BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry,
It seems to be alot of issues that get posted about this car on this forum. It makes me paranoid about owning it, lol. I've owned mine since 2013, and over the last 4 years I've only had to replace a hall sensor and the battery. Knock on wood, I've never had an SMG problem ,but I did replace the relays. I've tracked the car about 7 times since 2015 and put about 35K miles on her since 2013. Hopefully others have had some luck with these cars.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Nice! I hope you did change all the fluids/filters in this time period as well (oil hopefully more than once ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
We should start a poll to see who has had major service or failure and those like yours and exclude all low mileage cars for some consistency. F. Everytime I start it, as another member put it, I feel like i'm pulling a pin out of a grenade, all for nothing probably.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Similar here, 2010 model I've had for 4 years now. Mind you I've only put about 19,000,i (30,500km) on the vehicle. I end up being proactive out of boredom (all items serviced, fluids changed, etc) and have taken to replacing individual interior parts and making subtle upgrades to try to keep busy. I actually bought the car because it was labelled a nightmare and I was looking forward to the challenge. The first month I had it there was an issue with the SMG and I figured I was finally living my dream when I couldn't solve it, ha. I'm sure it'll happen eventually tho, but not much to report here...

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,696 Posts
Nice! I hope you did change all the fluids/filters in this time period as well (oil hopefully more than once ;)
^This!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Same here, from my 2-1/2yr ownership since 73k miles 2010 E63, have done nothing to repair not even the battery (always connected to a trickle charger). So just have been doing general maintenance and mods.

It’s been running solid, no engine light or transmission issues (smg) not even a hiccup.

Have tracked it 2-3x already as well and few mountain runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2006 M5
400 Posts
Sorry,
It seems to be alot of issues that get posted about this car on this forum. It makes me paranoid about owning it, lol. I've owned mine since 2013, and over the last 4 years I've only had to replace a hall sensor and the battery. Knock on wood, I've never had an SMG problem ,but I did replace the relays. I've tracked the car about 7 times since 2015 and put about 35K miles on her since 2013. Hopefully others have had some luck with these cars.
You just facked yourself.... now Murphys law is watching you like the eye of Sauron.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, definitely changed fluids and regular oil changes (in fact Amazon has a decent deal on Castrol 10W-60), so just bought a 12 pack to change the oil. I'm at 66K, I bought it with 29K miles and 13 months left on the BMW warranty, then got a 6 year Fidelity warranty that ended in 2019 (I might be one of the few where the warranty company paid less than I paid them) Actually I've had it since Nov 2012. With today's V10 M5 and M6 prices, it's hard not to buy a second. lol. I wish I liked the looks of the front and back of the M6's better, those are a crazy bargain right now, and 200 lb lighter.
Yep, always worried about the JINX NoVA8675309, but hey it's a time bomb right, so can't make it worse?
Good to see that others are having a good experience with the reliability of their E60 M5's.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My car is an 08 I bought at 92k milage now at almost 114k. I have done everything preventative possible, and the car has been reliable except the day the clutch went it died in my drive way. There has only been a few small things that come along here and there that need to be addressed, but I love my car. I’ve taken care of it like a super sedan should be.

PS: I have been driving my car 200+ miles a week for the past 3 months.

Zac

·
Registered
415 Posts
When you come to forums and FB Groups that’s all you mostly see for any car.

People come for help because of issues they have.

Besides regular picture threads, not many post random posts just saying nothing happened today lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
840 Posts
We need more threads like this...as O2sys stated most threads/posts are about issues owners have and horror stories. But when taken as an average there are many more S85's running around on original bearings than many would have believed given what we read online.

As I stated in another thread I've seen so many M5's that have over 200k kms on their original bearings in Europe and are still going strong. If you're here with a high mileage S85's on its original bearings let's hear your ownership experience too. It will do a world of good !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts