BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here you go.

I did a search and didnt come up with anything. If this is a duplicate - moderators please feel free to delete.

In case you are not aware - 2011 Navigation DVD map of US is now out.

I found this online seller and have ordered mine.

Buy it Now - 2011 BMW Navigation DVD Maps

It arrived last week and everything works great.

Due to huge database info, 2011 DVD map is now split into two DVD's.
DVD 1 is East region, DVD 2 is West Region.

The 2011 version now also includes red light cameras and speed traps.

For our E63 M6, you will need to order the "Professional" version.

Note: I have no affiliation whatsoever to the seller, just sharing info.

See below for 2011 DVD map photos and loading instructions.

1) Get inside your car and press engine start button once without stepping on the brakes.
This is like accessory mode. (Stepping on the brakes will start the car.)

2) Wait about 1 minute for Nav system to boot up.
Once you see maps on your navigation - press eject button to remove your current DVD map.

3) First time you insert the new 2011 DVD, the system will recognize a new version of map.
It will ask you to shutdown your system, wait 5 minutes, then re-start navigation again.
This is because the DVD downloads a new firmware version to the nav drive to support the new DVD map version.

To shut system down, (do not step on the brakes) press engine start button (this is position II on normal engine
switch), then press and hold the engine start button again for about 5 seconds. This shuts the system completely
down similar to removing the ignition key.

4) Wait 5 minutes, then press engine start button again without stepping on the brakes (accessory mode)
Wait for Navigation to boot up completely. Enjoy!

Explore the DVD. If you go to Info mode - you will see red light cameras and speed traps similar to photos below.

Enjoy!

Dan

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
WTH,

How do the '10 MY owners upgrade (new iDrive) ?

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Sorry I am not familiar with 2010 MY : (

Moderator Mark Carson has a 2010 M6. He should be chiming in here soon.
What? I was sleeping over here.

I have no idea Avlnch, but I assume you can pay BMW for a download of the 2011 official map software. Hey Dan, is your disk really from BMW or is the label on it not quite legit? I only ask because I did not know BMW would list red light cameras, etc.

On my isolated little island there are no red light cameras and the roads don't change that often, so being a cheapskate, I probably would not pay for an upgrade even if one is available for my (and Avlnch's) 2010 car hard disk based system.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts

I have no idea Avlnch, but I assume you can pay BMW for a download of the 2011 official map software. Hey Dan, is your disk really from BMW or is the label on it not quite legit? I only ask because I did not know BMW would list red light cameras, etc.

On my isolated little island there are no red light cameras and the roads don't change that often, so being a cheapskate, I probably would not pay for an upgrade even if one is available for my (and Avlnch's) 2010 car hard disk based system.
I don't think BMW would add speed traps/red light cams either.. the maps are fine, and work great. Only reason I asked is: have you seen the additions to the maps (location images from google usr's)?

Makes sense, but is an inconvenient downgrade having to bring the car in for something like this. I would think it should be the same as previous MY's. Would be nice if our cars iDrive could update OTA like phones (bb, android).. if that will ever happen.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
A DVD load into the hard disk (somewhat like the upgrade Dan outlined) would be OK. But I think BMW would rather do the download from NJ while you car is plug in at the dealership if iDrive software updates are any indication. That way it takes longer...

Seriously, I think they would do that so they don't have to burn DVDs and ship them to dealerships.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
For our 2010's I do think you can load a DVD to upload the new maps. I checked and I have 2011 maps but maybe that is because it was a late model? However, I am not sure if you can "buy" the disk and install it yourself. Seems like they might make you take it to the dealer. They probably did this to prevent pirating.

·
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry to wake you up Mark : )

The 2011 DVD map disk that I purchased was from an online reseller.
The way the DVD was produced doesnt appear to be legit.

I thought the price was really cheap and they guarantee it will work so I thought I'd try it.
Works perfect for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bit and ordered one.

Just in case, since it's doing a FM update, anyone know if there's a way to revert back to the old FM in case there's an issue?

·
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, if you want to revert back to the old version - just reinsert your old 2010 DVD map, the system will recognize a different version and will ask you to shut system down and reboot and upon reboot you should be back to the old version of software.

I bit and ordered one.

Just in case, since it's doing a FM update, anyone know if there's a way to revert back to the old FM in case there's an issue?

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
since its not a legit disk . would i be wrong in downloading this disk and hosting it up for members to download?
im sure it's not worth the risk to do that considering it's illegal. I am sure the guy selling the disks is at even a greater risk selling them for profit. The 2011 disk is readily out there in many torrent sites for download though. I know if I was going to do it illegally I wouldn't host anything like that lol. However since I have a 2010 I don't have to worry about that :) I will just get raped when it comes to buying the download from BMW lol

·
Registered
90 Posts
im sure it's not worth the risk to do that considering it's illegal. I am sure the guy selling the disks is at even a greater risk selling them for profit. The 2011 disk is readily out there in many torrent sites for download though. I know if I was going to do it illegally I wouldn't host anything like that lol. However since I have a 2010 I don't have to worry about that :) I will just get raped when it comes to buying the download from BMW lol

I looked for a torrent off the normal sites and just found the euro 2011 disk .. If i happen to run across it i can leave it on my server for a month ( its about how log it stays before it auto deletes torrents off my server ) was never quite sure about legality i've always just likened it to copying music tapes back in the day if i got caught i just had it coming ... there are much more bigger fish to fry then lil ole me downloading a map disk for my car

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Do not host or link to illegal/pirated software on this Board.

I think Gustav is pretty clear about that. Don't steal and don't facilitate stealing by others.

If you want to PM Dan and ask him where he got his software that's between you and him. Better if that information flows via email vice Private Message on the Board. You are all adults and can make your own decisions. But by posting or linking to illegal content you expose the Board, so please don't do it (otherwise your post will be deleted and you risk being banned as a Member).

Just some friendly advice my friends.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just received the new disc. Did the firmware update as described in the OP. As near as I can tell, works as advertised. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts