BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all.

A couple of weeks ago I purchased my second M5. A 2013 with the Bang & Olufsen sound system. I was very excited for this sound system, but so far, I seem to be having an issue. At least I think I am, but I feel like most people will not agree with me that there is even an issue. In any case, I figured I'd reach out here on the boards and see if anyone else has experienced what's happening with my sound system.

I've noticed that every minute or so, the sound quality (or to be more specific, probably the fidelity), diminishes for just a few seconds, then goes back to normal. It sounds as if out of nowhere, the clarity and treble of the sound is lowered, causing a VERY slightly muffled sound, it lasts a few seconds (maybe 5 to 10 seconds each time), then goes back to normal, which sounds just fine. Again, this seems to happen in every song, about every minute or so. It's extremely annoying and I have no idea what is going on. It's probably subtle enough, also, that 90% of people would never even notice an issue. Also, it's difficult to tell if this is happening on Radio or Satellite Radio, due to the low quality of those sounds. But it is definitely happening with MP3's or CD's.

Has anyone else experienced this? It's the weirdest thing! It really takes the fun out of listening to this sound system. Is there a bulletin out in the BMW service departments about this? Is something in the car damaged? Is this normal and has something to do with the DSP that is built into the B&O that is non-adjustable by the user? I plan on taking the car to the dealer soon, and I'm going to bring this to their attention. However, I doubt they'll have any idea what I'm talking about.

Please help!:eek

Thanks!

Patrick

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Wow...! How bizarre. Thank you for this information! I'm going to check this out tonight. I was going to mention in my original post that I also felt like the engine note was super quiet... I wonder if these two issues are related. I sure hope so, and I sure hope I'm able to fix this. How annoying! A $3,700 option possibly diminished simply because a previous owner didn't like the ASD.

Just to be safe, I also purchased an OBD plug-in and downloaded Bimmercode so I can check to see if this car was coded to remove the ASD as well.

In the meantime, while this lead seems promising, does anyone else have any other theories or experience with this problem?

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Wow...! How bizarre. Thank you for this information! I'm going to check this out tonight. I was going to mention in my original post that I also felt like the engine note was super quiet... I wonder if these two issues are related. I sure hope so, and I sure hope I'm able to fix this. How annoying! A $3,700 option possibly diminished simply because a previous owner didn't like the ASD.

Just to be safe, I also purchased an OBD plug-in and downloaded Bimmercode so I can check to see if this car was coded to remove the ASD as well.

In the meantime, while this lead seems promising, does anyone else have any other theories or experience with this problem?
That was me and my problem does not sound like your problem. When I first started reading your description of the problem I thought you might be hearing a quality difference when the car picks up or drops an HD signal. I've noticed what seemed to be the same issue you described but it was only when tuned to HD radio stations. I never messed around to confirm any further as the stations I usually listen to are fine. I rarely use the aux input so I can't confirm anything else, but my problem just seemed to be a reception issue.

Your problem does still sound like the amp. Unfortunately these amps seem to be crap and used ones are still expensive!

Good luck and report back

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was me and my problem does not sound like your problem. When I first started reading your description of the problem I thought you might be hearing a quality difference when the car picks up or drops an HD signal. I've noticed what seemed to be the same issue you described but it was only when tuned to HD radio stations. I never messed around to confirm any further as the stations I usually listen to are fine. I rarely use the aux input so I can't confirm anything else, but my problem just seemed to be a reception issue.

Your problem does still sound like the amp. Unfortunately these amps seem to be crap and used ones are still expensive!

Good luck and report back

Thanks for checking in, Tim. I never use my aux input either. When I say MP3, I'm referring to Bluetooth streaming. I only use that, CD, and satellite radio. Occasionally I'll use FM radio, but very rarely. I noticed our problems were described differently, but figured maybe we had some similarities. Did you end up replacing your amp? Is there any definitive way to tell if the amp itself is indeed bad? I'd hate to purchase a used one at almost $1k and come to find I still have the problem. Also, when installing a new amp, is it simply plug and play? Or is their soldering involved?

I pulled back the trunk liner just now and the ASD was plugged in. However, I'm certain that this car has ASD turned off. It's SUPER quiet in the cabin. My OBD plug-in comes in tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to giving that a shot in terms of the ASD. I do have a question regarding the coding though. I was looking through Bimmercode and noticed you can turn the ASD off from there, but to turn it back on it says "Use a backup". What if my ASD was coded off by the previous owner and I want to turn it back on? I don't have a backup, as this will be my first time connecting to this vehicle. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Patrick, I have two vehicles with B&O system. An M5 that does not exhibit the symptom that you describe. However, my X5 had similar loss of highs, and muffled sound as you describe, but only it was without the highs all the time. BMW diagnosed a faulty amplifier and replaced it under warranty. Check if any sound comes from the small speakers in the door(s). If no sound, then perhaps it is the amp. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Patrick, I have two vehicles with B&O system. An M5 that does not exhibit the symptom that you describe. However, my X5 had similar loss of highs, and muffled sound as you describe, but only it was without the highs all the time. BMW diagnosed a faulty amplifier and replaced it under warranty. Check if any sound comes from the small speakers in the door(s). If no sound, then perhaps it is the amp. Good luck.

Hi, rkvadla.

Thanks for that input! So, yesterday, I pulled the trunk liner out to access the ASD thingy and the amp to see if an unplegged ASD was the culprit. Well, my ASD was plugged in, but I figured I'd unplug it and plug it back in to see if it made any difference. Oddly enough, knock on wood, the problem with the fidelity fading in and out seems to have gone away... *shrugs*. I don't know... I'm continuing to keep my ears peeled, but so far I have not had the issue again.

I will say, though, that I'm sadly disappointed in the Bang & Olufsen sound system in the M5. I traded in my 2011 528i for this car, and I'll tell you, the sound system in my 528i was considerably better. And the sound system in my previous 2008 M5 was absolutely incredible. The B&O in my 2013... Eh.... Bummer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts