BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know which forum is most appropo for this, but I knew you'd want to see this. Seems that BMW unveiled this new concept car today at the Concorso d'Eleganza at Villa d'Este. More info available at www.autoblog.com

Drool over this for a while ...

Attachments

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
My drool glands must be dry, because I sure as hell aint drooling.

Look at that front end! It's about as aerodynamic as a CRT monitor! Hell no, man. Was Bangle responsible for this one as well?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I'm with you Fitz...I LOVE IT !! @ DINY........and as for the front end..check out Andy Warhol's M1 Art Car (24hr Le Mans car ) that sure aint aerodynamic from the front but made 6th in 1979 .........NOT BAD FOR A BRICK !!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
WOW. I love it

·
Registered
98 Posts
Looks awesome! Stunning evolution from the original M1 design.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Looks awesome! Stunning evolution from the original M1 design.
+1

Like it!

Hope it doesnt depart too much from the concept, colour very Hot Rod:applause:

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Looks awesome!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is this to compete with audis r8?
BMW released more information today, and it appears to be strictly a concept car. The proper name is the M1 Homage. Just as well, I couldn't afford one anyway :blink:
Quoting from the blog..

"The M1 Homage is strictly a design exercise meant to celebrate an icon, but it also reminds us that Munich can do the supercar thing, too." [source: www.autoblog.com] More photos to be found there too.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Alright after a few more soak time, I'm liking it a bit. I still dont like the front, though. If I saw that on my rearview mirror, I'd think "what the hell is that..." but if I saw the rear quarters on the highway, then I'd think "OMFG WHAT IS THAT!??!?" with joy and excitement.

·
Banned
1,449 Posts
Not feeing it.And those ugly wheels again.:eek:

·
Registered
597 Posts
I really like it. It pays "homeage" to the old car without doing the retro thing that all makers seem to be doing right now. I would love to see this go into production.

Regarding the old M1. My uncle drove race cars at a high level for many years. My aunt wasn't enjoying him driving large prototype cars anymore and forced him to sell the McLaren Mk8D after a big off. He ended up selling / trading for a one year old BMW M1 race car. He wasn't very succseful in the car, but it was a big move into IMSA from SCCA "A". Moving from the front of the grid in a large prototype in club racing to a mid/back of the pack in a BMW road car with much better drivers. After one year in IMSA he sold the whole package to a team looking for a second M1 to add and had factory backing on the other one. They found him a brand new street car as part of the deal.

So with the family history of the M1, I have a huge love for that car. I was in Jr High at the time and my uncle would take me out in that car for a "trip to the store" and we would be gone for 2-3 hours. He loved to drive that car and I loved to ride in it.

Rob

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I am SOOOO pissed right now! I have been working on my own M1 concept off and on over the past few months (just for fun). It's pretty much fleshed out, but due to new baby an other higher priorities finishing it has been on the back burner. Sigh, hate being beaten to the punch. But at least the "real" one is meant as a nostalgia piece whereas mine is aimed at being a functional, produceable concept. I'll try to at least pen it and get some pics up asap (after Bimmerfest).

p.s. BMW's looks good :thumbsup:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Absolutely fantastic!! :applause:From every angle no less! I think they nailed it. :1:Too bad all we'll ever be able to do is talk about it...grrrrrrr

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
So concept for now? Any idea when it will come out for production.

QUESTION:
Hopefully I am not the only one that looked at this, but...... how are they going to get any light out of the headlights? Looks a little too narrow.

g
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

·
Registered
113 Posts
I love it

Will pester my contacts in munich to find out what the chances are.

The X6 started as just a concept and because of exeptional feedback was built close top what it looked like first shown

chris

1 - 20 of 35 Posts