BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks!

A quick question that I know you late-model 2009 and 2010 owners can easily answer...

I was trying to research the iPod/Smartphone hook-up options in the late-LCI models (late 2009+ with the new iDrive) and I couldn't find any information detailing the following:

S6FLA - USB-AUDIO-SCHNITTSTELLE (USB/audio interface) -- Obviously, the USB port to plugging in the iPod / phone.
S6NFA - MUSIC-SCHNITTSTELLE FUER SMARTPHONE (Music interface for Smartphone) -- What is this, exactly?

Thanks,

-b.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I am sure the 2010 model year folks can chime in, but everything I have read is that the USB interface allows for transferring of music files to the internal music partition of the CIC hard drive from a memory stick or hard drive in a USB enclosure. It also allows for playing music files directly from the USB memory device. I do not think it allows for control of an Iphone. I haven't seen anything about the Smartphone option, but would think it is the Iphone cable/interface?

By the way, in the US only the 2010 model year has the CIC. Not to be confused with the fact that it is a late 2009 build date (9/2009 and up). But a late 2009 build date is not a late 2009 model year, they started building the 2010 for the three months prior.

As has been noted in the past, the 2009 European cars do have CIC in 2009 (or build date 8/2008 and up).

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
There are 2 USB ports (as I recall, because my M6 is ready for pick-up at the body shop right now so I can't verify) and one (in the console box) is for playing music and the other (in the glove box) is for importing music onto the hard disk. The glove box is the "AUX" port. I have Android phones so I can't advise on iPhone integration. I use a thumb drive (center console) to play music that I don't already have on the hard disk or I drive for an hour and import most of my music via the glove box USB port. There is 12.5 gb of disk space for music (of the 80 gb total on the disk) and it looks like a larger hard disk won't give you any more music space as they use virtual partitions, etc. (this per Al/Zerocks1). I have about 125 albums (roughly 1500 tracks) on the hard disk.

Hope that helps.

If at all possible get a 2010 as it has the best audio setup of any of the E63/E64 model years for U.S. cars. My car was produced in September 2009 and is a 2010 model year car. The 2010s were made starting around April/May in 2009 and were produced until August 2010. So they had at least a 15 month model year. The 2009s had a short model year (Sept 2008 - March 2009) which partially accounts for why there are relatively few '09 cars. But overall monthly production had tapered off after the peak in 2007 - 2008.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Yep, Mark is correct about the USB drives on the 2010.

If I stream music from the phone it is through the audio output inside the glove box. However, the usb stick sounds much better.

I don't have an iphone either, so I can't comment on that. Sorry

·
8,369 Posts
I had this on my 2009 M6: S6FLA. It basically enables to hook up my iPod via USB and Audio Input BMW adapter cable.

Sorry just now chiming in......just got back from vacation and very busy driving and working on my new car.

Dan

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had this on my 2009 M6: S6FLA. It basically enables to hook up my iPod via USB and Audio Input BMW adapter cable.

Sorry just now chiming in......just got back from vacation and very busy driving and working on my new car.

Dan
Hi Dan!

No worries! Shortly after I sent the PMs I saw on the Ferrari board that you were off touring the factory. :) Please feel free to derail this thread with photos and synopsis of your trip! :applause: :hihi:

Also, what have you done to your new toy so far?

-b.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts