BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In December, I made the move and purchased a 2010 carbon black E60 with 6,000 miles. So far, the car has been a blast to drive and I'm absolutely sold on the SMG, despite some conflicting reviews. I burn more oil and gas than I ever thought possible; however that does not take away from the thrill of driving this race car. I had a 06' E60 and I have noticed several refinements in the 2010 model. The smoothness of the 2010 SMG clearly surpasses the earlier model. I am not sure what specific changes were made, but overall the SMG in S-mode is a different animal.

I was curious to get some expert opinion on the right way to drive this car to preserve the longevity of the clutch and drivetrain?

1. Assuming the engine has been properly warmed up, I am typically shifting at 5,000-6,000 rpms. Is this too high for casual driving?

2. For city driving where I'm rarely getting above 50mph at most, is it best for the car to remain in lower gears (2-3) at higher rpm's? Or is it best to keep reduce the rpm's and drive in higher gears and be shifting more frequently?

3. Is it recommended to drive this car while holding 5,000-6,000 rpms for an extended amount of time?

I want to drive the car as I feel it was designed to be driven, so any insight into the shifting mechanics of the smg would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a 6-spd manual, and I don't know about most people but when I drive normally I typically rev the engine up to between 2500 and 3000RPM before I change to the next gear, and then keep the revs around 2000RPM when cruising around.

I am getting around 14.0-14.5MPG. I drive it similarly to my 5.7L Camaro

When I am accelerating hard or maintaining speed around a corner in racing posture, expecting to accelerate out of it, I keep the car between 6000 and 8000RPM, upshifting of course at ~8000.

I'm sure others have different views. I don't think constant 5000RPMs will hurt the engine, but probably just burn more fuel than you need to for cruising.

I would suspect that with the SMG, whatever the car decides to do in normal "Drive" mode in S3 or something would probably be how I would drive it typically.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Drive it like you stole it! I run mine around 5000 rpms down the highway, just love the growl of the V10. It is a drivers car.

·
Registered
195 Posts
OP if you purchased the car with 6000 miles on it, then you may wanna make sure if it was a demo at the bmw performance center in SC. I am sorry to worry you about it but most of the car around that many miles are from the performance center and boy do they get a beating. I had bought one and God knows how got rid of it.
As far as driving is concerned, you'll burn way more fuel and oil in 5000 rpms range than at lower Rpms. Call me a sissy but i usually change my gears around 2500 to 3000 rpms in everyday driving. Unless i wanna unleash the demon i do not daily shift like you do. Its totally up to you though, but i like to take it eazy on the car most of the time. GL

·
Registered
286 Posts
Stop bumping 5 year old threads, you've done like 20 in the past half hour. Just use the Like feature if you want to compliment someone

Reactions: bweiner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts