BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Hello all, Im a newbie in this forum and looking for some input and advice.

Im in the market for a 6er to replace my current 2002 E39.

I found and test drove a 2007 M6 with 55k miles on the clock and the dealer wants $44k out the door.
I fell in love with the car but Im contemplating ...

Will it be practical as it will be a daily driven car? I only drive about 40-60 miles a day.
Since its a high mileage M6, will be the "up keep" cost me an arm and a leg as it doesn't have any warranty?

I also found a 2007 650i with 45k miles, CPO(6yrs or 100k miles) and dealer wants $34k plus tax & license.

If you guys were to pick, which car will you drive home?
Any input from you guys will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would pick the M6 over a 650 any day. The running cost for the M6 would be higher, but the fun factor of the M6 would win me over. if you're only doing low miles then the M6 for would be my choice.

·
Registered
63 Posts
buy the M6 for sure no matter how much you drive and lease a prius for 200+tax/mo. Nothing like the M6 v10 roaring up to 8000+ rpm and nothing like the Prius' 50mpg. LOL.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Buy an M6 and keep your E39 as a daily driver. I picked up my M6 last year with the similar mindset but soon bought another one to use as daily driver since M6 was too nice to drive daily.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Buy an M6 and keep your E39 as a daily driver.
That's like saying "my girlfriend is so gorgeous, I only have sex with her once a month."

Reactions: gkinvest

·
Registered
410 Posts
That's like saying "my girlfriend is so gorgeous, I only have sex with her once a month."
I've always liked the saying "Not driving your car to keep the miles off it is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she looks more attractive for the next guy"

·
Registered
705 Posts
Ok boys. So back on track. No comparison; buy an M6 and don't worry about the lesser model. Really.

·
Registered
266 Posts
i agree with keeping e39 as daily driver and pulling the trigger on the m6 if you can afford it. that is the beginning of a serious fleet.

·
Registered
648 Posts
The M6 is the way to go. There really is no comparison unless you do not appreciate the major increase in all around performance.

I was recently thinking about getting a daily driver, really something that could handle the snow. I decided to get snow tires for the M6, so I can continue to enjoy the time with my beautiful girlfriend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got my white/silverstone M6 cabrio last June (10) as a second car, and have really enjoyed it. Nothing like the power of this car....

I may be selling it though, because I will be splitting my time between LA and Boulder, and will be in market for an X5-M for the snow..... (may need a new forum hiha). If you're interested in hearing more about my car drop me a note and I'll give you the full run-down.....(2007, 43k miles, factory warranty until Mar. 2011, $49K).

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I "only" drive my M6 30 miles a day (round trip) as a work commute. And it's a great daily driver unless you spend a lot of time in stop and go traffic. Then the gas consumption will just be horrible and no car is fun in that kind of traffic. Its comfortable and quiet car even stuck in traffic, but it begs for open road or curving sweepers.

I had a 2005 645Ci and I now have a 2010 M6. Same basic car (in term of size, comfort, luxury, creature features), but the M6 is what a BMW driver really wants, so go for it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi All,

Hello all, Im a newbie in this forum and looking for some input and advice.

Im in the market for a 6er to replace my current 2002 E39.

I found and test drove a 2007 M6 with 55k miles on the clock and the dealer wants $44k out the door.
I fell in love with the car but Im contemplating ...

Will it be practical as it will be a daily driven car? I only drive about 40-60 miles a day.
Since its a high mileage M6, will be the "up keep" cost me an arm and a leg as it doesn't have any warranty?

I also found a 2007 650i with 45k miles, CPO(6yrs or 100k miles) and dealer wants $34k plus tax & license.

If you guys were to pick, which car will you drive home?
Any input from you guys will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mark
That seems like alot for the ammount of miles on it, I am selling mine for a little more but have a lot of work done and has a warranty untill July 2011...2007 BMW M6 - TAMPA BAY AUTO EXCHANGE INC HOLIDAY, FL

·
In Memoriam
2,398 Posts
Folks,

Although I am almost in line with what everyone said, let me be the one with the privilege of the doubt in this thread. 55k miles and no warranty ? The dice is rolling and you can't really know what kind of bills wait around the corner.

The OP asked a straight question. Will it cost an arm and a leg to maintain ??? well, maybe yes, maybe no. But we all know vey well that when these "girlfriends" get nasty, they can drive your mind and pocket crazy.

Please don't hate me for being rational, but I would prefer the "lesser" 650i with warranty for at least 2 more years over the M6. I have been hit and hit bad in the past by "nice deals". No thank you.

George

·
Registered
21 Posts
Easy fix. Buy an extended warranty, and enjoy driving the beast (equivalent to having sex with the gorgeous model) every day.
You may want to check if the car qualifies for extended maintenance from BMW (for addl 2 yrs).
My experience, I run numbers on my M6 '07 (warranty just expired), decided to get an extended warranty and pass on the extended maintenance as it will be pretty much what I'll spend anyway throughout the 2 yrs ...
At that time the new M5 or M6 will show up on my driveway (I guess...) I thought for a while to change it as warranty was about to expire, but couldn't find a clear, BETTER option with such a compelling case of performance, comfort which can be enjoyed for daily use. In fact, I just can't stop using it as a daily driver (50 miles daily commute) ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts