BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The flywheel and clutch was replaced and car won't start up now.
It keeps cranking but doesn't fire.
What are the possible issues we have here ?
The BMW Foxwell scanner shows no error codes stored in the DME module.
The Master Technician claims the flywheel isn't OEM and we should re-do
the work using the old flywheel. He thinks the flywheel position sensor isn't
picking up the signal from the new flywheel.

is there anything else that we should look into ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Sounds like the flywheel was incorrectly installed. Someone else posted about this a while ago. Bolt pattern is supposed to only let you install it in the correct orientation but apparently one can force it in some other way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the flywheel was incorrectly installed. Someone else posted about this a while ago. Bolt pattern is supposed to only let you install it in the correct orientation but apparently one can force it in some other way.
Thanks for the quick reply.

This is the quote i have from that other thread: "There are nine different ways to mount the FW, but only 1 is right".
Any clues what we should look for ? Where can i find the correct orientation.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply.

This is the quote i have from that other thread: "There are nine different ways to mount the FW, but only 1 is right".
Any clues what we should look for ? Where can i find the correct orientation.
Any shop that has ever done a BMW flywheel before should know. That said if you did it yourself, there is dowel on the crank on one of the bolt holes. On the front of the flyhwheel in hte center there is a marking that looks like ^-^ that marking lines up with the dowel pin. Now you reallly have to beat on it to get it to fit wrong, and if you do you might crush the dowel. IT's replaceable if you have to.

What aftermarket flywheel did you get?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LUK is OEM minus the BMW logo ;)

I assure you it works and it has the alignment stamping on it.
Thank you, this is very helpful. We will be taking the clutch and flywheel out tomorrow , i will give these details to the mechanic. He hasn't done a BMW SMG before, but they are bending over backwards to help me out.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Gonna give you a hint here then too...

Since he hasn't done an smg before, I assume he doesn't have the "special" clutch tool. So when takes it off make sure it doesn't fall apart esp the first clutch disk. The two plates and two disks are balanced with each other's counter part so try to prevent it from separating. If it does you'll find the mating paint marks and you can figure it out, but better to prevent it from happening. Second if you have the ship spring still, before losing the pressure plate stick the spring back in. It makes putting it back on easier.

Also make sure the flywheel marks and the clutch marks are 180 degrees apart.

I have an old flywheel laying around I can grab a pic of the marks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also make sure the flywheel marks and the clutch marks are 180 degrees apart.
Whats the technical reason for this ? The markings are hand made, and appear to indicate the points where the clutch kit and flywheel are balanced from the company.

However, if we are re-using the flywheel, it doesn't make any sense to try to align them with 180 offset.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Whats the technical reason for this ? The markings are hand made, and appear to indicate the points where the clutch kit and flywheel are balanced from the company.

However, if we are re-using the flywheel, it doesn't make any sense to try to align them with 180 offset.
As you suggest it's for balancing. This sheet of instructions comes with the clutch, let's see if it works:

https://webcat.zf.com/nc2_getfile.asp?0032001_MH10628.pdf|1eabcbb548f61cbe8714bcdc3a80f00c

Edit: Looks like it doesn't... you can get it by going to the zf webcat site https://webcat.zf.com/?SPR=4 then search for the clutch kit for the e60 m5, open the clutch kit PN then look under assembly information.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any shop that has ever done a BMW flywheel before should know. That said if you did it yourself, there is dowel on the crank on one of the bolt holes. On the front of the flyhwheel in hte center there is a marking that looks like ^-^ that marking lines up with the dowel pin. Now you reallly have to beat on it to get it to fit wrong, and if you do you might crush the dowel. IT's replaceable if you have to.

What aftermarket flywheel did you get?
the flywheel has clear markings on it ^-^, Roger That.
I think the mechanic just placed the flywheel on the crank, aligned the bolts, and went to town with the impact wrench, that's how they do it lol. There were shiny scrape marks on the dowel when he took the flywheel off. He doesn't clearly remember how it was aligned. I asked him to work on it slowly, hand torque it, and work on it in his free time :D, no need to rush with power tools on the flywheel and clutch.

--Fingers Crossed--

1 - 14 of 14 Posts