BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although they are a couple of people that have done the E60 CIC retrofit overseas it hasn't been documented with pics. Hopefully this log will help those that are hesitant or not sure of whats need it for the retrofit.

I received most of the parts that i needed for the retrofit. Still waiting for a couple of parts that should be here on Friday. Looking at doing the installation,coding and programming sometime over the weekend with Patryk. Wanna thank R9ndy and Technic for all the help in getting the right part numbers.

For those interested in this retrofit, the main part numbers that you need regardless of you own pre-lci or lci are

61119185171 CIC HD Screen cable
61319167196 USB Port
61129196805 USB Port cable
51456976361 CIC Center trim
61136954526 CID CAN/power connector

Everything else is based on the year of your car and your wood trim. For those who own LCI cars you have less parts to buy than those with Pre-LCI cars.

If you have a LCI car the only parts you need to replace is the center trim and support bracket for the new idrive controller.

If you have a pre-lci be prepared to spend about $400-$600 for the lci conversion.

Total cost for for the retrofit is about $3000 give or take.

·
Registered
992 Posts
wow, thanks!

is there any way you can tell me if the CIC controller can just be retrofitted in non-CIC systems (an '08 for example)?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
700 Posts
if this retrofit/mod is possible to get the new idrive system and controller working, i think there would be plenty of people on this board who would interested.
please keep us updated in your tech adventure.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
wait, does this mean the updated CIC system is HD based like the 2010 M5s? If so, 3k would be totally worth it! Do you need to buy a new screen even if you have a LCI car like an 08?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
OP should post step-by-step instructions for his car.

i know it varies by model year / lci or not, but at least it would be a starting point.

·
Registered
455 Posts
wait, does this mean the updated CIC system is HD based like the 2010 M5s? If so, 3k would be totally worth it! Do you need to buy a new screen even if you have a LCI car like an 08?
+1? and +1! and +1?

And you're in Orlando, so I could just pay you to do it! hiha

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I just finish with the installation of the CIC and coding . Im super tired. Everything works GREAT!!! The coding session with Patryk was awesome. Got good and bad news, the bad news is for me since i was the first one to do the retrofit. Let just say the retrofit just got cheaper for everybody thats thinking about doing it.

Had a couple of issues with the installation.
1. To install the new idrive controller it requires to remove the whole armrest and do some cutting that i did not want to do.
2. To install the new center trim it requires a new shifter trim.
3. AC console is a bit smaller, will have to upgrade to a lci one, but its ok for now.

The good news is that the the current idrive controller works great with the CIC. In another words its not worth changing the trim just to be able to use the new controller. The only thing that the new idrive controller has on the old one is source presets built in to the new controller but you are able to program the shortcuts in the 1-8 presets. Everything else works the same.

If you have a CCC system(pre-lci) the only parts you have to get is the CIC trim and optional AC console(used). You can use everything else. No need to change to trim, no need to relocate the ashtray. Thats about $500 -$600 in savings.

LCI owners only need to change CIC trim, thats it.

Kinda pissed that im now stuck with quite a few parts that was not needed. Hopefully i can work out something with [email protected] Newport BMW to return them, i know i might get killed with the restocking fee.

I was also happy to find out that my Dension 500 works perfect

The Navigation FSC code was succesfully loaded. Navigation WORKS!!!! The only issue which was a miscommunication between me and Patryk because he thought i had a USA CIC but i had an European CIC, so i need the US map which he will send me via FTB on Monday. Its a 15gb download.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CID removed, getting ready to remove the M-ask unit.

M-ak unit with Audison Bitone processor controller.

Removing M-Ask unit

M-Ask trim removed

Getting ready to install CIC.

CIC install, its basically PLUG AND PLAY.

European FM radio( Before Coding)

Test fitting the CIC.

This where you have to cut if you want to fit the new controller, I dont recommend going that route.

As you can see a new shifter trim is needed because of the gap with the LCI Center trim.

Reactions: v8venom and JT///M5

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Thats a great job you did man! You are truly the first person to take the plunge and retrofit the new CIC Nav/iDrive!! I am very impressed and glad that it can be done. I know I posed this question months ago and everyone just shot it down as undoable. Now that you've led the way, this is one mod I am willing to spend the time and money to do.

Seeing that this maybe something many others may attempt to do, if you could possible start a new thread with a complete writeup, I know Gustav could probably sticky this. Its well worth the effort! Thank you for figuring this out for the rest of us. You are the man!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dension 500

Gap issue with AC console, Thats only because i have a pre-lci. LCI owners will not have this issue. Is not as bad as it looks, will replace it when i find a deal on a used one.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
258 Posts
awesome just awesome. kind of wish i didn't have nav or mine broke out of warranty. is there anyway you can do a complete step by step how-to with list of parts needed for both pre-lci and lci?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
awesome just awesome. kind of wish i didn't have nav or mine broke out of warranty. is there anyway you can do a complete step by step how-to with list of parts needed for both pre-lci and lci?
Yes i can. I will post it in a bit. If you guys got any questions, let me know. You can check out this links for more info. Will post later a more detailed list of parts needed for the retrofit.

CIC Retrofit Installation LOG - 5 Series Forums

iDrive CIC Retrofit - Who can do it in UK? - 5 Series Forums

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if this retrofit/mod is possible to get the new idrive system and controller working, i think there would be plenty of people on this board who would interested.
please keep us updated in your tech adventure.
I got your PM but i was unable to reply due to my low post count. You can send me an email at nepl29 at Gmail. com

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
To avoid confusion i'm gonna list an up to date P/N needed for the retrofit.

2004-2007 Pre-LCI owners that are cool with keeping their current idrive controller.

CCC Owners:

61319167196 USB Port

M-ASK Owners:

61319167196 USB Port

You will also need a CCC center that goes under the CIC trim
This how it looks, its #15but you have to get your correct wood color.
RealOEM.com BMW E60 530i Trim panel dashboard

Pre-LCI owners will also need to change the AC console to an LCI one so there wont be no gaps in between the switches.

*** For those who want to use the new idrive controller you will have to remove the armrest, cut around and remove your current idrive controller module.Purchase a new center trim($150-$300)remove the ashtray and relocate it( you will need an LCI ashtray). You will also need a new shifter trim. You will also need to cut where your current ashtray fit to fit the new center trim. You also need to purchase the LCI set of covers that goes under the CIC trim. #16 RealOEM.com BMW E60N 528i Retrofit, fine poplar wood trim, dark
Will also need the the idrive contoller trim and bracket P/N 51169155970, 51169155987 that will have to be source from Europe. Can not be orderred from a North American dealer***

2008 to early 2009 build LCI owners that are cool with keeping their current idrive controller.

CCC Owners

61319167196 USB Port

M-ASK Owners

61319167196 USB Port

You will also need a CCC center that goes under the CIC trim
this is how it looks, Its #16 but you have to get your correct wood color
RealOEM.com BMW E60N 528i Retrofit, fine poplar wood trim, dark

***For those who want to use the new idrive controller you will have to remove the armrest, cut around and remove your current idrive controller module.Purchase a new center trim($150-$300) Will also need the the idrive contoller trim and bracket P/N 51169155970, 51169155987 that will have to be source from Europe. Can not be orderred from a North American dealer.***

Late 2009 owners with the new Idrive controller

CCC Owners

61319167196 USB Port

M-ASK Owners

61319167196 USB Port

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does all M5's come standard with Navigation?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Awesome write-up!

I do believe that navigation is standard on all 2006+ M5s.

I also believe M-ASK is standard as well.

I'm picking up a 2006 M5 this week and plan this as one of my first mods.

While I'm at it, I intend to swap out my wood trim w/ aluminum or get carbon fiber skins. Haven't made up my mind yet.

I was trying to locate the correct M-drive shifter trim on realoem, but when I pick an E60 LCI, there is no M5 model to pick from, so I went with the E60 non-LCI with a 2009/1 manufacturer date. Part number is 51168046107. I wonder if that is the right one?

1 - 20 of 232 Posts