• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
What do you guys think of this?
Original Rod Bearings? Lol

View attachment 932911 View attachment 932911
Hahah...mate...people here want blood..want destroyed crackshafts.... Whole in blocks....
The rod bearings issue was exacerbated by people who make money fixing cars...to the date I still believed rod issues is a result of bad owners and not poor design

·
Registered
21 Posts
Troy posted about an e60 m with 260k on original rod bearings. It did end up spinning multiple ones if I remember correctly. I’m at 124k on what I presume to be original rod bearings and... let’s just say I’m not too confident! Haha, I want to change them as soon as possible

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thinking of picking up an 07 m6 with 90k miles. The struggle is real in my head right now.
Where do you guys think the market is heading for these cars? Rock bottom or not yet?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thinking of picking up an 07 m6 with 90k miles. The struggle is real in my head right now.
Where do you guys think the market is heading for these cars? Rock bottom or not yet?
YOLO

·
Registered
361 Posts
Oil change every 1200 miles? Take that to the bank
Not a bad price, if it runs good - ship it to a shop that will do the bearings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's dedication right there... if its true that car has had 166 oil changes!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I’m coming up on 200,000 in 33,000 miles and on my third duty cycle on batteries, rod bearings, injectors, suspension, bushings, and hoses.

Of all things, I am on my ORIGINAL throttle actuators!!!!

Let’s see, from what I can remember, I’ve gone through one clutch/transmission, one blown Dinan 3.91, one OEM oil cooler, one alternator/voltage regulator, one power steering pump, one HP VANOS line/oil pumps, and one fuel pump/filer. Five sets of plugs and coils.

I’ve lost count of fluid flushes: oil every 3000 to 4000 miles, diff and tranny every 15,000 because of track duty.

I think I’m easily $80,000+ in mods/maintenance/labor, plus the purchase price of the car nine years ago. With that said, I have gone way way overboard with motorsport quality replacement upgrades. OEM would’ve been cheaper, but where’s the fun in that!!!

Thankfully, I never financed the purchase, so (in theory) the maintenance costs could be amortized out over the years. The proper maintenance on a 200,000 miles s85 is not cheap. Like I’ve said before, I’d like to see the maintenance bill of a v10 from VAG or Porsche that made it to 200,000 miles. More likely, I’d like to see IF a v10 from VAG or Porsche could make it to 200,000 miles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
More likely, I’d like to see IF a v10 from VAG or Porsche could make it to 200,000 miles.
There was a rental huracan in las Vegas a while ago that had 150k+ miles, VAG did well on that one I guess. As for porsche v10’s, I don’t think anyone will ever drive their cgt enough for us to know haha

·
Registered
132 Posts
I’m coming up on 200,000 in 33,000 miles and on my third duty cycle on batteries, rod bearings, injectors, suspension, bushings, and hoses.

Of all things, I am on my ORIGINAL throttle actuators!!!!

Let’s see, from what I can remember, I’ve gone through one clutch/transmission, one blown Dinan 3.91, one OEM oil cooler, one alternator/voltage regulator, one power steering pump, one HP VANOS line/oil pumps, and one fuel pump/filer. Five sets of plugs and coils.

I’ve lost count of fluid flushes: oil every 3000 to 4000 miles, diff and tranny every 15,000 because of track duty.

I think I’m easily $80,000+ in mods/maintenance/labor, plus the purchase price of the car nine years ago. With that said, I have gone way way overboard with motorsport quality replacement upgrades. OEM would’ve been cheaper, but where’s the fun in that!!!

Thankfully, I never financed the purchase, so (in theory) the maintenance costs could be amortized out over the years. The proper maintenance on a 200,000 miles s85 is not cheap. Like I’ve said before, I’d like to see the maintenance bill of a v10 from VAG or Porsche that made it to 200,000 miles. More likely, I’d like to see IF a v10 from VAG or Porsche could make it to 200,000 miles.
Hi Rob

I have personally never seen an E60 M5 with exterior mods that look better than stock..
What I can say about E60 M5 is that is an extraordinary value...im absolutely in love with it and I plan on keeping it forever and some.years:).
I have never driven a car so special...I even love the smg(when I'm not in the town). People complain about rod bearings and other spendings??? Are we kidding? You can buy a decent m5 for around 10k+ put say another 5k for rod bearings and other stuff and for 15k you have a supercar... tell me another 15k car that can offer as much as the m5

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't think it'll go lower than 10k. For a used early m5, the lowest I've seen was arounf 13k.

I picked up my 06 smg with 86k miles for 14.3k. Recently had rod bearings done with squirters, new tires, clutch and pump replaced around 68k miles. Unfortunately I had to replace the original throttle actuator shortly after owning it, but I factored that into my cost. I've already spent over 6k on mods and full maintenance, but I absolutely love my comfortable and eargasmic daily driver.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts