BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front struts are dead, flat out dead. I can move my wheels up and down with my hand when jacked up.
These are my choices currently (mine have 156K on them):
1. Used Pair on ebay, with 75K miles, from a 2007 M5 for $220.(seller says they are in good condition)
2. New unbranded pair for $750.
3. Genuine BMW for $2400
(^ all without taxes)

Lastly, Bilsteins for $1200(They have the EDC cables coming from the bottom, which should be routed to the top using cables that are provided, from FCPEuro website).

Trying out the most cost efficient solution makes sense to me, if they can give a firm ride for$220, will happily try them. Is there any way to test the "strength" of the struts ? Thanks!

·
Registered
623 Posts
If you're going to keep it for a while, the Bilstein through fcp would be the best. I did bilstein all around (not the coilover), and it rides great. I thought it was stiff when I first drove it, but I probably thought that coming from blown oem shocks that made the car ride every bump like an old buick.

·
Registered
2006 BMW M5 6 Speed Manual Conversion
585 Posts
I just posted the potential solution for tired EDC stocks. If it works, it's much cheaper soution while ending up new and high quality suspension.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just switched to Bilstein B6, seems to be an actual upgrade over stock. I also did new mounts/bolts/pads/bearings. Most of that other stuff was shot. Easy routing for the wiring, and there's openings and channels to run the wires through - no worries there.

I do still have the original front struts from the 2010, about 80,000 miles on them if you want to install those instead ($200 plus ship?). They seem to be fine, though more free in movement than the B6 so surely there is some wear there.

·
Administrator
4,187 Posts
Bet all used ones out there either have lost all gas pressure or at least have a 'bubble' inside. Been there done that. Do they extend by themselves? If not = no gas pressure. If they still extend just compress and release them by hand. Is there like an inch of travel before they start damping? There's a bubble inside.

My vote goes to B6s.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Am not throwing away mine, keeping them in shrink wraps.
The EDC struts for an e31 (840-850) are NA and there is a company in Norway refurbishing the hardware if it’s available.

Also, am under a strict budget.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After a lot of thinking, studying, and researching, this is what I think: The $700 struts (for two) advertised on eBay is a rip off of genuine BMW struts(aka stolen off the manufacturing line), without the stamping. An EDC strut has extremely complicated electro-magnetic-mechanical architecture inside them, and you can't cook it in your oven in China. Its akin to my Ignition Coil research ( Ignition coils. ).

I would love to get my hands on them and compare them inch by inch, ounce by ounce, to the genuine originals on the car.
The used ones with 75K miles for $220 (including shipping) is too tempting; and I may go with them for now, and get another 3-5 years from them. Am extremely constrained in my budget for this car. If i can get a job done for $220, there is no way i am going to spend $2400 on original new ones.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the impact of driving with worn struts? I can feel the shock going through the car when i hit some bumps, or potholes. Will there be any other damage? (Ignore the issues with alignment of the front wheels and uneven wear of tires for the moment).

·
Registered
2008 6MT M5 Interlagos Blue
42 Posts
@sunghyun7 @T304 did you guys buy the full kit from FCP to get it all refreshed at once?

Only in EDC sport mode (2 lights), if the car is fully loaded up with 4 people, I hear a low-pitch squeak from the suspension over large bumps. Still drives fine and can feel the firmness though.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By replacing one bushing at a time, or one strut at a time, we are breaking the integrity of the front-end. Once some component wears out, we are transferring undue load onto others. Control arms should all be replaced at the same time.

I am changing one bushing at a time, trust me - i drive the car, and it just feels sloppy still. Just don't have that tight feeling.

·
Registered
623 Posts
sunil, the biggest difference I felt was when you're driving on freeway at high speeds over an overpass area with slight arch. with blown oem shocks, on the other side of the arch, the car felt airy with slight bounce as it came back down. It also feels always too comfortable on normal roads with blown oem shocks--almost rides like a cadillac. With working struts, you'll feel the car always follow the contour of the road and doesn't "bounce" on those overpasses. It's kinda hard to explain. you also may see your right height sag with blown oem shocks. i didn't measure but the car looked a little higher with new shocks to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts