BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just felt I should post some infomation about the F10 M5 that all owners should know about!! I have a 2012 M5 with 45000 miles on the clock, one day it started making a horrible turbo whine/squeel noise under hard accelleration so the car was booked into maindealers for investigation. 1st visit to BMW 2days couldnt find the cause but contacted BMW for advise. 2nd visit 3days still found no cause for problem. 3rd visit to BMW they requested the car for 10 days to make sure they had time find and sort the problem? its now been there 37days and counting!!!!!! failed turbo was found to be the problem so BMW agreed to fit two new turbo's under warantee, Great I thought brand new turbo's and should have car back in around 14days. this is where it all begins, turbos on back order sir will be next week before we can get them here. three times I was fobbed off with they will be here next week sir before they finally admitted they cannot get me the turbo's and they have no date for when they will be able to get them!!! they no longer fit this type of turbo sir, were sorry etc etc. I have so far been loaned an X1 18d a 320d X drive tourer and at min only due to constant complaining about when will I get my £80K M5 back they have lent me a 530d tourer and have generously told me theres no rush to get it back and I can use it for as long as necissary as its been loaned from BMW UK not the repairing dealership! All owners of the mighty M5 need to be very aware and concerned that despite the huge price tag of buying and running the M5 BMW are not bothering to carry the spares to honour the waranty they sell you with the car!!!!!! My car went into Stratstone BMW derby on 5th Nov 2014 and its now looking like being sometime in 2015 before I get my car back and theres no date as yet for them getting the parts. BMW and M cars are clearly not the great brand they once were! bring back the e30 days:crying:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just received an email from BMW Uk Customer services, still no date for the replacement turbo's but she has informed me that BMW germany should take delivery of them "late december or early january" and BMW Stratstone Derby that have my car in bits should be in touch with me when they receive them in!!! thats good of them! wish I had brought an AMG merc or Rs6 now!!!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Just received an email from BMW Uk Customer services, still no date for the replacement turbo's but she has informed me that BMW germany should take delivery of them "late december or early january" and BMW Stratstone Derby that have my car in bits should be in touch with me when they receive them in!!! thats good of them! wish I had brought an AMG merc or Rs6 now!!!
They fail too:)

TBH, i've not heard of any other F10 M5 with Turbo failure & it's hardly surprising that your local dealer doesn't stock such parts & not even that surprising that BMW UK have none, saying that i would have thought BMW in Germany could get them quicker than 4 weeks but perhaps their's a supply issue from the mfctr. Not good it took the dealer so long to diagnose, but that's what Forums are for as i'd have been posting here or on PH to see if anyone could shed any light on the issue.

When i rejected my initial F10 M5, BMW UK put me in an X5 M50D until my new M5 arrived so i'd consider pushing for something better, but i guess yours is an older car so maybe BMW have a policy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BMW Uk clearly have a policy and it's F*** em weve had our £80K for the car who cares if he has to wait 60+days to have his car back on the road and he should be greatful were lending you a car at all. it makes no difference if there is any known history of the problem BMW in the Uk are signed upto the motor codes scheme which states "they will have spares readily available for any model from launch throughout its production and for a reasonable time there after" sadly for me this is not the case and no doubt when many M5 owners cars get up to and around the mileage of mine they will be out of warranty and on there own to foot a massive bill and enjoy a rediculous 2 month wait for parts! suprise suprise BMW no longer fit the same turbo's to the M5.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I expect lots of turbo failures in the future. Turbos spinning around then the engine decides to switch off at a junction with the stupid start/stop function and no oil being pumped around. Long service intervals too. Remember the days of changing the oil every 3000 miles on the turbo cars and letting them spin down after a good thrashing?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
BMW Uk clearly have a policy and it's F*** em weve had our £80K for the car who cares if he has to wait 60+days to have his car back on the road and he should be greatful were lending you a car at all. it makes no difference if there is any known history of the problem BMW in the Uk are signed upto the motor codes scheme which states "they will have spares readily available for any model from launch throughout its production and for a reasonable time there after" sadly for me this is not the case and no doubt when many M5 owners cars get up to and around the mileage of mine they will be out of warranty and on there own to foot a massive bill and enjoy a rediculous 2 month wait for parts! suprise suprise BMW no longer fit the same turbo's to the M5.
My experience with BMW UK was very different to yours.

Didn't you say the wait was to the end of Dec/beginning of Jan? I read your post as saying the diagnosis took from sometime in Nov to now & now you were awaiting parts. That's not 2 months waiting for parts but perhaps i misread.

Either way it's a long time to be without your car & that's not good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car went in on the 5th november they got the go ahead from BMW warranty to fit 2 new turbos around the 14th november and we have been waiting for the parts ever since and all BMW Uk can say at min is end of december or earily jan and as they have so far moved the delivery date everytime ive had one I have no faith what so ever in them delivering on either estimate given! Out of interest what grounds did you reject your 1st M5 on?? A company like BMW should never be sending out a flagship model that is not 100% in my opinion and any problem happening in the warranty period should be delt with quickly especially as they sell themselves as a premium brand!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Lemon the car...
Here's a lesson I learned the hard way with my 335i twin turbo:
Started with fuel pump going out after 10k miles and parts took 5 days from germany to get to the US and installed (should've lemoned here).
25k miles later same pump went out and they fitted the same pump again in a week. No issues till about 60k (out of warranty and the car had multiple misfires and turbo and DME issues. It came to a point where diagnostics revealed so many problems it was nearly impossible to pin point. The dealer threw in parts left and right and still couldn't get all the issues resolved. In the end I took a major loss and sold it to a third party dealer...

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yeah, that sucks. My e60 M5 was in the shop for issues that should have only taken a couple weeks. This was last summer from mid June through mid August - the driving season! Naturally you want the car you picked and paid for...

How about a re-frame? They know they have an issue, enough that BMW stepped up to give you a 550d. Not an M5, but not a bad ride. You get to put all the hard winter miles on their car, saving yours. When you get yours back it will be all shinny, new and exciting again!

Hope it all works out quickly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Beefs I'd just chill mate, weathers awful in this country just now so your doing it a favour by running something else plus you don't have to worry bout parking it anywhere etc just hope you get it back soon but if not then hey ho you have a replacement to thrash till your hearts content.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I feel for you, Sir. My car was in a small rear-ender this summer. I dropped the car off August 16th and got it back October 20th. 5 week wait for parts. living in northern Canada our driving seasons is similar to yours, short! The winter is so hard it stays in the garage. This year due to a freak heat wave I was able to drive the car for 1 week in October before putting the car away for the winter! It was great to get the car back even for that 1 week.

In Canada we have plenty of BMW's but it seems every part from rear mufflers, trunk trim piece (shared with normal 5 series) took 5 weeks, 5 friggen weeks!

Absolutely no local stock of complex/low volume parts and lets not even talk about tires/tyres. BMW could and should do a better job of this. Things break people understand this but to wait for parts... Unacceptable.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello my friend,

Could you comment on some of the earlier symptoms (prior to the squeal of the turbos under hard acceleration). The reason I ask if there were any early symptoms is because when my car is cold (ie I start it, let it run for 1 min and then start to drive it), the turbos make a whine until it warms up.

To describe the sound, it is as if you get feedback noise from the alternator through the speakers (as the revs start to increase so does the pitch of the sound and as they decrease the pitch changes...). Once the car warms up it is fine.

Did you hear any of this? Should I be worried?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Why do we as owners put up with horrendous reliability like this? Freaking BMW. 40k miles and turbos are out? I can't even Imagine the bill on that had it not been under warranty.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
1. Is there a lemon law in the UK?

2. Stop with the "80k car". A car with 45k miles is worth 50% of that. IMO

3. In some markets (ie California cars and in states that follow the CA emissions) turbos are covered by the CA warranty.

4. Agree that long LCIs and lack of turbo cool down may take a toll, long term.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A question for the OP, Did you use the auto start/stop system in the car? In Canada we can turn this feature off and it will stay off until turned back on but I understand in the UK this is not the case.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
1. Is there a lemon law in the UK?

2. Stop with the "80k car". A car with 45k miles is worth 50% of that. IMO

3. In some markets (ie California cars and in states that follow the CA emissions) turbos are covered by the CA warranty.

4. Agree that long LCIs and lack of turbo cool down may take a toll, long term.
Yes, i rejected my 6mth old F10 M5 last year, however such a scenario would never exist for a car that's 3yrs old so no way he'll be able to reject his car at that age/mileage.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
A question for the OP, Did you use the auto start/stop system in the car? In Canada we can turn this feature off and it will stay off until turned back on but I understand in the UK this is not the case.
In the UK we can switch it off during a journey but it comes back after the next car restart. This is one of the reasons why the car has a fairly low (for it's power) emissions output. You could probably code a change though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In the UK we can switch it off during a journey but it comes back after the next car restart. This is one of the reasons why the car has a fairly low (for it's power) emissions output. You could probably code a change though.
I think we will come to find it is worth the $25 dollar cable and a little bit of know how to code it to the "default off" position. I have coded several features and it isn't that hard at all. My question was however directed at the OP as turbo cars that turn off and on have interrupted oil flow. I know the turbos are water cooled but I can't think hot turbo, stop and go traffic and turning on and off are good for bearing life.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts