BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the transmission red cog, and this message on the dash. Car was sitting all day and I started it and moved it around. Then the red cog showed up. The car was in D3, and it wouldn't "display" anything else. I could move it to "3" and back to "D3". A "+" or "-" on the transmission lever or the paddles wouldn't change a thing. I could move the car to Reverse and the car would go back, yet the display stayed in D3. When i moved it to Neutral, it still stayed in D3.
For moving forward, when i gave it some gas, the RPMs would go up and the car would move forward very slowly.
I brought the car back home, was just around the block, and parked it, and went running with our doggie for an hour.

I come back and start the car, everything normal.
Speedometer Odometer Trip computer Car Tachometer

Automotive tire Automotive design Personal luxury car Gadget Font

From ISTA, it shows faults that are stored, but not present. After i cleared all the faults, the SMG faults didn't show up.

I have to say this: I have seen this happen before, the red cog showing up, when the season changes and gets colder.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
4F81 is rare, I don't think I have seen it before. I don't think it is the clutch valve either. They may indicative of upcoming issue. I would run bleeding routine 3 times and wait and see.
Double click on each SMG fault and let see the details.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds more like temporary electrical issues, maybe corroded electrical connectors.
Car has been sitting all day in cold and I tested it now, everything clean, no error codes.

I have seen the red cog show up during cold days, and this is the first time i have captured the error codes with ISTA+.
Will keep an eye on this and update.

I am not running any "routines" on the SMG; just not familiar what to expect and want to avoid getting into unknowns. I have seen nothing but trouble here when people thought they should clear adaptations or run bleeding routines and then it stops working completely or hangs or leaves the car in unusable state.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I've yet to have something come up with the car that was related to "it's cold" or "just a one off", with BMWs it's always indicative of an upcoming failure in my personal experience. Don't disagree with your drive it until its worse approach, the road to hell [BMW failure] is paved with good intentions and sometimes running those Service Functions brings about the absolute failure.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its been 3 cold mornings, and car is running clean. No issues at all. This appears to be some weird seasonal allergy. The red cog comes and goes ; seen it over the last 4+ years on cold mornings, just once per season, and then disappears.
For 4+ years ok !! Its not something that appears to be failing in the near future now.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
bleeding exercise is when it finally gave out and puked its internals - bleeding sealed the deal for her to take the thousand dollar ride home
If bleeding blow up the slave then the slave is already blown and the car shouldn't be driven because you will damage the SMG and gearbox which may cause more to replace, there must be an early symptom, but yeah running SMG routine far away from home/shop may not be a good idea, my comment here was specific to OP based on his symptoms.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts