BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In December, I made the move and purchased a 2010 carbon black E60 with 6,000 miles. So far, the car has been a blast to drive and I'm absolutely sold on the SMG, despite some conflicting reviews. I burn more oil and gas than I ever thought possible; however that does not take away from the thrill of driving this race car. I had a 06' E60 and I have noticed several refinements in the 2010 model. The smoothness of the 2010 SMG clearly surpasses the earlier model. I am not sure what specific changes were made, but overall the SMG in S-mode is a different animal.

I was curious to get some expert opinion on the right way to drive this car to preserve the longevity of the clutch and drivetrain?

1. Assuming the engine has been properly warmed up, I am typically shifting at 5,000-6,000 rpms. Is this too high for casual driving?

2. For city driving where I'm rarely getting above 50mph at most, is it best for the car to remain in lower gears (2-3) at higher rpm's? Or is it best to keep reduce the rpm's and drive in higher gears and be shifting more frequently?

3. Is it recommended to drive this car while holding 5,000-6,000 rpms for an extended amount of time?

I want to drive the car as I feel it was designed to be driven, so any insight into the shifting mechanics of the smg would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a 6-spd manual, and I don't know about most people but when I drive normally I typically rev the engine up to between 2500 and 3000RPM before I change to the next gear, and then keep the revs around 2000RPM when cruising around.

I am getting around 14.0-14.5MPG. I drive it similarly to my 5.7L Camaro

When I am accelerating hard or maintaining speed around a corner in racing posture, expecting to accelerate out of it, I keep the car between 6000 and 8000RPM, upshifting of course at ~8000.

I'm sure others have different views. I don't think constant 5000RPMs will hurt the engine, but probably just burn more fuel than you need to for cruising.

I would suspect that with the SMG, whatever the car decides to do in normal "Drive" mode in S3 or something would probably be how I would drive it typically.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Drive it like you stole it! I run mine around 5000 rpms down the highway, just love the growl of the V10. It is a drivers car.

·
Registered
195 Posts
OP if you purchased the car with 6000 miles on it, then you may wanna make sure if it was a demo at the bmw performance center in SC. I am sorry to worry you about it but most of the car around that many miles are from the performance center and boy do they get a beating. I had bought one and God knows how got rid of it.
As far as driving is concerned, you'll burn way more fuel and oil in 5000 rpms range than at lower Rpms. Call me a sissy but i usually change my gears around 2500 to 3000 rpms in everyday driving. Unless i wanna unleash the demon i do not daily shift like you do. Its totally up to you though, but i like to take it eazy on the car most of the time. GL

·
Registered
166 Posts
I want to drive the car as I feel it was designed to be driven, so any insight into the shifting mechanics of the smg would be greatly appreciated.
I would have to agree with CF on this, the car was meant to be DRIVEN!
I'm getting 12.7 mpg on my BLUE- and I shift at about 4500-6000.
I mean, prior to purchasing the vehicle, we are not in this care because the gas mileage is like prius, we are in it cuz we LOVE IT!
well, when I pump gas I'm all like ouich but then I get is and I'm like lovelove :thumbsup:

also, I have only put the car on "D" mode 2x's!

whats the point in driving in that mode!?

just my .02c

·
Registered
275 Posts
I suppose if you want to beat the s**t out of it then get rid of it, then drive it like you stole it and keep it at a constantly above 6000RPM all over town. Even in parking lots, rev that thing like it was designed for! It's a Formula One engine! (Let's forget for a minute that a Forumla One engine is rebuilt after every race) Who cares about gas? Its the cost of ownership! Mash the gas at every light. Hell, do burn outs from every light. So what if you have to replace the tires every three months? You have to pay to play! It's meant for that. Do donuts! Beat on it! Don't worry, we'll all be here when you post your sob story about your VANOS crapping out or your SMG puking. But that's just because BMW didn't design it properly! (Nevermind they ran these things lap after lap around Nurburgring during testing)

However, the flip side to that is that if you want to keep the car for any length of time and have it maintain it's beauty, functionality, and reliability to 100K miles and beyond, then you might want to treat it like what it really is: A fantastic BMW 5-series luxury car that happens to be very fast and handle very well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
^^^ I agree with Dave. When I hear "drive the car like it was meant to be driven" I do not think "5,000-7,000 RPM shifts at all times". I associate the saying with "it's a luxury sports sedan, so when you want to drive normally, that is fine, and when you want to drive like a monster, that is also fine." Shifting in the 2500-3000 RPM range is best if you want to drive normally.

·
Registered
20 Posts
All the comments are good opinions but the real question is, what is your motivation? You indicate that this is your second E60 M5 and you use some very colorful terms when describing your experiences with the new car, like: "blast to drive", "sold on SMG", "thrill of driving a race car"...etc. If I had to guess, sounds to me like you answered your own question. While I shift at more moderate RPM's, I do, on occaison, put my foot in it and then for me its "a blast to drive", "thrill of driving a race car", "damn the police"...etc.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hello Gents of good taste, i "my observation" feel, when the m5 was designed it was to travel the Autobahn and cover ground very quickly transporting business men whilst being balanced and stable at this very high velocity but for fast town driving or country lanes you had an m3. So keeping the revs high though good(Faster wear and tear on engine) is not i don't believe ideal around town cause of traffic and stop starts etc plus as was earlier stated engine will burn oil and of course fuel but most here knew that anyways, but even though this cars were designed with motorsports(race cars had engine rebuilt almost after every race) pedigree, they still don't like abuse which in my own opinion is this when you whip the revs all the time and though very well built cars BMW's are delicate compared to likes of Porsches and Mercs or Audi's(But then they don't handle anything like BMW's). So my approach to the cars is around town and daily driving 1500-2500 is fine and relaxing but occasionaly when safe and roads are open and clear of course i never hold back, but discression is better part of valour and we can enjoy our cars safely for us and everyone around us and the car will provide good service whilst doing so. Just my opinion.....Happy motoring. Y

·
Registered
43 Posts
Reactions: BB and CF458

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the comments everyone. I bought the car from the owner of a large car dealership chain here in Atlanta. I was curious what date you went to Atlanta Motor Speedway, as the destination is saved in the vehicles navigation. I would say there is a good chance this is the M5 I bought. It's not like there are too many 2010 Carbon Black M5 driving around Atlanta. If it is my car, I hope he treated her well..:M5launch:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes the previous owner is my neighbor and I stand corrected by the previous owner...the kidneys were painted carbon black. As far as the date the metadata in my pictures say Sept 6th 2010. And there are not too many M5s in Atl that have had the exhaust resonators removed. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
davemanm5,

Thanks for all your comments. Just to clarify your last thread. Are you saying that this is not the car I bought since it was your neighbors? Thanks for clarifying? I noticed you are in Woodstock, GA- any good places you know of to take these cars and drive them like they want to be driven. Bye the way, I love that black Sapphire your picked out. Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
No the car in the pictures was my neighbors car which you purchased in Roswell. I have taken it up to Deals Gap in Tn. which is an awesome drive. I will be taking my Z4 M Roadster up there in the spring for some fun.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Your car looks great!

·
Registered
63 Posts
For causal driving, I like to rev up to around 3,000 before I shift. When below, at most time, the SMG gear box needs to compensate by "automatically reving up" to make the shift. It was very obvious when you have an aftermarket exhaust (which I'm sure you'll have in the future!:p) because it's usually lounder.

A little hint with extending the life of your gearbox, I'm not sure if you have a lot of hills in your area but in Hong Kong there are plenty. A lot of SMG gets damage (regardless if it is a M3 or 5) by people preventing the car from rolling back at slopes by "holding" the car at clutch point rather than bringing the car to a complete stop then go. You'll understand what I mean if you have driven a manual before.

Congras on your purchase and please come back often and share with us your thoughts on your new beast. :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
No the car in the pictures was my neighbors car which you purchased in Roswell. I have taken it up to Deals Gap in Tn. which is an awesome drive. I will be taking my Z4 M Roadster up there in the spring for some fun.
We have a group of M cars go there in the spring and summer. You should keep an eye on the southeast section for a date on the next run!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts