BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I need help in deciding. I'm thinking about trading in my car for the new GTR, but I know I'm gonna miss my cherry alot lol. Some of my friends tell me to get the gtr and let the beast go and some say the opposite.
If I do trade in my beast I want the black edition GTR.
What would you guys choose if you were in my place?
I need some of your thoughts. Thanks in advance. :1:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Tough one. Personally I'll never own a Japanese car again. Had a G35x which was a perfect car but oh so boring. The GTR is obviously in a totally different category on every level, but I'd feel like the ultimate boy racer driving one. I'd have to say the M6.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tough one. Personally I'll never own a Japanese car again. Had a G35x which was a perfect car but oh so boring. The GTR is obviously in a totally different category on every level, but I'd feel like the ultimate boy racer driving one. I'd have to say the M6.
thats 1 point for the beast.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I must admit that I thought about the GTR before I purchased the beast; not even if it had 1000hp at that price or even cheaper would I drive around in that interior.
lol thats one of the reasons why i dont like the gtr. that and the fact that its a V6. im used to the loud and deep sound of the V10, specially now that i have the AA exhaust it sounds so much better.
yea the gtr's interior looks so cheap and simple.
but have you seen the black edition interior? its just a bit better than the regular gtr one.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I faced a similar situation. I thought about it and searched for a brand new '10 M6. Found one and they were begging people to take it off the lot with the deals they were throwing around. I got the M6 for such a great deal, and no cost maintenance for 6 years. I heard thats where Nissan gets you, the service costs! Good luck with the decision. I couldnt be happier.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I know the new GT-R is supposed to have a 50hp bump than the older ones, but I am in the market for an older GT-R, I have seen many around 70k$ and I think they are going to come down a little bit more as the market starts to give way due to expiring warranties

FWIW M6 is my daily driver, GT-R IMO is a better DD due to AWD.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I recently changed my 2007 M5 for the new GTR (2012 MY in the US, termed 2011 here in the UK). I had the same concerns / questions about the boy-racer image, exhaust note, but also the practicality coming from a 4-door. However, having had chance to put a few miles on the GTR, I must say that the performance more than makes up for any downside. The GTR would anihilate BMW's V10 beasts (I accept that the M5/M6 may pull harder at very high speeds, but I only get to indulge on rare trips to Germany).

I find the interior of the GTR with the new recaro seats to be very good, the quality and look and feel are improved over prior MYs; clearly it wil be a little less space than your M6 but it works comfortably for my wife, 4-year old daughter and I.

I think your decision may be most easily considered as what do you want from a car? The GTR offers unrivalled performance and can scare the hell out of you, but is badged a Nissan and does give a bit of a boy-racer image. The M6 offers slightly less in terms of performance but is more comfortable and is visually much more subtle.

Whichever choice you make, I'm certain you'll be happy - they are both great cars.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I say you go for it. You are young and have plenty of time to realize that the M6 is really what you want! Seriously though, if you get it and after a while decide you want to go back to the M6 there will always be a market for the GTR.

And for Mr. Dumbo, let me know the next time you are coming to Germany so we can have some fun on the Bahn. Love to run with you.

·
Registered
300 Posts
You should drive a GTR and then decide. In terms of performance it will rip your M6 apart but the tradeoff is it's a stiffer car, not as much a GT. So if you don't mind sacrificing comfort then it's a great car.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I have not driven one, but there are many reports that the GT-R is a much noisy and harsher car to ride in. So if your eardrums and kidneys have a vote, make sure you get some seat time in a GT-R before committing to one.

I think they are ugly, but they sure seem to be quick.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I was thinking about the GTR too when my lease is over. After driving my buddy GTR I had second thought. Don't get me wrong I had fun and it amazingly fast, but everything just seem so simple. GTR is pretty easy to drive, I guess that's why I didn't get that rush I'm looking for. If i was going to switch to a Japanese car I will definitely go with the 2005 Acura NSX. Can you believe Honda actually made something that incredible 15 years ago, and 15 years later it still hold its ground against all these new sport/race car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Having just bought the M6, but owned the GT-R for 1 year exactly (1 year anniversary today:tonquesmilie:), I'd have a hard time telling you what to do. It depends on who you are and what you need out of your car.

I love the GT-R for what it is, but I'm the first to put it down for it's shortcomings...interior is a full step backward from the BMW. It's raw, but I'm Ok with that because that's what I like. My Ducati 1098s has to be one of the worst streetbikes there is, but I love it for what I want out of a sportbike, trackdays -- If I did 300 mile daily trips like some of my friends, I'd hate it.

I drove the M6 home from the dealership (4.5hrs) and thought that it was/is the nicest car I've ever driven. But I get back in the GT-R and know that it's still my #1 baby...:dunno:

BTW, the M6 is the wife's car! Yeah, I know, I'm gonna hear it but let me just say this, she wanted a 328 vert, and I talked her up to this :cheers:

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Having just bought the M6, but owned the GT-R for 1 year exactly (1 year anniversary today:tonquesmilie:), I'd have a hard time telling you what to do. It depends on who you are and what you need out of your car.

I love the GT-R for what it is, but I'm the first to put it down for it's shortcomings...interior is a full step backward from the BMW. It's raw, but I'm Ok with that because that's what I like. My Ducati 1098s has to be one of the worst streetbikes there is, but I love it for what I want out of a sportbike, trackdays -- If I did 300 mile daily trips like some of my friends, I'd hate it.

I drove the M6 home from the dealership (4.5hrs) and thought that it was/is the nicest car I've ever driven. But I get back in the GT-R and know that it's still my #1 baby...:dunno:

BTW, the M6 is the wife's car! Yeah, I know, I'm gonna hear it but let me just say this, she wanted a 328 vert, and I talked her up to this :cheers:
The thing you will hear from me is, "great up-sell"! It's quite a step up from the 328!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for all your advice and thoughts. I went to go see the gtr yesterday and asked to test drive it but they said I couldn't cause of the nasty weather. It rained all day yesterday so I guess they want me to dirty the car. I think im going to stay with my beast for another year or so. I really wanted to see the gtr black edition but they said that they didn't know until when they'll be getting them. So MAYBE until then ill switch. But for now ima stay with the beautiful beast. :)
Thanks again for the help guys.

Reactions: MKSixer

·
Registered
579 Posts
Personally, I would NEVER buy a Japanese car no matter what level of quality or performance they produced. If I needed that level of Performance I would much rather go with a 911. Good luck with what car you eventually choose!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts