BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about organizing a rolling road day in the spring/summer in the uk. I have no details, only thoughts at the moment. I have approached a venue but thats about it. I would like some feedback from the masses before I go any further. What i was thinking was to make it primaraly an E39 event but if we can't get enough numbers to fill all the slots then open it to the rest of the board. I am trying to sort a venue which is as central as possible to make it as fair as possible for everyone. Depending on the feedback I get i will contact the bmw magazines and see if anyone is interested in covering it.

Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? If not but your interested just put your name down so I can get an idea of numbers.

Cheers

Iain

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I would be interested, especially as my car should be Alpha N by then!

1.Leezamonkey

·
1,937 Posts
Yes, I think I might be up for that, depending on exactly were and when, of course.

1.Leezamonkey<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
2.Yellowgixxer

YG

·
Registered
36 Posts
depending where and when i could be interested, would be a great opportunity to incorporate a track day if you could find a circuit with a rolling road? either way a good excuse for a get together!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would be interested, again depending where and when.

Powerstation in Tewkesbury Worcestershire seems to have a good reputation and it is pretty central in England. Long jaunt for the Scots though.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I would relish the chance to put my beast on the rollers to see what's what. Absolutely count me in if it's drivable. I suggest maybe Evolve as its well placed from Most areas of the uk.

·
Registered
489 Posts
This seems to be picking up pace, hopefully OP you can find somewhere central for this to happen.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sent out a few emails lastnight so hopefully get some feedback I can pass on over the next few days. The dayes I have been looking at are the last 2 weekends in may and the first 2 in june. Do any of those not suit anyone? Would you prefer a saturday or sunday?

I have thought about mabey doing the rolling road on a saturday and trying to get a trackday in on the sunday but that takes a fair bit of sorting out and need to see how many people are up for it first so for now I'm just trying to get a decent central location and a date that suits the majority. I do have a bit of a plan in the back of my head but I dont want to say to much untill I get a response from my emails.

Hopefully I'll have some info for you soon. Meanwhile keep the names and suggestions coming.

Iain

·
Company Representative for Evolve Automotive
3,068 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'd consider this, not had it on the RR before, maybe worth posting this on PH and 5 series forums too?

·
Company Representative for Evolve Automotive
3,068 Posts
I'd consider this, not had it on the RR before, maybe worth posting this on PH and 5 series forums too?
This would be a good idea but we cannot do too many cars in one day. We need atleast 20-25 mins per car as we need to control temperatures (coolant, oil and air). Some cars will come in very much heatsoaked and they take a long time to cool down so we can test all cars with very similar temperatures.

This would ensure ECU compensation factors are the same for all tests and this is the only way to ensure tests that a comparible.

We will be monitoring everything through OBDII.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
maybe worth posting this on PH and 5 series forums too?
As Salman said, we will be limited for numbers so for now its probably best just to keep it on here untill we get some details finalised. then if we are short on numbers we can branch out a bit. However If we tie this in with a trackday then we will need around 60 cars for that to keep costs down but I want to get the rolling road sesion sorted first. Although I have been in touch with croft just for some information.

I asked evolve because they have probably the best reputation for tuning the e39 in the uk so any advice for building power or regaining factory power will be excellent, Sal seems to have dyno OCD so everyone will be tested on as level a playing field as possible, it is probably the most uk central location that there is, unless you come from north of inverness but I don't think there is anyone on here that far north??

I've had a couple of PM's about dates but I cant reply due to being only a baby member (not a big poster!) so if you have any questions email me [email protected] or post on the thread.

I've had 3 requests for second weekend in June now so looks like it will either be Saturday 11th or Sunday the 12th of June

I've emailed 3 magazines enquiring about coverage and as I said before, Croft race circuit (minutes from evolve) to ask about what we would need to set up a track day and what available dates they have. Trackday would be a lot of work to set up and it would make this a weekend event rather than just a day at evolve which may put some people off but you could pick and choose which day to come. Got to admit 60 M5's of all agaes in 1 place at 1 time would be a fair spectacle!

Anyway back to reality, we are looking at evolve on the 11th or 12th of June (will have to double check with Salman that theses dates are ok) at
a bargain price of £35 a head!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Are you talking about going to Evolve HQ (Luton)? Or at Darlington?

cheers

Lee

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, cocked that up a bit. I knew evolve was at Luton but somehow got Darlington stuck in my head. Thats what happens when you try and sort things out after nightshift I guess!

Sorry folks I am a [email protected]! Evolve doesnt really meat the original plan of central UK but I do still think this is the very best venue for us. It is quite a big ask of the guys from up north but on the plus side should be abble to get a convoy going on the way down and it gives us more options for track days on the same weekend which would probably make the trip more worthwhile. It also makes it more accesable if any of the european guys are dedicated enough to come over!

However if this is a problem for anyone then feel free to chip in.

Apologees for the cock up.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts