• 650i

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both cars at around 50k miles. What do you think would be the better car for DD? I do not have to commute too far 25 miles there and back so comfort isnt too necessary, at this point what would be the better sports car? Looks and performance wise? I know tje 650 has a lil more output but it weighs like 800 lbs more..I want a 6speed forsure amd be able to mod it in the future. I just wamt to hear from you board members your stories with these cars and recommendations and opinions.

·
Registered
555 Posts
my dad previously had a 2008 e64 650i and it was an AMAZING car. definitely a great dd and i'm sure maintenance cost is lower than the porsche and reliability isn't an issue. highly recommend this car. check if it is a late production '08, that would be favorable on the electrical system end of the deal

i'm sure george (gkinvest) can chime in about the 996

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
In Memoriam
2,400 Posts
Yea your on an M board trying to get a 650 lol. Get a civic or something for a DD or X5

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

The gentleman asked a very kind question.
M6 board or not, this is not the kind of answer expected.

I strongly suggest that if you do not have something to say relevant to the question, better keep silent.

As for the 650i it is a an overall better and more reliable car than the M6, so sarcasm and ironies better stay on the sidelines.

George:nono:

·
In Memoriam
2,400 Posts
my dad previously had a 2008 e64 650i and it was an AMAZING car. definitely a great dd and i'm sure maintenance cost is lower than the porsche and reliability isn't an issue. highly recommend this car. check if it is a late production '08, that would be favorable on the electrical system end of the deal

i'm sure george (gkinvest) can chime in about the 996

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Thank you my friend.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion.
The Porsche Carrera 9964s and of course the 9974s, are far superior cars to the 650.
As a matter of fact the 9974s is far superior to the M6.

A car is not only about raw power.
Handling, brakes, suspension, reliability are to be seriously considered.

Roads are not only straight lines and good cars and drivers show their talents on twisted mountain roads and not in cheap road racing.

Take a 9974s and an M6 and come to the track.
After the first couple of hard braking, brakes are gone. After a couple of rounds, rear suspension is gone and rear tires overheated.

Pit stop. Permanent.

In the meantime the 4s is doing rounds and rounds and rounds and the driver keeps smiling.

As for maintenance costs ?
50% cheaper than a 650i and 75% cheaper than an M6.

Question easily answered.

9964s. No debate.

George:cheers:

·
In Memoriam
2,400 Posts
Proof of the above stated opinion.

This is a 997.1 Carrera 4s. Modded to the absolute extreme two years ago by Gemballa in Germany.
Bored and stroked to 4.2 l and supercharged.
610 crank horses and 600Nm torque.

It is my daily car. I have put 33.000 miles on it during the last two tears. No issues. None !
Maintenance cost :

Two oil and filter changes ( 750$ total ).
One brake pad change ( Pagid RS29 ) 600$.

Total 1350$.

Fuel consumption with pedal to the metal -35% compared to the M6 I owned.

Some pictures.

George

Attachments

·
Registered
615 Posts
Both cars at around 50k miles. What do you think would be the better car for DD? I do not have to commute too far 25 miles there and back so comfort isnt too necessary, at this point what would be the better sports car? Looks and performance wise? I know tje 650 has a lil more output but it weighs like 800 lbs more..I want a 6speed forsure amd be able to mod it in the future. I just wamt to hear from you board members your stories with these cars and recommendations and opinions.
They are such radically different cars that it is hard to compare. The 650 is a luxury GT Cruiser with nice power and ok handling, it is NOT a sports car. The 996 is a sports car, not as much luxury but hellacious handling. You would need to drive both to see what you think is best.

Despite what has been said, the 6 is not for the faint of heart. You will most likely see every seal in the car leaking oil at about 60k miles and up, the cooling system expansion tank is prone to failure, it has a problematic design in that the valley pipe goes through the middle of the engine and will fail from 75k to 100k miles. Then you have valve seals that fail anywhere from 60k to 150k (no one can predict, but usually on the lower side), if you don't fix you will drive a car that gushes white smoke out of the tailpipe.

The oil leaks will run around $1500 to fix, the valley pipe $2500 (aftermarket retrofit at indie) to $7000 (OEM dealer repair) to fix, the valve stems from $5k to $7k. Plus all the normal things that in a car typically is inexpensive and fairly easy to fix like an alternator is way harder and more expensive to fix since they are buried and require significant labor to change.

The 6 is a great car but definitely has it's challenges also! Welcome to the world of BMW.

·
Registered
340 Posts
only concerns with the 996 is the RMS, if you can afford to upgrade to the 997 then hands down that's the number 1 choice by a country mile

:applause:

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
If it is sports you want, the Porsche all the way. I had a 2008 6 which I drove before the M6 and of course there is no comparison between the two. I have had no maintenance issues with either BMW but am suspect of higher mileage (50,000) and up specimen. I've had six Porsche's in my day and although have never kept one long enough to hit that mileage, the only issue I ever had was the Turbo which just died on me one day. It was promptly fixed-something about the cars main control unit and never had another problem.
In my experience, Mercedes far worse for repairs than BMW, but 6 series coupe much bigger than a 911 but 911 rougher-riding.. Between the two and both have some miles, no doubt Porsche.
George-i love the interior especially of that car. looks like a baseball glove!
Bill

·
In Memoriam
2,400 Posts
If it is sports you want, the Porsche all the way. I had a 2008 6 which I drove before the M6 and of course there is no comparison between the two. I have had no maintenance issues with either BMW but am suspect of higher mileage (50,000) and up specimen. I've had six Porsche's in my day and although have never kept one long enough to hit that mileage, the only issue I ever had was the Turbo which just died on me one day. It was promptly fixed-something about the cars main control unit and never had another problem.
In my experience, Mercedes far worse for repairs than BMW, but 6 series coupe much bigger than a 911 but 911 rougher-riding.. Between the two and both have some miles, no doubt Porsche.
George-i love the interior especially of that car. looks like a baseball glove!
Bill
LMAO !!!

What else could I expect from my Irishbimmer friend ?

Georgeouichcherrsagai

1 - 14 of 14 Posts