BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would have never thought the US of all places would be the only market that requested and get this option for both the E60 and F10:

"Contradictory to earlier rumblings, the upcoming F10 BMW M5 will reportedly be available with the option of a traditional manual transmission here in the United States. As with the E60 M5, we'd expect the stick-shift-equipped F10 to be slower than its automated sister, but we doubt it will amount to anything noticeable. Buyers will still be able to opt for the seven-speed dual-clutch transmission here in the States, if they so desire.

There's one option, however, that BMW won't be offering in our market. In Germany, buyers can opt to have the car's top speed raised to 189 miles per hour, provided they agree to enter an M5-specific driver training program. This will likely be a costly option – in addition to the price of the training program, buyers will have to shell out for upgraded engine management software, as well as a set of ZR-rated tires."

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/25/rumormill-2012-bmw-m5-to-get-manual-tranny-in-u-s/

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Awesome, simply awesome!!!

Reactions: Atsuhiko

·
Registered
539 Posts
This should make sense. We are the largest market for M5s. They should listen to us give buyers what they want. I wouldn't have mine any other way. I respect the SMG and DCT options, but there is something to be said for a perfectly executed heel-toe downshift.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would rather be slower, and have more fun with three pedals than be stuck with two. At the end of the day, there is not going to be any real perceived difference in a few 1/10's of a second, but the grin on my face after rowing through a set a gears is invaluable.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
This should make sense. We are the largest market for M5s. They should listen to us give buyers what they want. I wouldn't have mine any other way. I respect the SMG and DCT options, but there is something to be said for a perfectly executed heel-toe downshift.

The size of the US market (even in tough times) is quite unbelievable considering that you/we can mandate a tranny... wow!

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
WOW, Good job BMW! :thumbsup: This deserves two thumbs up! Wonder if it's possible to order the delimited version through Euro delivery :3:

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
As an owner of a E39 M5 I would get the new M5 with the dct transmission.

If I want to row my own gears I will stick to the E39 and when I want the F1 sensation I will get in my F10.

Yes, I will be owning both M5's.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I would have never thought the US of all places would be the only market that requested and get this option for both the E60 and F10http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/25/rumormill-2012-bmw-m5-to-get-manual-tranny-in-u-s/
European customers tend not to be so stubborn in relating ONLY a true clutch manual with a sports car in the same way I have observed many Americans do. For some reason lots of Americans think if it doesn't have a clutch, it's not a sports car :dunno: I remember hearing the M engineers scoffed at the E60 M5 with the manual for not driving properly...

·
Registered
476 Posts
I will believe it when I see it

Seems like an odd move given that it will only be offered in the US. I am pretty sure the 6MT in the E60 was less than a success. Maybe we have Cadillac to thank... we shall see.

Having been very suspect of SMG in the E60 I grew to love it. Will be a tough choice.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The MT will fail miserably in this car like it did in the E60.

The DKG in the E9x M3 is lightning fast and will definitely be the right choice for the F10.
Simple difference in cultures. A manual transmission M5 is the only choice for me. If the rumor turns out to be true, I'll be one of the first to buy. Without a manual, I'll be looking for another car and/or another brand.

·
Registered
103 Posts
One of the reasons I chose the E60 M5 over the C63 AMG was the manual transmission option. I know it is slower (MT vs SMG), but I love having a clutch and rowing the gears through their gates. I see it this way, if it is all about speed, hire a professional race car driver to drive you around with an SMG/DCT equipped vehicle, you'll be the fastest around, however, you will loose driver/vehicle interaction. A manual provides that to me.

·
Registered
283 Posts
wait...am I the only one to notice that the top-speed on this thing...even with the limiter "removed" at great cost & requiring special drivers training....is only 189 MPH!?!?!?!? Say what? How can zees bee?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
wait...am I the only one to notice that the top-speed on this thing...even with the limiter "removed" at great cost & requiring special drivers training....is only 189 MPH!?!?!?!? Say what? How can zees bee?

189MPH i think is unlocked with M drivers package in German market and rest market gets ridiculous 155..:grinyes: E60 did more than that.. no

Relax.. Speedo has at least 330kph or around 205mph.. i believe aftermarket tune should unlock true top speed..

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
too bad they are not planning to bring the upgraded top speed 189 mph option to the states...

then again, at least where i live, there is no way i can drive at high speeds in the city and suburbia. lol

however, doesn't the e60 M5 do a 202 mph top speed w/o the limiter? and so the F10 will only be 189?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts