BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sat in an 08 today and really don't understand why the changes were made. IMO they were for the worse. Doors are the same as a Honda or gasp... Mercedes. I can see the wood trim being brought over to the door in a more seemless fashion, but I don't like it. Not to mention the odd position of the window controls.

I like the speakers being exposed I suppose.

Why did BMW do it?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
One thing I know they did was add the multifunction buttons because of complaints about the I-drive. Simple programmable buttons that eliminate having to go into I-drive definitely make sense. I really dislike that the doors aren't symmetrical anymore.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Changed the drivers door handle so your knee doesnt hit it all the time. It hate that.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Asymmetry is a beautiful thing.......very organic. As far as I recall the wood trim hasn't changed on the doors or the window controls. Easy answer, buy an 07 or something else.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Agreed, door change was for the worse. '07 was clean, subtle and refined even if a tad linear and techie. The '08 door gets a round speaker splatted onto the door as if it should be a focal point. The accent on the door below the window is overkill from a design perspective... junks it up. Nice when you forget to close your windows and that gets wet. Driver side window controls are way awkward.

BMW must be going mass market and doing focus groups to appeal to the gals and girlie-men. To me it's about the engineering and purity. The creature comforts part of it is necessary but needs to be restrained and understated.

And what's with the iDrive? Do people really fiddle with stuff so much that the dash, wheel and console needs to be cluttered with buttons? Use the voice commands. Drive don't fiddle.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Agreed, door change was for the worse. '07 was clean, subtle and refined even if a tad linear and techie. The '08 door gets a round speaker splatted onto the door as if it should be a focal point. The accent on the door below the window is overkill from a design perspective... junks it up. Nice when you forget to close your windows and that gets wet. Driver side window controls are way awkward.

BMW must be going mass market and doing focus groups to appeal to the gals and girlie-men. To me it's about the engineering and purity. The creature comforts part of it is necessary but needs to be restrained and understated.

And what's with the iDrive? Do people really fiddle with stuff so much that the dash, wheel and console needs to be cluttered with buttons? Use the voice commands. Drive don't fiddle.
if that's how you feel, great. Just explain why you ordered an 08 for European delivery? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts

OK. Tell me the voice command to change the center vent temp from cold to warm and vice versa.

Answer: "Center vent temperature". Guess what? it only works when already on the ventilation settings screen. In the sping and fall in Charlotte I have to change it twice a day, to warm in the morning and to cool in the hot afternoons. Quite a pain even in the driveway. Much improved in the '08s with the one touch button into the setting. You still have to touch the button, reach back and spin the iDrive knob. Two motions instead of the old-fashion one motion wheel. At least it goes back to the previous iDrive screen. Pre LCI, you had to manually go all the way back.

The same can be said for many other new one touch buttons, a welcomed improvement but still more difficult to use than simple buttons.

PS: I have a mere 550i but much prefer the '08 interior look to the older one. to me, it looks like a $70k (or $90k M5) should. Plus its more like the E39 which has the best looking interior ever.

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Why the animosity towards the '08? Can't keep the same look forever. The interior would eventually become dated.
In any case if you dont own an '08, why does it bother you?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I like all the visual changes to the LCI '08 interior ... except the placement of the driver's window controls. They slant down and away from the driver making them harder to reach/feel whereas in my '06 550i, the controls faced the driver and were higher up. Easy to spot, easy to use.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I, too, prefer my '06 interior styling. I really dislike the shiny, plastic gear shift surround on the '08.

·
Registered
155 Posts
if that's how you feel, great. Just explain why you ordered an 08 for European delivery? :dunno:
I'm getting an '08 because (as tart as my assessment was) I am able to compromise. I don't hate the '08, I just think there is change for the sake of change. Classic sales and marketing stuff; people love change, that's what gets people to buy the latest gizmo. I like change too but not in this case.

I must be in the minority... I am a minimalist. I get in the car, turn climate control on or off, windows open if its nice, steering wheel heat if its cold, seat heat if its really cold, radio and the iDrive display goes off. That's it. I've bored down every menu and seen what's there. It's all very cool. I especially got a kick out of being able to adjust how high my tailgate opens!

To each his own.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wait.. "how high the tailgate opens?" wtf?

I'm getting an '08 because (as tart as my assessment was) I am able to compromise. I don't hate the '08, I just think there is change for the sake of change. Classic sales and marketing stuff; people love change, that's what gets people to buy the latest gizmo. I like change too but not in this case.

I must be in the minority... I am a minimalist. I get in the car, turn climate control on or off, windows open if its nice, steering wheel heat if its cold, seat heat if its really cold, radio and the iDrive display goes off. That's it. I've bored down every menu and seen what's there. It's all very cool. I especially got a kick out of being able to adjust how high my tailgate opens!

To each his own.

·
Registered
155 Posts
wait.. "how high the tailgate opens?" wtf?
I have a 530xiT as my daily driver and am adding a beast to the stable for weekends.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I actually hated the interior of the 5er untill the facelift, the way the door handle met the A pillar was ugly , the 08 in much nicer!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts