BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the owners guide and just took a short drive to check some stuff out. I wonder if something is wrong.

Now when i start the car it goes into Drive Mode 3, D1 selected and M Dynamic mode for the stability, EDC normal, this must be default or how dealer set it

Now when I hit M on the wheel it goes into M Dynamic mode and car rocks but i cant get into S 6 even with DSC off.

Now when I use the buttons around the shifter it does not change what i see in M Drive. Why is this?

So if I click POWER i should be able to see 400, 500 and 500s on the screen but nothing changes, same is true for all other functions on the M Drive menu.

Can someone please explain this to me?

Lastly with DSC all off and M button hit I cant get into S6, is this just a feature until i hit first service?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Show a few snapshots of your config screen from iDrive.

I have not experienced the details you describe but now I am well pass break-in aka (Run-in) service.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cant do that now car is in garage but its strange it almost seems that the M drive is not coinciding with the buttons on the console. I hope this doesnt mean its normal if it is then every time you have to spend time with adjustments that makes me annoyed

its like my M drive is set a certain way i can use I drive controler to change settings and confirm but when i click the buttons on the console it should over ride what i changed and it doesnt.

someone has to know whats going on here

·
Registered
994 Posts
Forget M drive for now and do this.

Go to your car, turn it on. Then hit the DSC button. A yellow symbol should appear in the dash. You can then engage S6 by using the button in behind the SMG lever with the 5-bars on it.

M-drive takes fiddling and that's the best way to learn it. It confused me too but it doesn't sound like anything is wrong.

The buttons around the shifter do not impact M drive. You do that with the iDrive knob. The M button on the steering wheel, when activated, will reflect the changes you have made in M drive, including S6 (though get to know the car before using that setting)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just tried still not engaging S6

why is this M Drive there if it doesnt work off the buttons, stupid if you ask me

whats the purpose to confuse the crap at of you it makes very little sense if this is the way it is.

i wonder if this is software related or a under 1200 mile issue i only got 380 on the clock

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
M Dynamic mode for the stability
Turn off M Dynamic Mode and disable DSC and you will be able to get to S6.

I promise!;)
:cheers:

·
Registered
86 Posts
This seems silly, but make sure your tranny is NOT in "D" (Auto) when you try this. (In "D" mode the 6th bar is not available). DSC must be off and you must be in manual shift mode. If you are doing that and what everyone else says, I have no idea what you problem is.... :dunno:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Interestingly enough, it is the order you press the buttons which may be your problem.

If you set DSC off and S6 THEN press the "M" button, you will override all preious settings and the car will program to the "M" settings (programable in the I-Drive menu).

Try this: turn car on, press the "M" button, make sure the car in in manual mode, press the DSC button until you see a yellow symbol in the dash (usually only once from M-Dynamic Mode), you should also notice the shift pattern bar graph in the dash expand with one more bar available (only with DSC off), press the Shift Mode button to the right until all bars on the dash are lit up. You should now have the car in P500 Sport mode in S6 shift pattern with no DSC.

Good luck and be sure you know the car's power and characteristics well before experimenting with this setup.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have read the owners guide and just took a short drive to check some stuff out. I wonder if something is wrong.

Now when i start the car it goes into Drive Mode 3, D1 selected and M Dynamic mode for the stability, EDC normal, this must be default or how dealer set it

Now when I hit M on the wheel it goes into M Dynamic mode and car rocks but i cant get into S 6 even with DSC off.

Now when I use the buttons around the shifter it does not change what i see in M Drive. Why is this?

So if I click POWER i should be able to see 400, 500 and 500s on the screen but nothing changes, same is true for all other functions on the M Drive menu.

Can someone please explain this to me?

Lastly with DSC all off and M button hit I cant get into S6, is this just a feature until i hit first service?

When you start the car, you should be in N (neutral). Shifting into either manual sequential (S) or automatic (D) can be determined by how far to the right you move the shifter. The first indent is S, the second indent is D. S3 and D3 are the default tranny settings with DSC on, Power (400), EDC is a memory setting, so whatever it was when you turned off the engine will be the current setting.

The "M" button reconfigures these settings, much like a MACRO, which will execute many commands at a single push of a button. It will set Power to 400 or 500, or 500Sport, DSC toggle on or off, EDC settings, active lumbar settings and HUD settings all at once.

It is very likely that you have the tranny in D mode and can not access S6. Note its S6, so you have to have the gear numbers show on your dash rather than a D. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
117 Posts
just tried still not engaging S6

why is this M Drive there if it doesnt work off the buttons, stupid if you ask me

whats the purpose to confuse the crap at of you it makes very little sense if this is the way it is.

i wonder if this is software related or a under 1200 mile issue i only got 380 on the clock
Come on, Phil! Even I know how this works....from day 1! :eek:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
M5TekNYC,

Dude! What's up? :confused2

Tell us how you worked it out. :1zhelp:

No embarrassment here. ouich You asked the original question and received numerous pieces of advise. Now I am curious, what was the issue?:applause:
cherrsagai

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For sure its a programming issue. It still stays in S5 with DSC off. I drive wont let me select S6, S6 doesnt highlight itself. If I use the button on the console i can turn it all the way up but i still think it needs to be in S6 via I drive to be fully active. when i toggle from D to S on the shfiter it drops to S5 again.

I only have 600 miles and I wonder if this is fixed after the first service but I will bring it up when I drop the car off.

I did hear the new M3 has some limiter inside the software so the car cant over rev until the first service or something of the nature, some agreed and others didnt so I dont know the facts. Maybe the 08 M5 is the same

I think the fact that M Drive and the buttons on the console are not working in conjunction is plain stupid in design.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Your very confused.

It sounds like you are doing something wrong. You can't program S6 via IDrive. It can only be set with the DSC off then hit the buttong below the shifter. It has to be done manually each time you want to use it.

Do you know how to go from S1 to S2 to S3 to S4 to S5? If so deactivate DSC and go from S5 to S6.

For sure its a programming issue. It still stays in S5 with DSC off. I drive wont let me select S6, S6 doesnt highlight itself. If I use the button on the console i can turn it all the way up but i still think it needs to be in S6 via I drive to be fully active. when i toggle from D to S on the shfiter it drops to S5 again.

I only have 600 miles and I wonder if this is fixed after the first service but I will bring it up when I drop the car off.

I did hear the new M3 has some limiter inside the software so the car cant over rev until the first service or something of the nature, some agreed and others didnt so I dont know the facts. Maybe the 08 M5 is the same

I think the fact that M Drive and the buttons on the console are not working in conjunction is plain stupid in design.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know how it works it makes no sense why I drive blocks you from selecting S6. This is the point in making and when i do it manually and if i move the shifter to D then back to S it is in S5, its like a default. I am not too worried now about this i was just feeling out what other owners see and feel with these buttons.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That's normal.

When you are in S6 and move to a Drive setting like D5. And then move back to Sequental (S mode) it will default to S5. The reason is that when you move to the D mode it re-engages DSC. Then when you move it back to S you will be in S5 because DSC is active.

It's normal....

I know how it works it makes no sense why I drive blocks you from selecting S6. This is the point in making and when i do it manually and if i move the shifter to D then back to S it is in S5, its like a default. I am not too worried now about this i was just feeling out what other owners see and feel with these buttons.

·
Registered
191 Posts
That's it. As I recall, it's only after the 1200-mile service that the S6 mode (which is much harder on the tranny than the others) is unlocked. Until then, S5 is all you get.

By default, when you turn on the car, you get P400, D3, DSC on.

In the iDrive menu, you can set whatever state you want to be in when you hit the M button. For instance, I have mine set to P500S, MDM, EDC Sport. I'd prefer to set it to S6, DSC off, but the only way to access M-dynamic mode is to set it in your M-button. I can't drive it with the full DSC, it cuts in way too much.

In addition, you can monkey around with the buttons all you want. The only way to redefine your M-button settings is through iDrive.

So, find somewhere 300 miles away, drive there and back, then go to your dealer. Nothing compares to the change in character the car undergoes when you engage P500S and S6.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad we all agree on this here.

I wish there was just 1 button for all out ballz instead of all this fussing around garbage. Like i said since I Drive didnt hightlight S6 i knew it was software related.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Are you sure

I was able to get S6 when I had 2 miles on the car.

That's it. As I recall, it's only after the 1200-mile service that the S6 mode (which is much harder on the tranny than the others) is unlocked. Until then, S5 is all you get.

By default, when you turn on the car, you get P400, D3, DSC on.

In the iDrive menu, you can set whatever state you want to be in when you hit the M button. For instance, I have mine set to P500S, MDM, EDC Sport. I'd prefer to set it to S6, DSC off, but the only way to access M-dynamic mode is to set it in your M-button. I can't drive it with the full DSC, it cuts in way too much.

In addition, you can monkey around with the buttons all you want. The only way to redefine your M-button settings is through iDrive.

So, find somewhere 300 miles away, drive there and back, then go to your dealer. Nothing compares to the change in character the car undergoes when you engage P500S and S6.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts