BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After looking on the internet for sometime, I have found an M6 that have absolutely fell in love with, one that is within my budget.
It is a Bronze 2008 M6 from Chicago with 5152 miles on it. However, I discovered that the vehicle was an Performance Center Vehicle, which would mean that the car would have been abused for those 5 thousand miles. Yet from the same dealer is another Red 2008 BMW M6 that was privately owned with 4852 miles on it that was selling for the exact same price. A scam? maybe, but still, I really dont like the colors on the Red BMW.
Therefore, if I was to ensist on getting the Bronze M6, how much lower of a price should I be asking for ? ??????
The dealer is currently offering 67000 USD for both cars.
P.S. PC cars cannot be CPO'ed and both cars are from auctions
Should I just forget about the PC car and get the Red M6...? My heart would bleed with that boring interior...

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
imho, if you are buying preowned, I would never buy one that isnt CPOd...the costs for service and maint are too high, its worth the cost to find one with a warranty in tact...good luck

·
Registered
202 Posts
For a 2008, the original new car warranty should still be in effect for at least a couple more years right? After which, you can probably get an after-market warranty for the car. The bronze is definately a gorgeous color and you dont see too many of them. The color was probably considered when pricing the car. I dont know if you could say the Performance Center cars are abused. These cars are meant to be driven hard and if anything the Performance Center would probably maintain the cars much better that the average Joe. No offense to any Joes out there.

As you can tell, I am leaning towards the Bronze and for $67K, it sounds like a steal.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
...I discovered that the vehicle was an Performance Center Vehicle, which would mean that the car would have been abused for those 5 thousand miles.
...The dealer is currently offering 67000 USD
Sepang Bronze is a great color :M5thumbs:
I would be concerned about the Performance Center history. The "M Driving Experience" (included with new car purchases) has one exercise with a short oval, driven at high RPM in second gear. The straight is just long enough to allow shifting at redline into third. This is much harder driving that a typical car. If you expect to keep the car beyond the warranty coverage, you might want to consider a different car.

Either car is very low mileage, so the "in service" date is critical. A MY 2008 could have been delivered in October 2007, so only 2 years remain on the warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I also believe that PC cars are better maintaned than regular Joe's Car, however, it is also true that
5 thousand miles of 5 to 6 thousand rpms in the track IS abusing the car. Regular Joes would probably
be averaging 2 to 3 thousand rpms Max in everyday driving.
For the same mileage, two times the rpm is two times the engine wear, Plus the extra damage done
on the engine and tranny by the high rpm and temp. The Bronze car might as well be having 10 to 15k
miles if considered in everyday driving terms. I Believe it should definitly be worth less than the Red car,
the question is, How much lower should the price be?

P.S. The Warranty for the Bronze lasts till 2011.12.21

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I would not get a performance center car. True they are probably well maintained, but I can't imagine the break-in procedure was followed. I would buy another one that is CPO. Maybe look at other dealerships if you are having trouble finding the perfect car. GL with your decision!

afc1
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
582 Posts
PC car is a track car, anybody who tracks their car knows the abuse is excesive compared to normal driving; I'd go for the red one if you can only choose from those two and IMO it looks beter. What color is the interior on the red one?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Red M6 has the black interior and the carbon fiber trim, very monotone, very boring.
The Bronze M6 has the extended Sepang Merino interior and the walnut wood trim.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I forgot to mention this, but definitely get a PPI on BOTH of them. Even though the Indy Red one was privately owned, you said it was auction purchased, which could imply accident history. A thorough PPI will likely reveal any underlying issues.

afc1

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Red BMW M6 was a leased vehicle. It was returned to the dealer after a year and couple months of use then the dealer put it to auction.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I would definitley go with the red/black if it was me (light colored leather stains a lot). Not to mention that the bronze was used at a track for 5k miles...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I did some detailed research for the Red M6 and it appears that it also have some hidden history not shown on carfax.
First, it is a loan/lien vehicle that was reclaimed by the leaser, interesting but not a big deal.
However, the following info was spotted too.

Repair History (Claims)
Center ID..Location ID..Claim Number..Claim Date...Repair Order #
21390.......1................442350...........11-10-2008..122485

Repair Order Date..Repair Entry Date..Davis #..Mileage...Defect Code
11-07-2008...........11-10-2008...........1...........2871......3310923900

Description
E46 E60 E63 E63 S54 S85 Final Drive Unit, grating noise when cornering

Does this mean that a problem was confirmed by BMW and then fixed accordingly? or just identified by the customer only.?
Regardless, guess its another Dont Buy vehicle...

·
Registered
75 Posts
What is a PPI?

How did you find this info that was not on the carfax?

I did some detailed research for the Red M6 and it appears that it also have some hidden history not shown on carfax.
First, it is a loan/lien vehicle that was reclaimed by the leaser, interesting but not a big deal.
However, the following info was spotted too.

Repair History (Claims)
Center ID..Location ID..Claim Number..Claim Date...Repair Order #
21390.......1................442350...........11-10-2008..122485

Repair Order Date..Repair Entry Date..Davis #..Mileage...Defect Code
11-07-2008...........11-10-2008...........1...........2871......3310923900

Description
E46 E60 E63 E63 S54 S85 Final Drive Unit, grating noise when cornering

Does this mean that a problem was confirmed by BMW and then fixed accordingly? or just identified by the customer only.?
Regardless, guess its another Dont Buy vehicle...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts