BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying a M6 coupe and my biggest concern is the tranny type...Can someone chime in that has a Manual trans and tell me how you like or dislike it in the M6....I have heard that the man was an afterthought and the SMG is the way to go but I will always think the SMG is still an automatic trans not like a hydro operated tranny as in the Ferrari or the Lambo...Please tell me your thoughts on both good and bad...Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
You'll find lovers of both. I have a manual and love it! Just my preference though. The SMG will beat the manual in shifting speed for all out performance, but I'm not tracking the car.

·
8,369 Posts
This subject has been discussed here many many many times.

Kindly use the search feature and feel free to post on the existing threads.

·
Registered
966 Posts
A bunch of the concerns/issues with the manual have been worked out. I have a manual and think its great, very easy to drive even in chicago with all its stop signs and traffic. There were performance issues with the manual at first because you couldn't turn of DSC and what not. That's all been worked out. Additionally, and someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I think most of the MAJOR mechanical malfunctions on the vehicle after warranty has run out occur with the SMG transmission. For long term durability I feel much better owning the manual.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Looking at buying a M6 coupe and my biggest concern is the tranny type...Can someone chime in that has a Manual trans and tell me how you like or dislike it in the M6....I have heard that the man was an afterthought and the SMG is the way to go but I will always think the SMG is still an automatic trans not like a hydro operated tranny as in the Ferrari or the Lambo...Please tell me your thoughts on both good and bad...Thanks
SMG is just like any other F1 derived variant of a sequential manual gearbox like Ferrari uses in certain applications. Now lambo is different, it uses a dual clutch, but so will Ferrari on newer models, just like BMW has done with its DCT offered on the current M3 and future M6 & M5. SMG in the e63 M6 is using a hydroelectic clutch with an automated mode, but you will never think of it or confuse it with an automatic.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have the man trans and it's great in this car. The man trans allows you to become more a part of the car or at least it feels more "personal". Folks seem to be very impressed that a person can have a car with such luxury & performance with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ferrari(except 458) and Lamborghini both use automated single clutch transmission Like SMG.These transmission doesn't have torque converter so they are not Automatic.
May i ask why you have this question? as far as i know Manual tranny is only offered in U.S

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ferrari(except 458) and Lamborghini both use automated single clutch transmission Like SMG.These transmission doesn't have torque converter so they are not Automatic.
May i ask why you have this question? as far as i know Manual tranny is only offered in U.S
Signature indicates Paris:dunno:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Salut l'ami. I have the smg and absolutely love it (not in automatic mode but that's only meant to be used to free up your hands). But you really need to test both to see how you'll respond. SMG is a different kind of involvement than manual. Blindingly fast in the higher settings no doubt. I don't think you can go wrong with either but I would just make sure i test both before I drop this kind of cash. Bonne chance et dis nous ce que tu as choisi. Ciao,

·
Registered
329 Posts
Salut l'ami. I have the smg and absolutely love it (not in automatic mode but that's only meant to be used to free up your hands). But you really need to test both to see how you'll respond. SMG is a different kind of involvement than manual. Blindingly fast in the higher settings no doubt. I don't think you can go wrong with either but I would just make sure i test both before I drop this kind of cash. Bonne chance et dis nous ce que tu as choisi. Ciao,
Unless you are buying used, definitely try both.
SMG would be easiest for most drivers

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...ble-m6board-com/107242-m6-smg-vs-6-speed.html

The thread above should help you out with your decision!

And if you want my personal opinion, I'd say SMG. While I love manual shifting (have a 6MT in the M3), I think the SMG is best suited for the V10 engine, both because of having 7 speeds, and due to the fact that such a high revving and powerful engine is sometimes best driven with a sequential gearbox, IMO.

afc1

·
8,369 Posts
+ 1!

Couldnt have said it any better.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...ble-m6board-com/107242-m6-smg-vs-6-speed.html

The thread above should help you out with your decision!

And if you want my personal opinion, I'd say SMG. While I love manual shifting (have a 6MT in the M3), I think the SMG is best suited for the V10 engine, both because of having 7 speeds, and due to the fact that such a high revving and powerful engine is sometimes best driven with a sequential gearbox, IMO.

afc1

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
If you are buying the car for performance and what the car was built for then go SMG. SMG is much faster than the 6 speed and the car wasn't even meant for it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
This is a VERY subjective topic. I like both for different reasons but went with a 6MT because I figured this would likely be the last car I was able to own with a manual and thought that have a V10 attached to a clutch pedal would be a riot. I did not regret that choice and would get the manual again!!!!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
If you are buying the car for performance and what the car was built for then go SMG. SMG is much faster than the 6 speed and the car wasn't even meant for it.
I completely agree. The 7 speeds coupled with the lightning quick shifts of SMG are what it is about.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I completely agree. The 7 speeds coupled with the lightning quick shifts of SMG are what it is about.
I suppose this topic has been litterally discussed to *****. The reason I suggesated the purchaser try both transmissions is because as much as I enjoy MT; I and my wife are not experienced MT drivers. Might not be "fun" for us all based on experience, preferences and skill. No question if the OP plans to track the V10 SMG has a great shift optimization characteristic. For a DD I think it is worth consideration the convenience of SMG. For long term ownership, the cost to repair MT is probably lower than SMG from the posts I see on this forum.
Happy Holidays!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts