BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi M6 Forum Team,

I'm new to the BMW M6 Forum looking to make a BIG purchase next couple days on a 2008 BMW M6 Convertible with 50K miles and Im getting butterflies. . I'm so excited to hopefully own and drive an M6 and I'm also concerned all the war stories I've read where the M6 owners ended up paying 10k plus for repairs within first year. No, there's no crystal ball showing the future for the M6 or any used car and wanted to get some feedback on a 2008 M6 convertible with 50k miles what I should expect. It the 2008 a good year? Clean Carfax and looks great. I drive the car for the first time tomorrow and to be honest with you, I've never driven one of these cars and so excited. I'm also thinking of getting an extended warranty just to get peace of mind. Of course these warranties are 3 to 5k depending on length of coverage. Thoughts on extended warranties?

The M6 is a car I've always wanted to own and drive and I'm so close. Just need a little assurance and prayers I don't end up with a lemon.

Thanks in advance!

Soon To Be M6 Owner (Fingers Crossed)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi I bought a 2007 this year and love it. Mine has about the same mileage. I really wonder if spending the $5k on new rod bearings and a really solid tune up would be money better spent than on the warranty. The v10 is a bucket list thing. Let us know how the test ride goes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I purchased my '08 convertible 6spd about a month ago. I've wanted one of these for years but was also a bit hesitant given the reputation. Below are the considerations which were based off of research and just my sense of things, along with some general thoughts for you. Don't take these to be the final word.

- I only wanted '08+. Many of the flaws with these cars/engines seemed to have been identified pretty early on in the production run. The issues weren't eliminated, but they seemed significantly fewer in number on the later years.

- Wanted a full maintenance history with records. I found the service notes helpful bc they list if the mechanic finds something and the owner declines fix. To me that's one of the more reliable ways to see how well it was taken care of.

- No more than two owners

- I wanted to see consistently low yearly mileage on the service records. If someone was putting 10K miles a year on the engine, it tells me it was their daily driver. That was important b/c I doubt most people (even enthusiasts) are going to go through a full warm-up every time they want to drive somewhere.

- With any used M car, I anticipate I will spend about $2k within the first few months of my ownership getting maintenance items addressed. This isn't specific to these, just any M.

- Could you handle $10K repairs in the first year (not saying you would be happy, but could you reasonably do that)? It's certainly possible depending on how the car/engine was treated before hand, but probably not as likely as you're imagining. Remember that people are far more likely to get on a forum to vent than to tell how awesome the experience was. The good news is that for $10K you could fix most all of the major issues and have a pretty bullet-proof car.

- I would not buy an extended warranty. You will have a hard time finding one given the age of the car and, when you do, it will not be cheap (I know guys were paying $3k-$5k for warranties back around 2014; seems likely they would be higher than that now).

- If it's private party (ignore if it's a dealership), just talk to the owner about the car and you might get a good sense of how it was treated. People will talk if you let them; I wouldn't let on that you know much of anything about the car other than it looks really cool. Also note things about the surroundings. If the owner of the car looks like his house cost less than $200K, that would be a red flag. Ask him if he wouldn't mind driving first for a bit (maybe you're apprehensive to back out of driveway or want to see how SMG works...whatever). Could give you good insight into how the owner treats the car.

- If you aren't financially comfortable, then I think the anxiety of a potential issue would outweigh any of the positives in owning one. I expected going in that my anxiety level will be raised a bit for the first 12mo until I get comfortable (and this is coming from someone who can afford to fix it without changing my financial situation).

All that said, remember that you see these cars for sale all the time (relatively given their numbers) with 120K on the clock at the shady Elite Auto Imports corner car lots. They wouldn't have made it there is they were as bad as the forums would have you believe. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I purchased my '08 convertible 6spd about a month ago. I've wanted one of these for years but was also a bit hesitant given the reputation. Below are the considerations which were based off of research and just my sense of things, along with some general thoughts for you. Don't take these to be the final word.

- I only wanted '08+. Many of the flaws with these cars/engines seemed to have been identified pretty early on in the production run. The issues weren't eliminated, but they seemed significantly fewer in number on the later years.

- Wanted a full maintenance history with records. I found the service notes helpful bc they list if the mechanic finds something and the owner declines fix. To me that's one of the more reliable ways to see how well it was taken care of.

- No more than two owners

- I wanted to see consistently low yearly mileage on the service records. If someone was putting 10K miles a year on the engine, it tells me it was their daily driver. That was important b/c I doubt most people (even enthusiasts) are going to go through a full warm-up every time they want to drive somewhere.

- With any used M car, I anticipate I will spend about $2k within the first few months of my ownership getting maintenance items addressed. This isn't specific to these, just any M.

- Could you handle $10K repairs in the first year (not saying you would be happy, but could you reasonably do that)? It's certainly possible depending on how the car/engine was treated before hand, but probably not as likely as you're imagining. Remember that people are far more likely to get on a forum to vent than to tell how awesome the experience was. The good news is that for $10K you could fix most all of the major issues and have a pretty bullet-proof car.

- I would not buy an extended warranty. You will have a hard time finding one given the age of the car and, when you do, it will not be cheap (I know guys were paying $3k-$5k for warranties back around 2014; seems likely they would be higher than that now).

- If it's private party (ignore if it's a dealership), just talk to the owner about the car and you might get a good sense of how it was treated. People will talk if you let them; I wouldn't let on that you know much of anything about the car other than it looks really cool. Also note things about the surroundings. If the owner of the car looks like his house cost less than $200K, that would be a red flag. Ask him if he wouldn't mind driving first for a bit (maybe you're apprehensive to back out of driveway or want to see how SMG works...whatever). Could give you good insight into how the owner treats the car.

- If you aren't financially comfortable, then I think the anxiety of a potential issue would outweigh any of the positives in owning one. I expected going in that my anxiety level will be raised a bit for the first 12mo until I get comfortable (and this is coming from someone who can afford to fix it without changing my financial situation).

All that said, remember that you see these cars for sale all the time (relatively given their numbers) with 120K on the clock at the shady Elite Auto Imports corner car lots. They wouldn't have made it there is they were as bad as the forums would have you believe. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Thank you for the great insight! I did check out the the 2008 BMW M6 on Friday and after driving it, I fell in love with it and bought it. I pick it up next week and so excited. It has 50k miles and only had two owners. Seems to be well taken care of and Im looking forward to driving it soon. Once I pick it up, I'll take a picture and upload it to the forum.

·
Registered
2009 BMW E63 M6, Sapphire Black
178 Posts
Hi I bought a 2007 this year and love it. Mine has about the same mileage. I really wonder if spending the $5k on new rod bearings and a really solid tune up would be money better spent than on the warranty. The v10 is a bucket list thing. Let us know how the test ride goes.
did you price warranties? are they available?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did you price warranties? are they available?
I did and they are available for the M6. The best deal (Pricing Below) thus so far looks to be Liberty Bell Auto. Libertybellauto.com

Of course after reading reviews on most of the extended warranty companies including Liberty Bell, there are always pro and cons working with extended warranties. They all talk a BIG game and will cover the world. And they are not cheap either. I have quotes from 3k to 6k for 36 month term and of course when you need to submit for a claim, they seem to look for ways not to pay to repair the car. Every situation is different and I have read where certain repairs were covered. I'm still not 100% sure I'm going to go with an extended warranty package. Im getting an oil change next week at a BMW dealership and will pick their brain how everything looks and drives.

Here's one of the links I reviewed that went through the extended warranty companies out there.

Hope it helps: Best extended car warranty services 2020: Reputable auto warranties

Good luck!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you ended up purchasing, make sure to start a new thread and post some pics!

Here's my new baby and shes awesome!! Too much fun and so glad I made the decision to own one of these M6 beasts. I spent months looking all over the country for the right M6 and feel I picked a good one with only two owners and Carfax shows all routine maintenance was completed with no accidents. As we know, Carfax isn't always accurate for many reasons and to be sure I purchased a decent car that wasn't in any wrecks or beat up, I had a body shop and BMW mechanic check it out. Everything seems to be in good working order. Knock on wood of course! I've already put $$$$ aside to cover those unfortunate repair expenses when that time does come. As we all know with high-end sports cars, going to play, have to pay.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Chris Bangle said that the 6-series didn't photograph well, but this picture is definitely the exception. This has to be my favorite angle to capture the car. Looks great. Congratulations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chris Bangle said that the 6-series didn't photograph well, but this picture is definitely the exception. This has to be my favorite angle to capture the car. Looks great. Congratulations.
Thanks Chris! Yes I do lover this car and so glad I made the purchase. Too much fun.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Treat the baby right and she will be good to you bro. Congrats on the purchase.
Thank you! Yes Im treating her well and got her first oil change this past Tuesday. They said there was no metal flakes in the oil which made me feel better. Knock on wood of course. My next oil change Im going to keep some of the oil to send in to get it tested. Like many, Im a little concerned about the rod bearing issues that can happen. Im thinking of getting the rod bearings replaced at 60 to 70k miles just to have peace of mind. I do plan on keeping this car for life as my sports car. Love it!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I recently paid off mine and knocked off a good chunk on my wifes X6 35i. So i was in the market for a ZR1 or ZO6 My dilema was im keeping my baby on full coverage then ill be adding another car payment, tack on the additional insurance. To top it off if I want to continue driving my baby. I will have to fork out the preventative maintenance costs as well.
In the end i commited to not getting into another car payment and instead decided to use what i would have paid monthly and put it into my baby.
I changed .my rod bearings at 103k miles along with the vanos, both thrittle body actuators, tune up, new brakes and rotors, rear differential, clutches , transmission, SMG pump, motor mounts and the list goes on.
I am now fixing to redo the clear bra and black top, coilovers , power pulley kit, gintani or AFE intake, and a custom tune.
Its all been money worth spent in my opinion. I love the whole driving experience and the roar of the V-10. Keep in mind how more of a rare car it becomes each year that goes by.
I drive my baby every chance I get all with the underdstanding that the more you drive the more wear and tear. Meaning maintenance cost will never truly go away. Personally i did not get mine to lock her up in my garage.
As for your rod bearing issue. Alot depends on how the previous owner treated the car. Did they kerp up with the maintenance, did they drive it hard etc. Which of course who knows. But sending in your oil is a sure way to stay on top of it. Then again why not do it for peace of mind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts