BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Does anyone have suggestions of where to install the V1 Radar detector and the Blinder M45 Sensors on a 2008 M5.

I will be installing them both and would like to learn from someone who has already done a installation and is happy with the results.

Thanks

Darryl

·
Registered
24 Posts
Valentine Detector

Make sure the detector works before you go through the aggravation of the installation.

I have a 2007 M6 and my V1 constantly indicates a radar signal from behind (and is unusable, as a result).

I have talked with Valentine about it and they acknowledge that some (many?) 2007 and later BMW's have a problem with their detectors, Their only suggestion was to have the dealer relocate my GPS and Satellite antennas (which is impossible, since the antennas are encapsulated in the trunk lid). Other than that, they told me I was on my own.

In my opinion, the Valentine Company sucks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

I got mine this week and set it up on the passenger side visor and plugged into the lighter.

It seemed to work fine and many other BMW owners have had great sucess. Its weird that yours is not working.

Thanks

Darryl

·
Registered
24 Posts
Valentine said they had reports of lots of BMWs with the problem, but not all of them. What I think is incredibly poor is that they basically said it's my problem.

My real problem is that I paid $400 for a product that doesn't work and the manufacturer won't stand behind it.

·
Banned
56 Posts
My real problem is that I paid $400 for a product that doesn't work and the manufacturer won't stand behind it.

So if you bought DirecTV but didn't have a clear, unobstructed view to the Southwest, you would blame DirecTV for not standing behind their product?

Send it back, get a refund, and move on to a product that will work in your environment.

·
Registered
649 Posts
yep i have the same problem with my V1 always beeping a Ka signal from behind, i was going to call, but after reading on the board that theres nothing that can be done guess ill just deal with it...not happy thoughgrrrrrrr
going to install the blinder as well...let us know how it goes..

·
Registered
232 Posts
I too had this problem, and I figured out a way to fix it on my 08' M5.

The problem for me, was location. When I hardwired my V1 above my rear view mirror (driver side), I would get this annoying KA problem from the back.

However, if I MOVED the Valentine one BELOW my rear view mirror, the problem was gone.

Sure the V1 is a little more "visible" but, no more annoying KA false alarms from the back. I think the trade off was worth it.

I also found that if I had it on the passenger visor, or below the rear view mirror on the passenger side, the problem was gone.

The only time I had the problem was when the V1 was above the rear view mirror on either side.

Hope this helps some of you... it worked for me.

-F

·
Registered
376 Posts
I went for the Calibre/K40 Jammer set-up. Bluetooth wireless. No problems and nothing to see except two blue lights mounted on the underside of the overhang where the speedo is. It's a pricey set-up($2000) but I know the jammer has saved me at least once.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a 2008 and I am local I should be doing my install in the next 2 weeks so PM if you want to check it out.

Valentine One will be in the rear view mirror all the controls and display and the sensors will be secretly hidden in the sickest location ever. I did the same job on my 545i years back. Not an easy job but I will post photos when its done.

I have the blinder parts as well I havent decided how I will mount them if I will remove the bumpers or not.

I am doing the install myself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
V1 and Blinder installation

Hi

I'd love to check it out. I am pretty handy but rather not experiment with a new expensive car. Rather get insight from someone thats been there and done that before.

I work in the Lower Manhattan and live in Northern NJ. Let me know where and when is convenient.

Thanks.

Regards,

·
Registered
232 Posts
For those of you having problems with your 07's and 08's with the Valentine 1 above the rear view mirror, here is a picture I took of my car, showing you where you can put the V1 and it will NOT give false alarms.

I had the same problem everyone else did, annoying KA falses from behind when above the rear view mirror... it's a location issue, if you move it down some the problem goes away.

There are other places you can put it as well to get rid of the false alarms, it just seems that above the rear view mirror is just too high and it catches the GPS/satellite antenna on the back of the car.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a 2008 and I am local I should be doing my install in the next 2 weeks so PM if you want to check it out.

Valentine One will be in the rear view mirror all the controls and display and the sensors will be secretly hidden in the sickest location ever. I did the same job on my 545i years back. Not an easy job but I will post photos when its done.

I have the blinder parts as well I havent decided how I will mount them if I will remove the bumpers or not.

I am doing the install myself.
I am also in NJ (work in NYC) and would be interested in how you are getting this in your rearview mirror as a DIY project. I just put it on the passenger sunvisor and ran the wire down the A pillar, hardwired to cigarette lighter style outlet in the passenger footwell.

Someone here, brainblade, has a great looking install in the rearview mirror with arrows and the whole nine. http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104851&highlight=v1+install

·
Registered
232 Posts
Flash...

Where do you hardwire it to? I can't see any wires...
Look carefully at the picture again, take a look at the left side of the rear view mirror, real close to the glass. You can see the wire pressed up against it flat... it goes right up the side of my mirror and into my headliner, then down the usual path to the passenger footwell and onto the jack under the dash.

From the driver seat, you don't see the wire... from the side however you can see it fairly clear. This picture should be a bit more obvious.

The rear view mirror does a good job of masking the wire from the driver and passenger seats, and the front view too.. it looks like an extension of the rear view mirror, too bad the suction cups give it away. Overall I was happy with it, mostly because it stopped false alarming.

-F

·
Registered
216 Posts
Gadget, do you have the ipctures without the blue/red boxes... so we can actually see what the sensors look like?

-F
Not really. I havent picked up my M5. It's still going through Productions. I'll post up some pictures of what others did. Hang on...:lightbulb:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts