BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

2008 M5 Build Thread - Alpine White 6MT

7786 179
Happy to be joining the party guys. I just picked up a manual e60 - a car I've lusted over for years.

Here's a picture of the M5 back in 2019 before I owned it. My friend picked me up for a ride in it when I was in Houston for business and it was a ride that will stick with me for years to come :)

Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille Automotive lighting

My other vehicle is an E92 M3, also alpine white and manual.

Wheel Tire Cloud Car Vehicle

The story behind this car is pretty special. I'm from Newfoundland, Canada, the most eastern part of Canada. A friend of mine who I've known for decades was living in Houston up until a couple of months ago. He purchased the car in question back in 2019, and it suffered from a failed valve spring shortly after he picked it up. Being that my friend was extremely busy with family life and his job, the car sat, and sat...

Towards June of this year, it became apparent that my friend in Houston would be moving across the world to the middle east for work. I - being off work with free time on my hands - made the ridiculous decision to make the drive - approximately 7000 miles round trip (also two 12 hour ferry rides) picking up a trailer in Houston in my beater Dodge Ram (check out the odo). This was a crazy adventure and I'll start off the thread with some pictures from the road trip to get the car.

Speedometer Vehicle Cloud Car Sky

Map World Atlas Terrestrial plant Water
1 - 20 of 180 Posts

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
On day two, I made it to Waterville Maine for the night. It was shady there lol.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

The truck was having some weird diesel issues, so I did some troubleshooting before getting the SHADIEST HOTEL EVER for the night.

Asphalt Gas Road surface Automotive lighting Font

The next AM, I pressed onwards and made it to Christiansburg, VA. MUCH MUCH nicer hotel lol.

Cloud Sky Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Sky Land vehicle Cloud Car Wheel

Mirror Automotive side-view mirror Car Vehicle Automotive parking light
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The next day I drove like an absolute mad man and made it to League City Texas by ~ 2AM. It was a tough fourth day, and I was getting pretty burnt out from all the driving. This was my first long haul drive in my life really...

Sky Plant Motor vehicle Car Hood

Sky Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle Infrastructure

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

This was on a Thursday night (really Friday am). The next day was going to be a busy one.

I had to install some mud flaps on the truck in the am to prevent chipping the M5, buy a trailer at a local Houston trailer dealership, pick up the M5 from a TMJ Bimmers in Houston, and meet with a friend of my buddy's who had all the spare parts to the car which were in a local storage unit. ZZZZZZ

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So as I said... mud flaps... I wanted to get something on the truck because I'd be using an open deck trailer to bring the M5 back home, and I didn't want to send debris straight at the front of the car. I picked up a big ol 24x24" semi mud flap and cut that son ho in two, and attached with some random ORiellys hardware.

Plant Vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Wood Road surface Flooring Floor Asphalt

Cloud Sky Car Building Vehicle

TRAILER TIME!!!!

So I had never towed before at this point lol. TRIAL BY FIRE with the trailer place located on a 6 lane each direction freeway! It was nerve racking to say the least...

Sky Automotive parking light Cloud Tire Wheel

Here's the chariot, 18 foot with a 2 foot dovetail and 5 foot ramps.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And finally, what I was waiting for... The car!!!

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Here it is loaded, prior to heading to the storage unit. It's missing the front bumper and all kinds of other parts which need to be attached before heading back to Canada.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Automotive parking light

And here we are at the storage unit. Fatigue was starting to set in at this point again, having very little sleep the night before and on the way down from Canada the four days previous.

Car Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Miraculously after a few hours at the storage unit, I had the rad support, hood releases, headlights and front bumper installed for towing. The rest of the parts I loaded in the truck.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Up too late again...

Sky Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Street light

· Registered
2,410 Posts
Nice! Good luck on the way back.

Reactions: mhiscott

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone! I guess I wasn't very clear originally, haha, but I'm back and the journey is complete, I just have so much stuff to sift through that I'm slow getting caught up to speed here in the thread. There's adventures on the way back home that are pretty juicy :) Stay tuned for the next steps!

I made it back home the night of September 12th. The trip started early September.

There's mechanical issues with the car and a whole story to get into with that as well, but I'm getting ahead of myself :)

I'll get all the stuff about the return trip posted up tomorrow, and then we'll get into the real fun (wrenching!!!)

· Registered
974 Posts
This requires a lot of planning, pretty impressive story.

In my case, the M5 was about 2 hours away from home, in a little town in PA. It was a surprise buy, wanted to surprise my wife and kids with a new car. I took a one way rental, dropped car off, and drove the M5 back. My pre-purchase inspection involved walking around it once about two weekends back (all this was in 2017). It had no check engine light (seller had cleared it all off, and I didn't know). I brought the car back, and wife was very unhappy for a while with my spending habit; we had 3 cars already for 2 drivers.

My M5 came with muffler deletes, and I had the original mufflers in the trunk. My youngest one got into the passenger seat, and I started it. She instinctively reached for the radio volume knob and turned it down, and when it didn't work, she asked me "Can you reduce the volume please" lol. Next day, had the old mufflers back on at Mieneke.

· Registered
E60 M5 SMG
8 Posts
Thanks everyone! I guess I wasn't very clear originally, haha, but I'm back and the journey is complete, I just have so much stuff to sift through that I'm slow getting caught up to speed here in the thread. There's adventures on the way back home that are pretty juicy :) Stay tuned for the next steps!

I made it back home the night of September 12th. The trip started early September.

There's mechanical issues with the car and a whole story to get into with that as well, but I'm getting ahead of myself :)

I'll get all the stuff about the return trip posted up tomorrow, and then we'll get into the real fun (wrenching!!!)
Will you be starting a journal thread for maintenance as well? I’ve been forced to learn a lot about this specific M5 engine due to my vehicle also being (unbeknownst to me) a project vehicle. huge eye roll

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the kind words again guys. It's great to see an active forum in 2022. Most are dead and gone at this point. For a 38 year old like myself, I grew up on message boards. It's an absolute treat to see how engaged and supportive this group is.

I'm well aware of the maintenance issues and the like with these, and I'll be getting into the mechanical repairs parts and overall restoration in the posts that follow. I'm pretty seasoned from the years of owning the E92 M3. I do all my own work and cars are definitely more than a hobby for me (is addiction too strong a word?)

This was definitely the craziest lengths I've ever gone to get a car though.

Ok enough words, BACK TO THE PICS!

1 - 20 of 180 Posts