301&sll=33.367237,-97.500916&sspn=1.571233,2.752075&geocode=Fefc9gEd7Fk7-imnXGIeuSFMhjHKfCMkU8vLEA;FRPt9wEd6uoz-iklqw-rdNBNhjF_wTGVcrgOMw;FWGJAAIdSOkp-ilbE9fUAYdShjFDUgjY-kMpBg;FVDDGQIdmxHl-SmvxW_TMPUDhzE388SghKwM2A;FRI8MQIdF43N-SHIQn643r7HWymhUla7W2oQhzHIQn643r7HWw;FXMZPgIdGC7B-SktQ6i30VsRhzHdlz1aZxv7YQ;FcqvOAIdHimf-SlJtAebbts9hzF_FfhBzBaGew&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=9&via=1,2&t=m&z=7

Depart My home in North Dallas between 530am and 630am on Thursday July 31.

First stop is on the West side of Amarillo Texas near Vega Texas(just over 300 miles). I always stop at a Dairy Queen on hwy 385.

From there thru Dalhart,Clayton and a few other towns to Capulin Volcano Monument in New Mexico. This is a nice stop at the top of a extinct volcano. There is nice easy hike on a paved path that is a little over a mile up and around the rim of the volcano(20 minutes).
Capulin Volcano National Monument - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the Volcano on up to Raton New Mexico on hwy 25 where we go up and over Raton Pass on the eastern side of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains.
Raton Pass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From Raton Pass on highway 25 thru Trinidad Colorado to Walsenburg where we catch highway 160 west Thru Fort Garland where another Interesting stop can be done at the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Reserve. After the dunes onto Alamosa where we stop at a Chilis Restaurant and have a parking lot dinner weather permitting.
Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From Alamosa onto South Fork where I will be breaking off of the caravan at Hwy 149 and head over to Creede Colorado where my sister has a home.

The caravan will continue on hwy 160 thru South Fork up and over Wolf Creek Pass to Pagosa Springs to meet up with the Drive4Corners group.
Wolf Creek Pass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Drive times can vary depending on weather and stops.

Plan on 12 1/2-13 1/2 hours of being on the road.

We always bring food and drink along so we aren't stuck trying to find decent grub but we can always make stops if needed.

My cars.
2002 BMW e39 M5 in Sterling Grey and 2001 BMW e39 M5 in Lemans Blue or a 2001 BMW e39 540i Sport in Electric Red.

Any questions you can email me at:

[email protected]

·
Registered
797 Posts
Very cool.

I really wanted to go this year but I had to choose between this and RTT after Labor Day. RTT caused less conflict with my work schedule this year plus had most of the Lone Star Burgers and Fives crew.

Be safe and take lots of pics.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for posting Aubrey.

I'll also distribute via facebook group and the website as we approach.

Right now it looks like we will have 5 caravans heading to one singular destination for the meet! Over 45 cars registered now too, from 10 states :cool2:
No prob Tom.

I have been busy with and have ridden in a few vintage motocross races in the last few weeks and forgot to post this up.

My project car is coming along nicely but I'm not sure I'll have it finished in time for the trip.

If thats the case my wife will drive the Electric Red e39 540 in its place.

Bump for a cool trip and fun time behind the wheel of my pride and joy.

:checkeredflag:

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TTT

:cool2:

·
Registered
165 Posts
The 2014 tshirt design has been coming along nicely and our designer has been willing to share a bit of a teaser for you all.

Can you guess what the final BMW design will be?

The most recent event update is available here, and the list of updates for the 2014 event is available here and will continuously update as news is posted.

52 registered cars, and E30's are still leading the way!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
TTT

This was one of many different drives I did by myself in the summer of 2013 at the Drive4Corners meet.

Fun stuff for an e39 M5.

At 9-10k feet the car still makes great power.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLkA7eJtgP4

:M5launch:

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
TTT.

Full prep mode on both my e39 m5 and the wifes e39 540i sport.

Hers has received everything listed below in this last week:

New rotors and Pagid pads.

New cabin filters

New air filter

Trans filter and fluid(auto with sport mode)

Oil and filter change

Complete e39 m5 Alcantara Headliner,a,b,c pillars,sunroof shade(Shout out to the one and only Clemster-Thank You!)

E39 M5 steering wheel/airbag

Rebalance of a square style 65's with Michelin Pilot Sport a/s and repolish of the chrome-yes chrome

New M-Tech front bumper with Slimmbones lip

Meguires 205 the whole car and waxed

Rain-x windows

and I only have one more part coming in Monday for the sunroof overhaul.

My car only needs a few things like a polish and oil change.

It's going to be an awesome trip,

Hope to see some of you along the way!

:cool:

Edit:

I bled the brakes as well.

The fluid that came out was really nasy and looked original(2001).

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TTT.

Full prep mode on both my e39 m5 and the wifes e39 540i sport.

Hers has received everything listed below in this last week:

New rotors and Pagid pads.

New cabin filters

New air filter

Trans filter and fluid(auto with sport mode)

Oil and filter change

Complete e39 m5 Alcantara Headliner,a,b,c pillars,sunroof shade(Shout out to the one and only Clemster-Thank You!)

E39 M5 steering wheel/airbag

Rebalance of a square style 65's with Michelin Pilot Sport a/s and repolish of the chrome-yes chrome

New M-Tech front bumper with Slimmbones lip

Meguires 205 the whole car and waxed

Rain-x windows

and I only have one more part coming in Monday for the sunroof overhaul.

My car only needs a few things like a polish and oil change.

It's going to be an awesome trip,

Hope to see some of you along the way!

Edit:

I bled the brakes as well.

The fluid that came out was really nasy and looked original(2001).

Forgot to add new pork chops and Ultimate cup holder to the list.

Long days in the garage,a big thanks to my wife for letting me knock out a few bricks in the side of our garage to install a window a/c unit(it was

106 degrees today).

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Forgot to add new pork chops and Ultimate cup holder to the list.

Long days in the garage,a big thanks to my wife for letting me knock out a few bricks in the side of our garage to install a window a/c unit(it was

106 degrees today).

:cheers:
You must be on the west side of DFW. I bought 2 of those Delonghi portable A/C units and cut 2 drier vent holes in the garage ceiling. They vent in to attic and then out the soffit & roof vents. I started out with 1 A/C unit but wasn't enough on 100°F plus days.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
My bad.

It was only 103.

East.....north of 636/75.

I have an 8000btu unit that struggles when it's that hot.

When you get the latent heat sucked out of the car,tools etc its not too bad.

One of the main reasons for the a/c is mosquitos...they love me and it also wrung all of the moisture out of the air in the garage.

I am considering a drop ceiling with better lighting too.

My attic above my garage isn't insulated but will be in the near future.

Last year we put up a Clopay insulated garage door....r18.... That helps a lot with southern exposure on it.

:)

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The Lone Star Caravan.

Since there weren't any others going to the meet at the time of our departure my wife said she would be my caravan.

A big thanks to Sweet Beth for making it a great vacation.

She has a great looking Japan Red e39 540i Sport that ran flawlessly as usual thanks to her wrench(me).

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Neat Amarillo there are about 150 windmills.

This pik put things in perspective.

I think I have heard that these are 119' long.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Monsoon rains coming out of Walsenburg on hwy 160.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts