BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I'm thinking about these two cars more seriously in the months ahead.

I had a 2003 M3 and the SMG was horribly unreliable ending up in me selling the car due to it needing the expensive smg pump.

How reliable would a 2010 M5 be w SMG ? If it is not, I have no problem with the 7 series and give up "fun" over practicality.

As well, I can't afford many days of my car being the shop again, as my wife will kill me.

So its down to these two 2010 e60 M5 vs 2011 750li/i w xdrive and msport pkg.

I appreciate your thoughts.

sj

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I'm not sure I could answer this question. Both are very different cars and not fair to chose one over the other. That being said it depends what you're looking for. Personally I'm an all out performance guy so I'd go with the m5 in a heartbeat and the 7 is too boaty but still a nice comfy ride. The smg is fine just as long as you have service records for that car. It's a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Buy a 2010 M5 with the proper extended warranty = problem solved.

The 7 series, while a great car, is no where near the same category as the M5. It's slower, handles much worse, and doesn't offer anywhere near as much driving satisfaction.

Reactions: Edenhurst

·
Registered
729 Posts
This is like comparing an S550 Mercedes to an E63 AMG. The cars are completely different. If you want a more luxurious ride, with a lot of space for added passengers, get the 7. If space isn't an issue, but you want a fun fast ride, get the M. I've had all these cars and unless you have a couple kids and this will be your daily, I would suggest the M.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Haha...yeah completely different cars. You are posting this on an M-board. Everyone here will tell you to get an M5. If they don't, they need to have their head examined....:7:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
All,

I'm thinking about these two cars more seriously in the months ahead.

I had a 2003 M3 and the SMG was horribly unreliable ending up in me selling the car due to it needing the expensive smg pump.

How reliable would a 2010 M5 be w SMG ? If it is not, I have no problem with the 7 series and give up "fun" over practicality.

As well, I can't afford many days of my car being the shop again, as my wife will kill me.

So its down to these two 2010 e60 M5 vs 2011 750li/i w xdrive and msport pkg.

I appreciate your thoughts.

sj
It all depends on how you like to ride. Sting like a bee or float like a Cadillac?

Get a 7 series if you're a pimp, put some 22's on it as well.
Get an M5 is you're a gear head.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The M5 will cost you a small fortune to maintain. Rotors & pads are around $1500 per axle. Oil changes run $200+, Spark plugs $500+, plus all kinds of other regular maintenance items. Tires go fast on these cars. Plan to budget about $2500/year just on maintenance items....if you don't beat on it. If you drive the hell out of it, those costs can rise quickly. An extended warranty is very pricey on this cars. Find one with under $35k miles and talk to your local credit union to see if they offer extended warranties. That could cut the warranty cost by 50-70%.

The 7 series is also expensive to maintain, although not as much as the M5. Neither car will ever make the JD Powers or Consumer Reports lists for reliability. If the high costs for maintenance and warranties are not something you'd like to stomach, then you might want to consider a used Lexus LS460 instead of the 7 series for about the same price.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Dave, bring your car by me, I'll gladly charge you those prices for maintenance lol. I did plugs, oil, smg and dif fluid, all for under $1k *with* labor. And here I thought you were the budget shopper....

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
if maintenance costs are of concern to you...take an E60 M5 w/ SMG off your list man. seriously. its something that you have to get into knowing that it will eat $2500+ each year to maintain. its like buying an exotic.

of the two options, id truly recommend the 750i (not the Li) M-Sport. its a beautiful car and will be somewhat sporty....yet much more reliable than the E60 w/ SMG.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I drive my car on average 200 miles a month. I guess maintenance costs aren't a concern to me since it doesn't require much, mine is yearly or every other year. Money aside, luxury or sport, that is the question!

·
Registered
729 Posts
^^ hahahaha

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have both the M5 and a 750li, and you know I'd be hard pressed to choose one over another. The 7 usually sits in the shop where it gets things replaced and fixed, while the M5 usually sits in the driveway being the daily driver. After driving the M5 for a month the two days that I get to drive the 7 the 7 feels absolutely sublime. It is such a comfortable car that just doesn't give any drama. However, usually about a week or two later the 7 breaks again and it has to go back to the dealer and I use the M5 as a daily again. After not driving the M5 for about a week or so when you hop back into it it feels like everything is right in the world again. Odds are if I could do it all over again I'd probably suggest the 750i and every once or twice a year when you need the red mist find a friend that has a ferrari or something (like an M5) and experience the thrill of a high powered machine for the few times you really need it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Go buy an E63 AMG or even an S63 (although much less agile) if you want the best of both worlds. Easy.

If you're comparing an M car to a 7-series then the M5 really isn't for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts